1250 replies to this topic

#21 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSI, NY

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

Well, the Kickstarter certainly trumps the podcast information but I still have some questions. Nevertheless, I am a Slobbering Shoggoth. ;)
Can't wait for those stretch goals (I only hope being a Shoggoth is enough of a contribution in the long run. I may have to skip a few more meals than I intended).

Edited by paladin2769, 28 May 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#22 Butters

Butters

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

I must admit I'm somewhat torn on this but I suspect that I will end up backing it as I am interested in seeing how far they have changed things.

#23 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

WOW that's expensive!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but $90 (£60) for the rulebook and Investigator handbook in softcover (inc. international shipping) or $120 (£80) for a hardback of both plus PDF's!

I'm all up for supporting Chaosium and would love to see the new version of the rules, even if only because I'm an obsessive collector, but this is just a bit too much!

I'm going to have to give this some serious thought.........

Agreed, but I need a copy for work.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#24 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSI, NY

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

I don't have the Playtest rules in front of me (yet) but the info from the Kickstarter sounds very familiar (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). I don't know what I can/can't say or ask questions on until Mike or Paul let me know.
Oh NDA, what a fickle beast you are. :)

#25 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

I really always try to be Mr. Positive, but I really don't like the new artwork for the Mi-Go. Which is one of my favorite Lovecraftian critters, so right off the bat I'm a little put off.

bUT, I will keep an eye on things for a bit to see what other goodies they're gonna offer up to us slavering droogies.
"The die is cast"
- Julius Caesar (ultimate power gamer)

“Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.”
HPL

#26 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSI, NY

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, I was disappointed about the Mi-Go illustration as well. And Shub Niggurath must have had a face lift of sorts, as I don't recognize her now. I fear that the whole lot of creatures, et al will get a makeover. I only hope they come out better than some of the costume choices from the New 52 DCU.

#27 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

Yeah, I was disappointed about the Mi-Go illustration as well. And Shub Niggurath must have had a face lift of sorts, as I don't recognize her now. I fear that the whole lot of creatures, et al will get a makeover.

Oh yeah, you're right I thought the second illustration was a shoggoth, not Lumpy Space Princess Niggurath.
"The die is cast"

HPL

#28 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Was thinking I wouldn't go for this, but what the wotsit. Confused by the shipping though, so have just messaged Chaosium via Kickstarter. I want to back at $100 but currently baffled by whether I need to add $20 or $22 for international shipping.

#29 MechSpike

MechSpike

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

Welp. Gotta save some money for this. I'm really bummed about their tier choices. I really want a Keeper's softcover and an Investigators PDF, but to get those two together I have to pledge $100? Lame.

#30 jcfiala

jcfiala

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Welp. Gotta save some money for this. I'm really bummed about their tier choices. I really want a Keeper's softcover and an Investigators PDF, but to get those two together I have to pledge $100? Lame.

Well, what I did was pledged at the $30 level to get both pdfs, and I'll wait and see if and how I can upgrade later to get different results. If nothing else, I can wait for the books to come out and pick them up over time to have physical copies. (IE, using store credit, gift cards, or secondhand copies.)
John Fiala

Check out Byakhee, the classic Call of Cthulhu character generator.

#31 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSI, NY

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

I would be thrilled to finally get a form-fillable Call of Cthulhu character sheet. Can we run it up the flagpole and see who salutes over at Chaosium?

Also, I would highly doubt that this is the only way to get these books. I mean, they have to go for sale at the regular retail level shortly thereafter, right? Unless all the local game shops have to get them via the Kickstarter.
The thing is that we are paying now to have our voices heard as to what we want in the book (so to speak) and pay for it ala carte, more or less. And get it before it goes on sale elsewhere. :)

Edited by paladin2769, 28 May 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#32 MechSpike

MechSpike

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Well, what I did was pledged at the $30 level to get both pdfs, and I'll wait and see if and how I can upgrade later to get different results. If nothing else, I can wait for the books to come out and pick them up over time to have physical copies. (IE, using store credit, gift cards, or secondhand copies.)

I did think about doing the same...but I really like having a physical copy of the Keeper's book. My 6th edition I got used through a weird freak accident at a comic shop. (Called to see if they had one, they didn't, but a random customer overhearing the conversation said he had one in his car that he would sell to the store.) It's been worn and torn through use since then and I really would like a new one. *Sigh* I might just get the PDFs...

#33 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

I keep staring at the Mi-Go artwork...I'm not digging it. At all.

I will support the project still, probably going with the pdf option (gonna wait til payday).
I'm big on artwork, so if I end up liking the finished product I will pick up the hardbacks at my local shoppe.

C'mon Chaosium, please blow my mind with some wicked artwork. Make us proud.
I'd love to see a full colour, glossy hardbound. That would be my dream.
Something that looks like the D20 Cthulhu or Trail of Cthulhu books would be awesome.
"The die is cast"

HPL

#34 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSI, NY

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Wow, that's a funny story, MechSpike. I have sold comics from my collection like that, except in person while overhearing the conversation, rather via telephone. I made sure it was ok with the store or else they would have been upset that I was trying to "compete" with them.

- - - Updated - - -

I checked out the artist's website. He's done work with Chaosium before but it's not my style either. I don't begrudge him at all, but I'd rather see the same art get re-used for the monsters than his.

We can get a full color glossy hardcover. We just have to pay for it, quite possibly with blood. Not necessarily our own, mind you. ;)

I agree, I like the D20 version and Trail version in terms of layout and design.

#35 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

I keep staring at the Mi-Go artwork...I'm not digging it. At all.

I will support the project still, probably going with the pdf option (gonna wait til payday).
I'm big on artwork, so if I end up liking the finished product I will pick up the hardbacks at my local shoppe.

C'mon Chaosium, please blow my mind with some wicked artwork. Make us proud.
I'd love to see a full colour, glossy hardbound. That would be my dream.
Something that looks like the D20 Cthulhu or Trail of Cthulhu books would be awesome.

Again, I have to agree. Neither pieces of art are in any way inspiring, and to be honest, if Chaosium wants another $40,000 from us, this book should be in colour.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#36 MechSpike

MechSpike

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Okay, not going to lie...I'm not sure what the problem everyone is having with the artwork. I mean I understand it's one thing to not like his style, but these creatures we're barely described in the books. I don't really think you can get them wrong in terms of how they look...I'll admit I'm partial to the original 80s illustrations, but I don't see a problem with these new ones.

#37 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Out of idle curiosity, how are things going at Chaosium with the Horror on the Orient Express kickstarter? Wasn't that supposed to be ready by GenCon?

#38 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

Out of idle curiosity, how are things going at Chaosium with the Horror on the Orient Express kickstarter? Wasn't that supposed to be ready by GenCon?

For latest news see http://www.kickstart...io/posts/493439.

#39 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

For latest news see http://www.kickstart...io/posts/493439.

The comments to the news posting are particularly interesting.

#40 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

The comments to the news posting are particularly interesting.

By interesting do you mean disheartening? Or am I missing something?
"The die is cast"

HPL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fundraiser, CoC 7e