• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 SJE

SJE

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

While normally I'm am lulled to sleep by the dulcet tones and blasphemous gibberings of the Good Friends, I was listening to the show at 1am last night in my bed and slumber for once dared not intrude. Perhaps it was the gibbous moon shining down?
Running Curse of Nineveh. Survivor of Horror on the Orient Express @ GenCon2013. Keepered Beyond the Lighthouse of Madness, Shadows of Yog Sothoth: Fight Club, and Innsmouth, Masks of Nyarlathotep in London, World War Cthulhu - Saint Cernouf Sandbox

#22 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:55 PM

Or indeed the gibbous sky. It was an interesting diversion into two similar films, neither of which I have seen, but which both deal with horror in a thematic way which can easily be ported to Mythos gaming, and adds to its depth. I'm thinking of your stakeout scenario, or my d20 DG game which used instances of Jungian female archetypes throughout (Princess Diana, Wonder Woman, Shub-niggurath).

That tenebrousness was indeed a positive quality; for it obscured such parts of the inner walls as ought to have been revealed, and actually burst forth like smoke from its aeon-long imprisonment, visibly darkening the sun as it slunk away into the shrunken and gibbous sky on flapping membraneous wings.

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#23 SJE

SJE

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:47 PM

Or the Shadows of Yog Sothoth meets Fight Club campaign I ran. (PC read the Necronomicon early on, thought he got sleeping sickness, but instead developed a new personality called Carl Stanford)
Running Curse of Nineveh. Survivor of Horror on the Orient Express @ GenCon2013. Keepered Beyond the Lighthouse of Madness, Shadows of Yog Sothoth: Fight Club, and Innsmouth, Masks of Nyarlathotep in London, World War Cthulhu - Saint Cernouf Sandbox

#24 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

In other news – we're holding a survey and asking listeners how long our podcast episodes should be, and which topics you favour most. If you have opinions on either or both, please take a moment to respond to the survey:

http://blasphemousto...ek-your-advice/

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias : a Podcast about Call of Cthulhu.

#25 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

We discuss Unknown Armies in depth, looking at the strange setting and how the game works.

This game gained credit for it's sanity system, among other things, which some saw as a successor to the simpler one used in Call of Cthulhu. 

http://blasphemousto...to-the-unknown/

Episode54.jpg

#26 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:20 PM

We're also celebrating our second birthday in this episode! You can even hear Paul trying to kill Matt and me with a champagne cork. We suffer for our art.

#27 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:11 AM

GBSteve mentioned problems downloading the latest episode - please flag it up to us if you have similar issues - thanks.

#28 Emrys

Emrys

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:12 AM

GBSteve mentioned problems downloading the latest episode - please flag it up to us if you have similar issues - thanks.

I've not listened yet, but the latest edition took a ridiculous length of time to download (hours rather than seconds).

iTunes claimed it was a continuous stream until it had finished downloading (at which point it showed the correct episode duration). I've no idea whether that's relevant or not. That said, it claimed the same for episodes 34 and 36 and they've just downloaded normally for me.
Nightmares in Norfolk did come back, albeit briefly, with a brand new group of investigators! Why not visit and see if you see when I went wrong (and, for the love of Dagon, comment)?

#29 Nellkyn

Nellkyn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationDurham

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:30 AM

It took an age for me to download this one as well. File size seems to be no bigger than any other episode or any other podcast.

#30 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:42 AM

That is odd. I shall carry on trying to get to the bottom of this.

#31 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:47 AM

Weirder and weirder. We use Amazon S3 to host the media files, which is normally as reliable as reliable can get. I've been through their status console for the past few days and it's showing no problems in any regions. I've also tried downloading the file from a few different networks, in the hope of finding a clue, but it's behaving perfectly for me.

If anyone has any suggestions or more diagnostic information I would be extremely grateful!

#32 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:47 AM

Is the problem people are having solely with downloads via iTunes?

This might help us identify the issue, thanks.

#33 Nellkyn

Nellkyn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationDurham

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

I use AntennaPod (on my Android phone) with a direct link to the URL feed.

#34 BenJoss

BenJoss

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:51 PM

Problems here originally, although I've now managed to get Episode 54.  I use 'Downcast' that links to the URL feed.

#35 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:29 PM

I used the link on your website. It said 2 hours to download, but took a while to get to that stage even, so I stopped the process. Sometimes it's a bad connection so I tried again but got the same result. That's when I left the message. I haven't tried listening straight from the website because I was worried it might be a bandwidth issue and didn't want to rack up any bills for you.

#36 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:55 PM

The media files are all served from the same place, regardless of whether you use iTunes, another aggregator or a direct download from the site, so don't worry about racking up bills. We separated hosting for the website and the MP3s pretty early on.

The fact that people have had problems from a variety of sources points to a problem with Amazon S3. As I mentioned before, they haven't reported any problems, but obviously that doesn't mean there aren't any. I'll do some more research.

Thanks for the feedback and patience, everyone!

#37 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:30 PM

I tried again. It took about 90s.

#38 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:13 AM

That really is weird. It must be some kind of intermittent glitch with Amazon S3, but I'm not sure what to do about it. If it persists, I'll start looking for a new hosting provider.

#39 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

In more positive news, Paul has just posted the last of his video tutorials for the 7th edition quick-start rules. He's also collected them all on one page for convenience.

#40 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:12 PM

I use the Overcast app and it downloaded in a couple of minutes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press Release, Podcast