#1 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

Paul Fricker, Matthew Sanderson and I have taken to sitting around in Paul's shed, talking about Call of Cthulhu, horror movies and whatever other stuff occurs to us. Luckily we have had the presence of mind to record some of this, so we've started putting out a podcast named The Good Friends of Jackson Elias.

We have four episodes on the site now, covering the merits of one-shot games, the films we found the scariest, and various new mechanics in 7th Edition. You can stream or download the show from the site, or subscribe through iTunes.

We swear a bit, and the sound quality is a bit rough for the first few episodes, but we're slowly working out what we're doing.

#2 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:20 AM

I downloaded all of them...good stuff.

I am lucky to have a job where I can listen to podcasts 10 hours a day and am always in search of quality listening.

Shed-wise, what kind of shed are you talking about...thinking of an Evil Dead reference here?
"The die is cast"
- Julius Caesar (ultimate power gamer)

“Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.”
HPL

#3 jorune

jorune

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

Thanks Scott, added to the list of usual podcasts.

#4 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

I downloaded all of them...good stuff.

Thanks! We should have the next one out at the end of the week, where we talk about the television programmes that influenced our horror gaming.

Shed-wise, what kind of shed are you talking about...thinking of an Evil Dead reference here?

We have pictures! You can even see Paul and Matt hard at work.

It's a bit less sinister than the Evil Dead. The potter's wheel makes it feel more something from Ghost (although I'm not saying which one of us is Demi Moore in this scenario).

#5 teewaah

teewaah

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

The potter's wheel makes it feel more something from Ghost (although I'm not saying which one of us is Demi Moore in this scenario).

The Horror... The Horror!

Actually, just listened to the first two - really enjoyed them, more please!!! Thank you.

#6 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:18 AM

Here's an idea...new title theme song...Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers?
"The die is cast"
- Julius Caesar (ultimate power gamer)

“Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.”
HPL

#7 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

There are some new episodes up, including the latest episode featuring a car chase.

The Good Friends of Jackson Elias : a Podcast about Call of Cthulhu.

#8 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

In episode 11 we talk about insanity and how it is addressed in 7th edition.

http://blasphemousto...se-their-minds/

#9 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

Episode 14 is now out and in the latest episode we are discussing Lovecraft's tale, The Haunter of the Dark, along with the associated stories by Robert Bloch. Of course the HPL Literary podcast has already covered the story, so we're focusing more on the gaming aspects of the stories. 

http://blasphemousto...nd-in-the-dark/

If you look at the homepage you'll see that Scott Dorward is watching and reviewing a horror movie every day this month on the build up to Halloween. Scott is well versed in horror movies, but has unearthed 31 that he has not seen before. Some are great, some are terrible, and Scott writes about each of them. 

Also, if you're a fan of the podcast then we now have a Facebook page and a Twitter feed as well as a Google+ community. If you use any of those social networks then please look up up (or simply click on the buttons on the link above).

Lastly, episode 14 saw the first use of our new microphone! Please let us know if you can hear the difference :)

#10 Lost Sojourner

Lost Sojourner

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationThe Dreamlands

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:45 AM

Friends of Jackson Elias, I do quite enjoy your show.  That is all.  Just thought you should know.  Cheers.

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-Douglas Adams

#11 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Thanks! We really appreciate that!

#12 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

We've just released episode 25, in which we discuss our approaches to scenario design for Call of Cthulhu. 

http://blasphemousto...ds-plot-scheme/

#13 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

Episode 28 – The Good Friends show off their mad skills

This latest discussion is all about skills in roleplaying games, ranging from Library Use to Firearms to the ability to put out a podcast on a regular schedule. We’ve put some more points into this last one, honest.

http://blasphemousto...ds-show-skills/

#14 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

One year on, and 33 episodes out!

In recent episodes we've discussed player led games, three of our favourite non-Lovecraftian horror rpgs and skills in Call of Cthulhu.

All that and more over at www.blasphemoustomes.com

#15 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:54 PM

Episode 49, we discuss Robert Aickman's story, The Hospice. A weird tale of a chap who gets lost driving home from the Midlands. I know, it's happened to most of us at one time or another, but not quite like this. We discuss interpretations of the story and attempt to extract some gaming inspiration from it.

Oh, and more singing. 

#16 UncaringCosmos

UncaringCosmos

Master

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:12 PM

Hi Scott,

Very nice episode! You've got me intrigued about Aickman's work. I love weird fiction that offers a subtle sense of the uncanny, as if something is not quite right in the world, and we get hints that something deeply sinister is going on, but we're never quite sure what that is. Walter de la Mare nailed it in "Seaton's Aunt", and it sounds like I will have to check out Robert Aickman as well.

Can I also say that I applaud your approach to Lovecraftian horror. I can't remember if it was this episode or an earlier one, but you essentially said that investigators are there to be either killed horribly or driven mad, anything else and you may as well be playing Scooby-Doo. Bravo! :-)

Cheers,

Joe

P.S. Please, no more singing. (Oh, go on, then).

Edited by UncaringCosmos, 28 March 2015 - 11:14 PM.

Uncaring Cosmos is a fun, spooky website featuring playthroughs of Lovecraftian horror games, plus interviews with developers. Subscribe at UncaringCosmos.com

#17 ScottDorward

ScottDorward

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

Thanks, Joe! Glad you liked it.

It must be over 30 years since I last read Walter de la Mare, and I need to reacquaint myself with his work. I remember enjoying it, but the details elude me. 

I really enjoy Call of Cthulhu with the gloves off, both as a player and Keeper. Nothing kills the mood in a game faster than feeling safe.

#18 UncaringCosmos

UncaringCosmos

Master

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:18 PM

Ah, just noticed it was Paul that posted about this episode. I'd seen that Scott had started the thread, and assumed it was him!

I have failed in my principle task as an Englishman, which is to avoid embarrassing myself.

Regardless, 'twas a great episode, and looking forward to more!

Uncaring Cosmos is a fun, spooky website featuring playthroughs of Lovecraftian horror games, plus interviews with developers. Subscribe at UncaringCosmos.com

#19 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:55 PM

Episode 50 is out today. We celebrate with a bumper episode looking at how Cthulhu has taken over the world, 1926 to 2015 and beyond. We attempt to do a whistle-stop tour of Lovecraft's life, contemporaries, influence and legacy in a single 2-hour show. This show is perhaps more for those who are new to Cthulhu, or whose experience of the mythos is limited to having played the game. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

http://blasphemousto...over-the-world/

#20 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:23 AM

In episode 51 we disagree about two films, The Babadook and Repulsion (or rather we disagree about one of them). After chatting about the films we discuss what aspects of them can be transferred into gaming and Call of Cthulhu.

http://blasphemousto...s-are-repulsed/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press Release, Podcast