Photo
- - - - -

Garum, Garum and more Garum. Roman Food...Supersizers Style.

Invictus

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

Just thinking...would chicken wings be the dormice of our modern era?

Small, boney, sweetly seasoned and kinda expensive for what they are.

Next time I run Invictus I have a feeling I might be getting me a bucket O' wings.
"The die is cast"
- Julius Caesar (ultimate power gamer)

“Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.”
HPL

#22 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

Just thinking...would chicken wings be the dormice of our modern era?

Small, boney, sweetly seasoned and kinda expensive for what they are.

Next time I run Invictus I have a feeling I might be getting me a bucket O' wings.

This has potential, you may try your hand at making defructum, a Roman condiment by way of a dipping or covering substance (I suspect that there were not very many hot spices available to the Romans, so you might not get the really hot wings). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defrutum

Get a couple of bunches of grapes, sweeter the better, and crush them down as though you were going to try to make grape juice. Now boil this in a sauce pot or pan until 2/3 of the original volume remains. If you are feeling like a naughty keeper you can add in Worcestershire sauce or a (not too spicy) oriental fish sauce, or just use as is. This then goes on the wings, rather than, say, ranch dressing or barbeque.

If you are feeling ambitious, you can try your hand at Chicken Fronto:
http://www.celtnet.o...-chicken-fronto

#23 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

The cook in Supersizers just sautéed the mousies in honey.

But...

I may try that defructum recipe, since I love grapes and am planning on planting some vines in my yard this weekend.
Making an authentic-ish Roman feast for my gamer pals isn't going to do-able. Neither are adventurous eaters at all. The closest thing to ancient Roman cuisine they'd be willing to try would be Little Caesar's pizza. Anything beyond that is far too exotic for their un-adventurous tastes.

But...
Friday I will be drinking my cheapo box wine in a plastic Arby's cup and munching on some KFC wing dings.
Hail Caesar!
"The die is cast"

HPL

#24 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

The cook in Supersizers just sautéed the mousies in honey.

To start out my Invictus campaign, and to emphasize to the players that this was an ancient culture, and not a fantasy rpg or the 1920's, my opening was a meeting with a potential patron at a Roman feast, and I described the trauma of an improperly prepared dormouse, to general revulsion:

http://www.yog-sotho...-with-a-problem

I may try that defructum recipe, since I love grapes and am planning on planting some vines in my yard this weekend.

It shouldn't be too hard to render down some grapes that are pressed out for juice, both the juice and the pulp, and with a bit of sugar or honey added rather than some Worcestershire, I bet the players yum it down with chicken bits, even if they are not adventurous gastronomically.

Making an authentic-ish Roman feast for my gamer pals isn't going to do-able. Neither are adventurous eaters at all. The closest thing to ancient Roman cuisine they'd be willing to try would be Little Caesar's pizza. Anything beyond that is far too exotic for their un-adventurous tastes.

Yep, though there is no Columbian Exchange yet--no potato, no maize for polenta, and no tomato for sauce, neither has pasta reached Europe yet, it seems. They can have some barley or oat gruel or cream o' wheat; they can have some chicken or pork; they can have some grape whassis; they can have something like pita bread; all drizzled in Worcestershire sauce. Should satisfy the blandest taste.

If you do this once, especially serving cream o' wheat in Worcestershire sauce as a player snacky food at session, they may insist on taking over the catering, which would in fact be one object of the exercise if I tried it.

But...
Friday I will be drinking my cheapo box wine in a plastic Arby's cup and munching on some KFC wing dings.
Hail Caesar!

An article suggesting the Roman equivalent of box wine: http://www.winespect...e/show/id/48389
The Falernian wine, apparently, had enough alcohol content to catch fire when lit, according to Pliny, so Mad Dog 20/20 sounds about right. If your players get enough on board, they may even come to like filet o' rat.

#25 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

An exhibit about Pompeii recently came to Denver. One of the artifacts on display was a garum jug; they also had an actor roleplaying a Roman matron who had a jug of supposed garum that you could smell (but not taste). Photo of the garum jug attached below.

Posted Image

I like that...even the ancient Romans believed in advertising and marketing.

Diet Garum....Full Fish Flavor, half the calories.
"The die is cast"

HPL

#26 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

sasq2501.jpg

I went and did it, got me a bottle of Squid Brand Fish Sauce.

