1250 replies to this topic

#41 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

By interesting do you mean disheartening? Or am I missing something?

I think you miss very little, Fallingtower.

Now, as for the black and white art, what I thought of when I saw it was "First Edition D and D Monster Manual" style. On the one hand, very clean, very crisply drafted, very workmanlike. Quite technically proficient. On the other hand, very First Edition D and D Monster Manual style, very clean, crisply drafted, and workmanlike, and so leaves nothing to the horrified imagination. So while they are quite good drawings, and of a professional caliber that would fit in many wargame or roleplaying publications, many may see them as not quite right. (Or perhaps, not quite wrong enough).

Someone has commented above that for the prices asked for support, they wanted more color illustrations--the thing does have to be priced at a level that will be able to find support in the game market. I love my hard bound Aces and Eights rules set by Kenzer and Co, which is lavishly illustrated by the color paintings of Remington and Russell, but good lord, I am almost afraid to open the thing because it did cost both an arm and a leg. Given the era most associated with Call of Cthulhu being the roaring twenties, it would have been interesting to see some color work done in the style of the great American commercial illustrators, Rockwell, and Pyle and Chandler Christy, taking a turn for the Mythos, but I would be surprised if that could be arranged at anything like affordable prices.

Edited by wombat1, 28 May 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#42 ErikB

ErikB

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

>>>Now, as for the black and white art, what I thought of when I saw it was "First Edition D and D Monster Manual"<<<

I thought old school chaosium...
You can take my Tommy Gun from my cold dead hands

#43 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

Someone has commented above that for the prices asked for support, they wanted more color illustrations--the thing does have to be priced at a level that will be able to find support in the game market. I love my hard bound Aces and Eights rules set by Kenzer and Co, which is lavishly illustrated by the color paintings of Remington and Russell, but good lord, I am almost afraid to open the thing because it did cost both an arm and a leg. Given the era most associated with Call of Cthulhu being the roaring twenties, it would have been interesting to see some color work done in the style of the great American commercial illustrators, Rockwell, and Pyle and Chandler Christy, taking a turn for the Mythos, but I would be surprised if that could be arranged at anything like affordable prices.

Well Trail of Cthulhu (the main book) is in the same price range as Cthulhu 6th ed., so if Pelegrane can pull off a glossy hardback with color (ish) art, then I'd think Chaosium should be able to follow suit.
"The die is cast"
- Julius Caesar (ultimate power gamer)

“Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.”
HPL

#44 MikeM

MikeM

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

Hi

The b/w artwork on the kickstarter page is just some examples of new material - I know Badger has posted elsewhere on the forums asking for art recommendations - it's all work in progress so to speak. Help shape the book and ensure your comments re. artwork get to Badger and/or post on the kickstarter message board etc.

Cheers
Mike
Mike M, Line Editor for Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium Inc.

#45 jcfiala

jcfiala

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

The comments to the news posting are particularly interesting.

I'm surprised by the comments - it's a rare kickstarter that's done on time. Usually you can look at the date and add three months and be more correct.
John Fiala

Check out Byakhee, the classic Call of Cthulhu character generator.

#46 Roxysteve

Roxysteve

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

I don't know if I shall be buying a new edition of Call of Cthulhu. Certainly not if the price climbs to levels I've seen bandied about in some posts here. To be honest I long ago became completely disenchanted with the 6th edition and went back to using the old early 5.whatever (Chaosium could remove a major thorn from its own foot by eschewing fractional document release numbers in its future editions in my opinion) to run games as I can at least find stuff in it when I need to and the game it presents is actually playable from the content.

But I spent a couple of seasons experimenting with other forms of the Gothic/Cosmic Horror Game Presentation Experience and though they all offered remedies to specific perceived shortcomings of Call of Cthulhu it came at a cost: Very different gameplay for Realms of Cthulhu, mountains of Keeper overhead for Trail of Cthulhu.

