• Please log in to reply
1250 replies to this topic

#1 JudoMonk

JudoMonk

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Wow! Since my group playtested the new CoC rules, way back last year, I have not heard anything about how 7e was doing. Is it still a go or will it just become vaporware? Unless I missed something, you think they would have had a few updates by now.

#2 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Keep watching Kickstarter over the next day or two! It's just awaiting approval…
The Good Friends of Jackson Elias : a Podcast about Call of Cthulhu.

#3 MrBlueSky

MrBlueSky

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

There's some stuff on the forums at the moment, things we know:

Perhaps most importantly, there's been a lot of heated discussions and more than a little red moderator text. The big thread (20 pages) was here if you want to read it. A lot of people have strong opinions, so just be careful and respectful with discussion.

Edit:

Keep watching Kickstarter over the next day or two! It's just awaiting approval…

Well there you go.

#4 JudoMonk

JudoMonk

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

So, kickstarter means the book(s) is done and the money needed is for making MANY print copies of it?

#5 Thomas Phinney

Thomas Phinney

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Urm, no that isn't what "Kickstarter means"—although it could be true.

For a print rule book, using Kickstarter is a way to drive down the unit costs with a bigger print run, and potentially fund larger fixed costs such as better artwork and layout, more writing, etc.

(Me, I just want to see them not using crap fonts for headings or on the cover, and have good layout.)

#6 DrPeterson

DrPeterson

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

Awesome! That's great news!

#7 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

Will there be an option to contribute to the Kickstarter using PayPal like with Achtung! Cthulhu? Otherwise, I won't be able to back this...

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#8 MikeM

MikeM

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

I've just checked with Chaosium and you should be ok using PayPal

Mike
Mike M, Line Editor for Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium Inc.

#9 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Waiting...fingers ready to click pledge.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu

#10 Donnovan_Sunrider

Donnovan_Sunrider

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

I had a chat with Paul and Mike about what to expect from the KS when it goes live. This may answer some questions you have.

http://www.mu-podcas...er-is-imminent/

#11 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

I've just checked with Chaosium and you should be ok using PayPal

Mike

If that is so, you can count me in for at least hardcover versions of both corebooks!

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#12 delrio

delrio

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

Wow! Since my group playtested the new CoC rules, way back last year, I have not heard anything about how 7e was doing. Is it still a go or will it just become vaporware? Unless I missed something, you think they would have had a few updates by now.

playtested the new CoC rules...?
I realize that you're probably under NDA and can't discuss details, but does this mean that for 7E they've actually substantively changed the core rules?? Or have they just tweaked a few numbers?
Delta Green: Rising Tide (rebooted April 2013)

#13 gladius

gladius

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

I realize that you're probably under NDA and can't discuss details, but does this mean that for 7E they've actually substantively changed the core rules?? Or have they just tweaked a few numbers?

I'd suggest checking the threads MrBlueSky referenced above rather than opening that tin of worms again.

#14 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSI, NY

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

The real question is how much of the playtest material is being used for the final 7e product. Perhaps it was not an all-or nothing deal and only certain parts were retained from the test. From what I played, that would be a good plan and might satisfy those who were on the fence over massive changes to their favorite rpg of all time. :)

I haven't heard the podcast yet, so I don't know what was discussed therein at the time I am posting my comment here.

Edited by paladin2769, 28 May 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#15 ElijahWhateley

ElijahWhateley

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

Maybe. That's all anyone can say for sure until the final product comes out.

However, for more information, like gladius says, scroll up and look at the threads MrBlueSky linked to.

#16 delrio

delrio

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

Maybe. That's all anyone can say for sure until the final product comes out.

However, for more information, like gladius says, scroll up and look at the threads MrBlueSky linked to.

I'll take it as a given that nothing is "for sure" until you've got the book in your hand. That said, I was inquiring about the scale of the changes under consideration. You know, out of curiosity. The threads in MrBlueSky's list were about presentation, not rules content. I'm interested in that, too, but when someone said they had playtested the actual new game content, I was of course curious to hear (from someone who has first-hand knowledge) whether there might be big changes for a game that hasn't had a really substantive overhaul since I started playing it 20+ years ago.

edit: actually I see that paladin answered the question, and that "yes" big changes are (or were) at least under consideration - thanks!

Edited by delrio, 28 May 2013 - 03:17 PM.

Delta Green: Rising Tide (rebooted April 2013)

#17 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSI, NY

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

I highly recommend everyone listen to the podcast at: http://www.mu-podcas....r-is-imminent/ . It will answer alot of questions that people have about what is 7e.
Both Paul and Mike discussed the new material that will appear in 7e along with mentioning how the kickstarter would work with the 7e project.
I wasn't sure if I could post their comments from the 'cast here or not. I figured I would err on the side of caution and ask for permission before I do so. :)

#18 MikeM

MikeM

Chaosium Inc.

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

The kickstarter is live!!!!!
Mike M, Line Editor for Call of Cthulhu, Chaosium Inc.

#19 MadCultist

MadCultist

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

The kickstarter is live!!!!!

Link: http://www.kickstart...cently_launched

Whoo! Can't wait to get some money to support this awesome project. :)

Edited by MadCultist, 28 May 2013 - 05:31 PM.
wrong link

"We all go a little mad sometimes." -Norman Bates from Psycho

#20 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

WOW that's expensive!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but $90 (£60) for the rulebook and Investigator handbook in softcover (inc. international shipping) or $120 (£80) for a hardback of both plus PDF's!

I'm all up for supporting Chaosium and would love to see the new version of the rules, even if only because I'm an obsessive collector, but this is just a bit too much!

I'm going to have to give this some serious thought.........

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fundraiser, CoC 7e