137 replies to this topic

#21 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,403 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

I've merged the two Cthulhu Wars threads to keep conversation about the same topic in one place.

Not that it's a competition, but for those interested. Current standing:

Cthulhu Wars: $216,456
Call of Cthulhu 7e: $194,913

I think the Innsmouth House Irregulars might like playing this, but I'd suspect all the players would have to chip in. :-)

#22 SandyPetersen

SandyPetersen

Petersen Games

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationRockwall, Texas

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

I have been playing this game with a group of friends from Robot Entertainment almost every week. We typically play 3 games in our session. They don't know anything about Lovecraft (they call the Cthulhu figure "the octopus"), and after 50-100 sessions they STILL really like Cthulhu Wars. One of them just e-mailed me this morning and asked me to come down and bring the game so they can play it. Again. They keep uncovering new strategies and ideas. They are completely unpaid, and on a couple occasions I felt guilty about using up their game night to ONLY play Cthulhu Wars, so I asked if they'd like to play something else, like Lords of Waterdeep or whatever. The answer was "No". They wanted Cthulhu Wars.

So that is my evidence that Cthulhu Wars is a terrific game. It convinced the heck out of ME.

I may yet pledge for this game. I need to download the rules and see how quickly and easily it can be learned by new players. I do get to a few cons where I could run it.

I spent at least as much on OGRE, although that game I play solitaire and have loved since it first came out.

Convince me Sandy, why should I buy this game? It is possibly edging out CoC 7e on the possibility list. Mainly because I already have versions of CoC that I like and play, I don't have Cthulhu Wars.

- - - Updated - - -

I will just say that I am very happy with 7th edition CoC, and am writing a new intro for it.

#23 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

I think the Innsmouth House Irregulars might like playing this, but I'd suspect all the players would have to chip in. :-)

Maybe you might be able to somehow get a hold of a free copy for an in depth play test and review. Just a thought...
"The die is cast"
- Julius Caesar (ultimate power gamer)

“Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.”
HPL

#24 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

Update: I have cracked and ordered a copy for my birthday. The pain is already dulling... in fact I barely remember it. My memory is slipping away, and only this strange scrap of parchment - or is it vellum, of a provenance I am oddly reluctant to consider? - marked with curious sigils, remains to whisper of some near-forgotten promise.

#25 DavetheLost

DavetheLost

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

OK, I'm in too. Dammit Sandy, did you have to make the CdG pledge level so enticing? Now I have to decide about add ons.

#26 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

Like Keith Herber and Lynn Willis, Sandy Petersen is one of my heroes. On the morning of the day Cthulhu Wars was to launch ( but I did not know that), Kickstarter informed me that Sandy had backed THIS Kickstarter:
http://www.kickstart...reature-fx-film
I looked, found it very very cool, and pledged
Then a few hours later the Cthulhu Wars KS started, and its awesomeness dragged me in, credit card ablaze, right away.
The game looks great, the minis are OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD, and I'm confident that the gameplay will be worth it.
But apart from that, I feel that we are all part of a tribe. A tribe in which even the GOOs like Sandy can, on the morning of the launch of one the great ventures of their lives, act like usual everyday geeks and pledge for an old-time practical creature FX film with Lance Henriksen. And I love that
christian lehmann

#27 synthboy

synthboy

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

Coming at the same times the 7e Kickstarter along with international shipping and exchange rates means that I'm probably only going to be able to back one and I think 7e will win out as I'll probably get more use from it (and it's more affordable) but, dammit, I really want this game! Maybe a distant relative will be bequeath me some strange, twisted gold jewelry that I have to collect from their remote ancestral home during a storm...

Ludmilla: I'll distract him, you slip something hard and tasteless into his drink.
Moe: What like, a potato?

#28 ElijahWhateley

ElijahWhateley

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:13 AM

I got into gaming because it was a cheap hobby and I was poor.

What happened?

Circa 1981, It all started with me giving up on comics and saving my ducats for that little red box.

If you buy used games, download free material form the Internet, and play them to death, it's still cheap. Funding the cutting edge is expensive.

#29 DavetheLost

DavetheLost

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

I still play some games I bought in the seventies!

PDFs have been a great boon to cheap gaming.

I think this would be an ideal game for a club or group to split the purchase price on. Sadly I am going it alone. It is not cheap, but it looks well worth the price. I play board games and wargames of various sorts and the prices on those have jumped too.

