ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

Episode080.jpg?w=484

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back with an explosion of two-fisted adventure, daring escapes and gratuitous Zeppelins!

To coincide with the impending release of Pulp Cthulhu, we discuss what pulp means to us and how it contrasts with purist play. We then go into some detail about what to expect from Pulp Cthulhu and how it differs from everyday Call of Cthulhu. And then finally we punch a Nazi in the face, because pulp.

#62 noahghola

noahghola

Master

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:03 PM

What accurst stories might Pulp Cthulhu portray...? Only one way to find out: listen to The Good Friends of Jackson Elias.

Love this show. It's one of my favorite podcasts (not just when it comes to gaming.) While listening to this episode was struck with the idea of creating a group of pregen characters for Pulp all based around famous authors of the period. Ernst Hemmings, anyone? Big game hunter and steel-livered man's man.

#63 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:05 PM

That's a cool idea and could be extended to cover different periods. I'm off to write Beat Poets Beat Cthulhu! Watch as William Burroughs unleashed Lovecraftian cut-ups and Allen Ginsberg makes the bad guys howl. 

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias : a Podcast about Call of Cthulhu.

#64 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

Oddly enough, I used Hemingway as inspiration for one of the pre-gens I use for Pulp Cthulhu convention games. He definitely had the steel-liver ability!

#65 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

Episode081.jpg?w=484

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back, and after our run of Cthulhu-heavy episodes, we're talking about Dead of Night, a horror roleplaying game where the tentacles are strictly optional.

In particular, we talk about the history of Dead of Night, how the mechanics work, and the many different ways we've used it or seen it used. 

Described as “the roleplaying game of campfire tales, slasher movies and b-movie horror”, Dead of Night is a fast, simple game perfect for all manner of horror-one shots. All this has made it a mainstay of the British convention scene, but its exposure across the pond seems to be more limited. This episode is our attempt at a little cultural exchange. If you hear scratching at your bedroom door tonight, you can thank us in the morning, should you live to see it.

#66 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:07 AM

I own a copy of Dead of Night 2E but I've never run it. Look forward to listening to the episode.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#67 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:23 AM

Great episode. I picked up the game on DTRPG after listening, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

#68 BrianL

BrianL

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

I really enjoyed this episode too, having only just listened to it on Thursday night. Your enthusiasm for the game encouraged me to buy the print version of the book from Andrew Kenrick that night - I'd never come across it before. Hoping it arrives soon!
Omnia exeunt in mysterium. | G+

#69 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:08 PM

Episode082.jpg?w=484

But by God, Eliot, it was a podcast from life.

We’re back, and we’re digging deep into ancient crypts and forgotten sepulchres to bring you our impressions of Pickman’s Model. This is one of Lovecraft’s strongest and best-known stories, although it touches on few of the themes we normally associate with him. It is also ripe with inspiration, and we are not shy about cracking its bones and sucking out the juicy gaming marrow within.

If you don’t normally read the show notes, please do this time, as they include photographs of the eldritch goodies sent to us by listener Frank Delventhal. And then, on the podcast, you can hear us unwrap them and puzzle through what exactly he did to those nails. 

We also have another installment of our fledgling Ask Jackson segment. Remember, if you have any questions about eldritch horrors, existential nightmares or matters of investigator etiquette, our unique position as the earthly vessels of Jackson Elias allows us to ask his advice on your behalf. Please post any burning questions you may have here. That’s figuratively burning questions only; we’ve had too many problems with the literal variety.

There is also singing in this episode. Well, glibbering and meeping at least. It just happened that way.

#70 Caith

Caith

Master

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:49 AM

Just thought I would pop in and say thanks. New to CoC and this podcast really helped me while I was reading the core book I am constantly waiting for the next episode. So that is a meeping goodbye from me and see you next time.

#71 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

Episode083.jpg?w=484

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back, and this time we're trying to gain some insight into why we spend so much time at the gaming table.

What is the magic ingredient that makes roleplaying games so addictive? Is it the social aspect? Is it the creative stimulation? Is it the black tar heroin we use to ink our dice? Listen to this episode to find out.

#72 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:06 PM

Episode084.jpg?w=484

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back and we're knee-deep in unwholesome items, terrors beyond the understanding of the human mind and dark mysteries of the cosmos. So, an average Tuesday.

This episode is our discussion of what makes a Mythos artefact interesting in Call of Cthulhu, how we might use them in our games and what our top three artefacts might be.

[Please don't link long entire sentences. It makes things difficult to read. If unsure on policy, please see our Terms of Use. Thanks. I have created a link to the key point below for convenience. ~ Mod.]