My mini review.
First off...it tastes nothing like 3 month old rotting fish guts. Think fish food flakes, maybe saltier.

Now what should I sprinkle some on? Lunchtime approaches.

Hah! they have a slick webpage.

Edited by Fallingtower, 02 June 2013 - 03:34 PM.

"The die is cast"

HPL

#27 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3958[/ATTACH]

I went and did it, got me a bottle of Squid Brand Fish Sauce.

My mini review.
First off...it tastes nothing like 3 month old rotting fish guts. Think fish food flakes, maybe saltier.

Now what should I sprinkle some on? Lunchtime approaches.

Hah! they have a slick webpage.

Oh, anything to hand--chicken, bread, salads, pickled salads, mooshed-down peas with onions in them, mooshed-down peas without onions in them, stewed melons, sausages, dormice, and even fish, and while the Romans did not quite have our ice cream, they did seem to have some dish involving snow and ice, plus fruit so perhaps also on a 'slurpee.' for desert.

I must admit the name sounds like the ideal product for a 1920s or modern campaign--the horror from the "Squid Brand" factory, another fine division of New World Industries.

#28 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

I must admit the name sounds like the ideal product for a 1920s or modern campaign--the horror from the "Squid Brand" factory, another fine division of New World Industries.

Yup, I can see that.

If you're a deep one and you fail the master...into the vat!

Not only does he sleep with the fishes...he is one. Just wait and skim.

I have this image of a gaggle of pre-change stevedores, after a long day at work, sitting at the bar downing mug after mug of frothy ice cold garum.

Edited by Fallingtower, 02 June 2013 - 10:16 PM.

"The die is cast"

HPL

#29 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:48 AM

Yup, I can see that.

If you're a deep one and you fail the master...into the vat!

Not only does he sleep with the fishes...he is one. Just wait and skim.

I have this image of a gaggle of pre-change stevedores, after a long day at work, sitting at the bar downing mug after mug of frothy ice cold garum.

Those wanting something stronger can have a Caesar, substituting the garum and the Worcestershire Sauce:
http://www.drinknati...om/drink/caesar

#30 JeffOkamoto

JeffOkamoto

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

Wombat1, that bottled fish sauce is NOTHING compared to what you can really find. Look for smaller glass jars with actual pieces of fish inside them. The liquid will be cloudy and unfiltered, not clear.

#31 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

Wombat1, that bottled fish sauce is NOTHING compared to what you can really find. Look for smaller glass jars with actual pieces of fish inside them. The liquid will be cloudy and unfiltered, not clear.

Cloudy and unfiltered with bits of fish floating in it. I am not the one with the fish sauce to begin with, Falling Tower is, but to my veddy Midwestern mind, it sounds more like a treatment than a treat.

#32 Kuroda

Kuroda

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

Oh, but the cloudy kind with bits of fish in it usually isn't as long-fermented and is maybe even less stinky than the clearer stuff, IME ;) Fishier-smelling and tasting, but without that, erm, rich warm depraved chestnut aroma. Though there's at least twenty different brands on the shelf just at the grocery I go to; I'm sure that's a random tip of the iceberg.

Also, the smell is a lot stronger than the flavor -- and is also more pungent raw than after you've cooked it. (Again, that's just my experience/delusion!) Anyway, I'd encourage anyone who hasn't sampled it to give it a try. It's no more disgusting and exotic than, say, yogurt.

#33 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

I enjoyed hearing Neal's efforts to insert a bit more Roman cuisine into the LoAL game.

Milk fattened snails in garlic and wine sauce & sliced apples baked in honey and cloves.

Poor Helen didn't get her doormouse snack for lunch.
Yum! He won't feel a thing.

Tomorrow I'm going to make Roman Hamburgers aka ISICIA OMENTATA.

Edited by Fallingtower, 03 August 2013 - 07:42 AM.

"The die is cast"

HPL

#34 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationSerpent-haunted Ehssi-Keh, beside the Lake of the Mound

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:17 PM

I've enjoyed the Pass the Garum/ blog for accessible, palatable-to-moderners Roman food. I think a little plate of dulciaria would be a lovely spot of immersion at a Cthulhu Invictus table.

Thanks for the link, Elmo!  I've been an "historical foodie" for quite awhile. Lots of good recipes on there.

I totally agree that food is a good "immersion tool" for gaming.  I've also done several house parties where the food matched up historically with the movie or the origin of the (often obscure) holiday.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Invictus