A singular advantage was that I could get players to try a game because the systems were new and shiny to them, and I couldn't scare up a game of Call of Cthulhu on a bet because the gameplay is no longer sought so eagerly given that the horror RPG experience is now deliverable in a number of alternative milieus that don't involve Cthulhu in the title (believe it or not that is an actual reason people have given for lack of interest in gaming in the Lovecraftian Mode when asked). A significant portion of the Call of Cthulhu audience now prefers to play Noun: The Gerund from WoD. In the UK there are even more options, some of them super exciting to these tired old eyes: Hot War stands out. I don't include the Laundry as that is not really a Cosmic Horror setting as a setting to which an element of Cosmic Horror has been welded, but if you do I won't argue with you.

But the thing that begins to interest me is getting to know just how popular the Lovecraftian Gothic/Cosmic Horror Game Experience is taken as a whole. Do sales of RoC and ToC and (Insert Noun)oC collectively suggest that there is any sort of market for even a radically revamped, remade/remodeled Call of Cthulhu?

Because all though my RoC and ToC games were well attended and the enjoyment of all concerned was high, interest in doing more of same has been sporadic and quite low - the same two people want to play from a target audience numbered in dozens (I run games at a local game store), and interest in buying rulebooks for those other systems was virtually nil (one person wanted ToC but was foiled because it was on backorder long enough to kill the sale).

Is it possible that the Writing for this particular style of RPG is on the wall, at least in the USA? Has Cthulhu had its day?

Egad! What if R'lyeh rose and nobody had nightmares?

Edited by Roxysteve, 28 May 2013 - 10:31 PM.

Look, why don't we just chant it? I mean, how bad could it be, lads? Lads? Lads? Where did everbody go?

#47 Roxysteve

Roxysteve

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Well Trail of Cthulhu (the main book) is in the same price range as Cthulhu 6th ed., so if Pelegrane can pull off a glossy hardback with color (ish) art, then I'd think Chaosium should be able to follow suit.

Or perhaps monochrome with the chrome in question being something other than black. Trail of Cthulhu does it with a green tint which tricks the eye and looks spectacular & they also use photo montages which knock the stuffing out of most of the drawn art lying about (Realms has a really good Mythos library painting though...).

Even the old 20th Anniversary Edition looked better than any of the otherwise identical printings Chaosium put out afterwards because they used rose-colored ink.

Oh well.
Look, why don't we just chant it? I mean, how bad could it be, lads? Lads? Lads? Where did everbody go?

#48 Cole

Cole

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBucks County, PA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Casually we've seen scores of other games borrow heavily from Lovecraftian elements and themes over the years. We have witnessed new games poach gameplay components from CoC. My only hope is that the new edition brings excited new players, writers, and that Chaosium and licensees position themselves to cultivate rebirth in what has been a decaying game.
Playing/Running: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3e, Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, Night's Black Agents
Philly-area gamer? http://meetup.com/GamePodz

#49 Zed Lopez

Zed Lopez

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'm surprised by the comments - it's a rare kickstarter that's done on time. Usually you can look at the date and add three months and be more correct.

Looks to me like the frustration has more to do with their ducking the questions about the schedule than with the lateness per se. (I didn't back Orient Express and have no dog in the race.)

Is it possible that the Writing for this particular style of RPG is on the wall, at least in the USA? Has Cthulhu had its day?

I just attended a 4-day con, and I can say the Cthulhu games were hot tickets. Pelgrane seems to be happy enough with sales of their Trail of Ctulhu line to be publishing new material on a regular basis; Modiphius just collected about a quarter million dollars in a kickstarter to make original Cthulhu campaigns; I'll betcha at such time as Arc Dream kickstarts the new Delta Green it'll break 6 figures no problem. I think Cthulhu gaming is clearly doing just fine.

#50 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

Hi folks. I'll be talking with Chaosium about the Kickstarter tomorrow. I can't make any promises, but I will raise any issues, requests or questions that are posted on this thread. We want to know what you think so please let us know.
The Good Friends of Jackson Elias : a Podcast about Call of Cthulhu.

#51 Zed Lopez

Zed Lopez

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

Hi folks. I'll be talking with Chaosium about the Kickstarter tomorrow. I can't make any promises, but I will raise any issues, requests or questions that are posted on this thread. We want to know what you think so please let us know.