Good Friends of Jackson Elias #84: Top Three Mythos Artefacts

The ideal Mythos artefact is like a whoopee cushion. It looks innocuous, even welcoming at first, then it tears your mind loose from the restraints of human perception, sending you screaming into the unfathomable heart of eternity. And then it makes a farting noise.

There is also a lot of singing in this episode. We had three new people back us on Patreon at the $5 level, and we sing all of their praises this week. We tried some new vocal techniques and Paul really went to town on the editing. The results are the most sanity-blasting to date (with the possible exception of our ill-advised venture into hip hop).

#73 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:11 PM

In Episode 87 we discuss the film, The Witch. Matt apparently mostly watched a black screen, but we do our best to work around that! This film tells the story of a family who decide to go it alone in 1630s America, setting up home in a clearing near the woods. And there's a witch. But is there really a witch? 

Episode087.jpg

One episode that we failed to mention, and one that has raised a good amount of discussion was on the topic of combat in roleplaying games, especially in Call of Cthulhu.

You can catch up on that discussion in Episode 85.

Episode085.jpg

Edited by PaulFricker, 14 September 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#74 Aklo

Aklo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

Keep up the great work guys! I'm working my way through a backlog of your shows, but the new stuff is VERY good. Excellent show!

The Optimist in me says we live in the best of all possible worlds...The Pessimist in me believes this is true.

#75 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:29 PM

Episode088.jpg?w=484

[Another (and final) reminder! Please don't link long entire sentences. It does make things difficult to read. If you still remain unsure on site policy, please reacquaint yourself with our Terms of Use. Cheers. I have again created a link to the key point below for convenience. Please don't ignore this. In future, posts may simply be removed as a result, which would be sad. Thank you.~ Mod.]

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias are back, and we're digging into various techniques for preparing and running published campaigns, looking for pearls of wisdom. Sure, you don't dig for pearls, but common sense has never proved an obstacle to us before. 

While it's nice to have someone else come up with cool ideas, do all the research and write out those bloody stat blocks for you, there is still a lot of work in taking this material and turning it into something you can play with your friends. We offer our tips for making the process as quick and painless as possible (although "painless" seems to go against the spirit of Call of Cthulhu).

We also experiment with hideous new singing techniques in this episode, creating sounds that will echo through your body cavities for days afterwards.

#76 yangtze

yangtze

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:24 PM

Fabulous show, chaps! I think I'm now sold on 7th ed as a supplement to my beloved 4th and 5.6th eds. :) Idea for a future show: discuss types of clues, how to provide multiple routes to key clues, how much work investigators should put into obtaining clues, how you each plant clues within your scenario writing, in short: clues! Unless you've already done this? Haven't listened to all episodes yet...

Edited by yangtze, 28 September 2016 - 10:25 PM.

#77 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

In our latest two episodes we've been looking at the author and artist Clark Ashton Smith and one of his stories, The Seven Geases. If you are unfamiliar with his work, this is the author who brought us a number of the entities that form part of the wider Cthulhu Mythos, such as Tsathoggua, Atlach-Nacha and the Voormis among others. 

The Seven Geases

Episode090.jpg

Clark Ashton Smith

Episode089.jpg

Fabulous show, chaps! I think I'm now sold on 7th ed as a supplement to my beloved 4th and 5.6th eds. :) Idea for a future show: discuss types of clues, how to provide multiple routes to key clues, how much work investigators should put into obtaining clues, how you each plant clues within your scenario writing, in short: clues! Unless you've already done this? Haven't listened to all episodes yet...

Thanks yangtze - pleased hear that you're enjoying 7th ed and the podcast! As to the clue-finding theme, it's something we've touched on, but I don't think we've devoted an episode specifically to the topic — if I'm mistaken, please let me know :)  That may provide an interesting theme for a future show, thanks.

#78 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

We've released a trilogy of episodes about running games: Beginnings, Middles and Ends. You can find the whole lot here - or click on individual episode linked images below.

In each episode the three of us discuss everything we do when we run games, how we start things off, how we try to build tension, create atmosphere, maintain pacing and ultimately, how we wrap things up. I'm sure many of you will have things you could add - I'd love to hear them.

Episode091.jpg

Episode092.jpg

Episode093.jpg

SaveSave

#79 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

We're delving into the history and mystery of Dagon in Episode 98

Episode098.jpg

#80 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

Mike Mason joins the Good Friends for a discussion about investigative games. 

In part 1 (this episode) we delve into what constitutes an investigative game, as well as how to design and write one. In the next episode, we'll be looking at how to run investigative games.

Episode103-1.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press Release, Podcast