#1241 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:32 PM

I don't want to hijack this thread, but there's another one here on YSDC (I don't have the link off the top of my head), which goes into all the sorry details.  At the end of the day, the creator walked off with $70K and delivered nothing to most of his backers, though a fortunate few got a few things before he absconded.  And that's all I'll say about it here.

#1242 Eudaimic

Eudaimic

Breakfast Clubber

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:53 AM

And here it is. I was one of the fortunate ones who did receive a full set of props, but yeah that was a sorry mess.

Edited by Eudaimic, 08 November 2016 - 01:54 AM.

Currently recording Beyond the Mountains of Madness 2e with Trail of Cthulhu.
http://mountainsofmadness.org

#1243 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:26 AM

Thanks for finding it!  That's the one, all right...

#1244 AdamAlexander

AdamAlexander

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:22 AM

Oh, I see - that's the MoN prop kickstarter that died, right? I didn't back that one, so I'm not as familiar with it.

For me, I'm still hoping to get the Punktown book for Call of Cthulhu... and it looks like the Arkham FATE one's finally dead - the guy in question deleted all his posts from the G+ group he'd created and has disappeared.

I'm waiting for both of these as well, but I think waiting for the FATE rules is now a lost cause as you noted.

#1245 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:55 AM

Sounds like we have another "Curse of Cthulhu Kickstarters" developing with the FATE thing...

#1246 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:11 AM

One of the stipulations of my new license was that I made content with the Chaosium mark using strictly the 7th edition rules. I don't know anything about Arkham FATE but it may be no longer allowed under a licensing agreement. If it ever was. 

#1247 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:05 AM

One of the stipulations of my new license was that I made content with the Chaosium mark using strictly the 7th edition rules. I don't know anything about Arkham FATE but it may be no longer allowed under a licensing agreement. If it ever was. 

If it ever was, it shouldn't be. Fate Cthulhu just sounds... wrong.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#1248 jcfiala

jcfiala

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:09 PM

If it ever was, it shouldn't be. Fate Cthulhu just sounds... wrong.

I doubt it was licensed - I suspect more it's just using the general Cthulhu mythos without touching on Chaosium.

Well, in theory.  it wasn't ever actually *made* as far as we can tell.

(Like Far West. :)

John Fiala

Check out Byakhee, the classic Call of Cthulhu character generator.

#1249 carpocratian

carpocratian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:28 AM

I didn't get in on this Kickstarter, but watching it (and experiencing a few problematic ones from other people) is why I don't tend to back Kickstarters anymore.  When it comes to rpgs, the only way I would consider backing any Kickstarter these days is if the company had done several and always delivered on them AND had all of the writing done (just using the Kickstarter for editing, publishing, and illustration). 

It was really good of the folks who are not running Chaosium to step in and save this from being a total wreck.

#1250 yronimoswhateley

yronimoswhateley

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDunwich, Maryland

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:37 PM

That last statement is worth emphasizing - I do appreciate the things that went right with the Kickstarter, starting with the folks who stepped in and made big sacrifices and took huge risks to save Chaosium, Call of Cthulhu, and at least get the minimum product delivered, even if it wasn't as instantly as some of us might have liked.

And I think the books that were produced as a result of this Kickstarter look fantastic.  Sure, some of the new options aren't to everyone's taste (there was never any chance that they would be, and that's the nature of options), but in the end it is still the CoC we know and love, and I think it looks first-rate:  it looks like a role-playing game that has been able to survive about 40 years or so of pen-and-paper RPG evolution intact, thrive against decades of intense competition, and in spite of its esoteric content and unusual approach to storytelling still appeal to the modern gamer.

It took a long time to do it, and required a lot of patience from backers and trouble and risk from the new management, but in the end the folks who contributed to 7th Edition Call of Cthulhu did produce a set of fine RPG books that they can be proud of.

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." - Blaise Pascal

#1251 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:06 PM

^This.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fundraiser, CoC 7e