I'd like to know more about what "cleaner page layout" means. Who's doing the graphic design? Can we be assured no white-on-black text? The Cthulhu game I played in at the aforementioned con featured repeated instances of the GM squinting at tables in the 6th edition and then handing it to a player asking if he could read it.

Edited by Zed Lopez, 28 May 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#52 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

I'd like to know more about what "cleaner page layout" means. Who's doing the graphic design? Can we be assured no white-on-black text?

Ask them.
Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#53 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Mike and I did a short interview with the Dan from the Miskatonic University Podcast on Saturday to talk about the Kickstarter:

http://www.mu-podcas...er-is-imminent/
The Good Friends of Jackson Elias : a Podcast about Call of Cthulhu.

#54 delrio

delrio

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

To be honest I long ago became completely disenchanted with the 6th edition and went back to using the old early 5.whatever (Chaosium could remove a major thorn from its own foot by eschewing fractional document release numbers in its future editions in my opinion) to run games as I can at least find stuff in it when I need to and the game it presents is actually playable from the content.

Is 5.x actually that different from 6? I learned the game ages back using someone's photocopied 1st or 2nd edition, and eventually bought both 4th and 5th. These days I use 6, just because it's what I have to hand. All the versions of the game that I've played felt substantially similar to me... I'm sure they've tweaked some things over the years, but from an actual gameplay perspective I can't say I really notice all that much difference. If someone held a gun to my head and said "WHICH VERSION??" I'd probably pick 4th, but that's due to peripheral reasons, such as I liked the fold-out size chart with the Dhole sprawled across the equivalent of 3 or 4 pages - it always got an Oh Sh-t reaction from players. :8E:
Delta Green: Rising Tide (rebooted April 2013)

#55 synthboy

synthboy

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hi Paul.

My concern/questions is that the prices seem a little steep, especially at the PDF level (even more so when you consider what the Achtung Cthulhu Kickstarter was offering). Is there anything more concrete about what the stretch goals are likely to be? I'm probably looking at softcover (for various reasons): any chance of PDFs being bundled with those as well? Additionally, is there any news on what else Chaosium is going to be bringing out to support 7e? I'm going to want this for completeness but I'd also hope that my/our contributions are going to be a way for Chaoisum to hopefully reinvent and restart this game we all so love.

Edited by synthboy, 28 May 2013 - 11:25 PM.

Ludmilla: I'll distract him, you slip something hard and tasteless into his drink.
Moe: What like, a potato?

#56 Zed Lopez

Zed Lopez

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Is 5.x actually that different from 6?

This is the most thorough answer I've seen.

#57 Zed Lopez

Zed Lopez

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

Ask them.

Ah! Badger McInnes did nice work on Cthulhu by Gaslight and I'll rest easy about the layout.

#58 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

My number one question is of course, 'be it colour'd and glossy or be it black and white'?
"The die is cast"
- Julius Caesar (ultimate power gamer)

“Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.”
HPL

#59 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

I've just checked with Chaosium and you should be ok using PayPal

Mike

So, how exactly does one donate using PayPal without using a credit card or Amazon acount?

Was thinking I wouldn't go for this, but what the wotsit. Confused by the shipping though, so have just messaged Chaosium via Kickstarter. I want to back at $100 but currently baffled by whether I need to add $20 or $22 for international shipping.

That would be $22 dollars.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#60 Shawn_Kehoe

Shawn_Kehoe

Master

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

Hi Paul.

My concern/questions is that the prices seem a little steep, especially at the PDF level (even more so when you consider what the Achtung Cthulhu Kickstarter was offering). Is there anything more concrete about what the stretch goals are likely to be? I'm probably looking at softcover (for various reasons): any chance of PDFs being bundled with those as well? Additionally, is there any news on what else Chaosium is going to be bringing out to support 7e? I'm going to want this for completeness but I'd also hope that my/our contributions are going to be a way for Chaoisum to hopefully reinvent and restart this game we all so love.

I feel that pain - shipping costs kept me to just getting the core books for Achtung! Cthulhu. Thankfully for me, this project has a Canadian shipping option. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fundraiser, CoC 7e