#30 SandyPetersen

SandyPetersen

Petersen Games

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

We are in fact providing a pdf of the rules and other materials at the $10 level so if you want to Go It Cheap it is possible. I am sympathetic to fans with cash-flow issues. Heck, I spent the last 30 months with no cash flow of my own.

#31 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

The more updates I read describing what this game is trying to achieve, the more I like the sound of it (BTW there were numerous updates today; so go check the KS page for a bunch of extra information!)

It seems to me like a board-game version of what the Trail of Cthulhu guys were starting to do (in RPG terms) with Cthulhu Apocalypse -- start the game with the "end times" where the GOOs awake and just see where things go from there. Of course this time you are cheering for the GOOs to win.

Actually I can imagine this game being a nice thing to play as the global-level finale to a CoC or ToC campaign in which the Investigators fail to stop the rise of the Mythos nasties. Or maybe you could even build an RPG "end-times" campaign between turns of the boardgame ... ?

It's all looking VERY cool :-)

Dean (from Adelaide)

FREE high-quality Call of Cthulhu scenarios in PDF: cthulhureborn.wordpress.com

#32 SandyPetersen

SandyPetersen

Petersen Games

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

I will say that the humiliating abject failure of my previous kickstarter taught me a lot of good lessons, and is one of the reasons that THIS kickstarter has managed to fund.

#33 SandyPetersen

SandyPetersen

Petersen Games

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

that is a really interesting idea dce.

Another thing - and hey, this is now a Yog-Sothoth.com EXCLUSIVE -- we have been thinking about adding a HUMAN faction to the game. It would not work like a normal monster faction, of course. Instead, you would have plot rings of investigators who would take actions such as closing Gates, blocking the other factions' access to Power, and so forth. What I am hoping to do with it is have the humans start off really strong, but then deteriorate through the course of the game, so by the end they are clinging by their toenails while the Doom track draws ever nearer to its end and the world falls apart.

I am also hoping to add SPECIFIC humans to the plot rings, so each ring would center around a specific character. Herbert West, for instance.

#34 DoctorCyclopean

DoctorCyclopean

Master

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

I hate the very day I first discovered Kickstarter. I'm already in for Heroes of Zed and Deluxe Tunnels and Trolls--and now this, with all the add-on kits and maps. Now I have to go check out the Coc 7th Edition. . . .

#35 DavetheLost

DavetheLost

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

Deluxe Tunnels&Trolls, OGRE: Designer's Edition, Cthulhu Wars. KS has eaten my wallet too. Still on the fence about 7e.

#36 Armitage

Armitage

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:39 AM

I like the idea that Sandy decided to produce a quality game. Doubled sided map boards and gorgeous figures make Cthulhu Wars a hard game to resist. I just wish he hadn't released it the same time as 7th edition was being released.
"Sanity is a sawed-off shotgun." -Frank Gulp

#37 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

I can see using it alongside a CoC campaign, with scenarios themed in to what's going on in the board game, and the balance of Cthulhu Wars power shifting based on some of the outcomes.

Coming back to this thought: Games Workshop and WOTC did various things with worldwide campaigns. Play scenarios based on events in the storyline, change the storyline based on the average scenario results... Perhaps YSDC might host a Cthulhu Wars version..?

#38 rbiddle

rbiddle

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

that is a really interesting idea dce.

Another thing - and hey, this is now a Yog-Sothoth.com EXCLUSIVE -- we have been thinking about adding a HUMAN faction to the game. It would not work like a normal monster faction, of course. Instead, you would have plot rings of investigators who would take actions such as closing Gates, blocking the other factions' access to Power, and so forth. What I am hoping to do with it is have the humans start off really strong, but then deteriorate through the course of the game, so by the end they are clinging by their toenails while the Doom track draws ever nearer to its end and the world falls apart.

I am also hoping to add SPECIFIC humans to the plot rings, so each ring would center around a specific character. Herbert West, for instance.

I would LOVE to see a human faction added as an addon.

And a YSDC Exclusive would be an awesome idea.

#39 SandyPetersen

SandyPetersen

Petersen Games

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

I am even tossing around two human factions - one would be the Investigator faction, consisting of ... well, you know. And the other would be the Authorities faction. The two factions would not necessarily be friends.

#40 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

I think the addition of human factions is a great idea.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fundraiser