137 replies to this topic

#41 Armitage

Armitage

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

I am even tossing around two human factions - one would be the Investigator faction, consisting of ... well, you know. And the other would be the Authorities faction. The two factions would not necessarily be friends.

Adding human factions would definitely add another level to the game. The investigator faction would be commando like while the Authorities would have assets like helicopters, airplanes and submarines (cruise missile a gate site). Oh yeah, I'm very interested.
"Sanity is a sawed-off shotgun." -Frank Gulp

#42 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

Sandy, you rock

I love the way you got up from the failure of the first KS and beautifully managed this one.
christian lehmann

#43 Thomas Phinney

Thomas Phinney

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

Just to be clear, I did NOT share Kara’s take on the game as “glorified Risk.” But as she had played it, and I had only watched, I thought it was worth reporting. I thought the game seemed entertaining and fun, but the luck level seemed higher than I would like, which would hurt my long-term interest.

But man the minis are stunning in person. I know the photos look good, but the minis are if anything nicer than the photos.

#44 ElijahWhateley

ElijahWhateley

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

I am even tossing around two human factions - one would be the Investigator faction, consisting of ... well, you know. And the other would be the Authorities faction. The two factions would not necessarily be friends.

Two human factions sounds a bit like overkill. Although I suppose there's that cruel empire of Tsan-Chan that pops up around 5,000 AD...

#45 rbiddle

rbiddle

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

Sandy, any possibility of a bundle of the expansions or map packs?

Not that I'm trying to penny-pinch (although I am), but with 7e and this, my wants a FAR exceeding the amount I want to spend :)

#46 rbiddle

rbiddle

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:51 AM

Sandy, any possibility of a bundle of the expansions or map packs?

Not that I'm trying to penny-pinch (although I am), but with 7e and this, my wants a FAR exceeding the amount I want to spend :)

Ignore me... I just saw the update for the map bundle and expansion bundle coming soon.

Thanks!!

#47 Thaoworra

Thaoworra

Master

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:17 AM

I can see how some folks would be excited for a human faction, but for me part of the draw is using this as an opportunity to pick up 28mm scale miniatures of GOOs and their minions, particularly more obscure ones. In terms of practicality, I'd rather see figures available of Hounds of Tindalos or Yithians first, before we get humans and vehicles I could scavenge from other miniature games. Adding humans certainly isn't a deal-breaker, but it wouldn't be a must-have faction.

Overall, I have to say that this feels like the game of a lifetime, one I've waited almost 4 decades to see come to fruition. Well done!

#48 ratcatcher

ratcatcher

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

Cthulhu Wars broke the $500k mark overnight! (With Call at ~220k, not that it's a competition) Congratulations. I'm still stunned by how will it has done.

#49 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

A game play overview has been posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihNtr7mb8-c

The board in the video looks even bigger than I thought.

#50 ragnarhedin

ragnarhedin

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

The game looks fantastic, though I'm going to hold off on pledging until I have a slightly better idea as to the depth and replayability of the game. And of course I would love if each expansion faction for CW wasn't the price of a standard high end boxed game on its own.
Spoiler
For Dark Shadows jokes and absurdity follow @Fake_Barnabas.

#51 Carcosa

Carcosa

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationRochester NY (upstate)

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

Yes this game would probably be my favorite boardgame of all time. Cannot afford the kickstarter right now (I am doing Cthulhu 7e) but I hope the game will be available somewhere after the kickstarter is finished!!! Good work Sandy!!

Oh yeah, and while it is kind of expensive, all those miniatures make that price actually fairly reasonable for what you are getting.

#52 Carcosa

Carcosa

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:35 AM

I couldn't hold out and ordered the game. I will probably not get this paid off before either this or the CoC 7e project arrive, so I will have to live out of cans of beans and tuna for several months to pay this off!!

#53 Carcosa

Carcosa

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

Don't worry I won't actually be living out of canned tuna and beans...

#54 SandyPetersen

SandyPetersen

Petersen Games

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationRockwall, Texas

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Obviously for any board game, play value is to an extent subjective. I love Twilight Imperium, but my oldest son loathes it (though usually our tastes run similarly). I do have this one data point on Cthulhu Wars to take into consideration.

I have been testing it with a group of former co-workers of mine at Robot Entertainment, stealing their once-a-week boardgame night for my playtest purposes. We've been doing this since February of this year. These guys know nothing about Cthulhu. A couple times I felt guilty about using up their game night, and offered to play some other game with them. Every time, they demanded to p\lay Cthulhu Wars instead. They love the game. In fact, I was unable to go to Robot for the last two weeks, and one of them came on his own initiative to my house Friday night because I said we'd be playing it. He is "Brian" from the gameplay video - the quiet guy. Also they have not been playing with the "real" miniatures - but with substitutes. The Dark Young they used, for instance, were triremes taken from another game. The undead were musketeers. So without any of the visual panoply or history of the Mythos, they have been taken by the actual play of the game itself.

But of course the neat figures just make it all better, in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that humans are not a faction lacking in my own collection of figures is, in fact, for me an argument against at least a normally-arranged human faction. I have been pondering and testing a very unusual human faction, however, and it might be a little more cool for those of us who like HPL figures. For instance, instead of "human soldier" a figure might be "Herbert West". You heard it here first.

I can see how some folks would be excited for a human faction, but for me part of the draw is using this as an opportunity to pick up 28mm scale miniatures of GOOs and their minions, particularly more obscure ones. In terms of practicality, I'd rather see figures available of Hounds of Tindalos or Yithians first, before we get humans and vehicles I could scavenge from other miniature games. Adding humans certainly isn't a deal-breaker, but it wouldn't be a must-have faction.

Overall, I have to say that this feels like the game of a lifetime, one I've waited almost 4 decades to see come to fruition. Well done!

#55 Carcosa

Carcosa

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

I have a few different boardgaming groups in the area, so I will be able to get a couple sessions in per week if I can find the time!

#56 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Sandy and crew have posted this:

Great News for our International Backers!!!
Update #36 · Jun 17, 2013 · 36 comments

After consulting with several logistics companies, we are happy to announce that we will be able to help you save money on import taxes. Because pledges on Kickstarter are explicitly for the "funding of a project in a pre-retail environment," we can ship our products to you with a declared commercial value equal to the core manufacturing cost, rather than your full pledge amount. This should save a lot on any VAT taxes which may apply. We are also exploring other options which could potentially provide additional savings, including manufacturing and distribution from within the E.U.

The effect of this post have been curious. The announcement of a possible drop in the overall tax has created some disquiet because many European backers, it seems, hoped for what is still hinted at in the last part of the update: "We are also exploring other options which could potentially provide additional savings, including manufacturing and distribution from within the E.U. "
christian lehmann

#57 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

I've just completed a phone interview with Sandy about Cthulhu Wars and Kickstarters, it should be on YSDC tomorrow.

#58 revnye

revnye

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

Sweet! Thanks, Paul.

#59 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

Here's the interview:

Cthulhu Wars and Kickstarters: Sandy Petersen

Kickstarter video trailer, below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67KmnOWIXjM

#60 Carcosa

Carcosa

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

Human factions sound cool with Herbert West and Lovecraft etc. Glad you are not doing tanks or mechs like CthulhuTech Sandy!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fundraiser