Photo
- - - - -

Garum, Garum and more Garum. Roman Food...Supersizers Style.

Invictus

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Doing some research on the subject of ancient Rome I came upon a highly entertaining UK show on youtube.

The Supersizers Eat...Ancient Rome

Check it out.

Edited by PoC, 26 August 2013 - 08:10 PM.
wasn't paying attention...

"The die is cast"
- Julius Caesar (ultimate power gamer)

“Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.”
HPL

#2 Helen

Helen

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 705 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

That's a uk tv series (some years old now). They covered lots of time periods, including a 1920s one.
"I like weird. It's all I've got. That and my sweet style."

#3 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Did I say podcast...I meant TV show.

I'm a man...which means I have trouble multi-tasking...

Listening to a podcast while watching youtube clips.

Too much apparently for me to keep organized.

Thanks for the heads up Helen.

Thine Rocketh.
"The die is cast"

HPL

#4 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:23 PM

I have toyed with the idea of using some of the less alarming Roman recipes (no dormouse, for example) slightly modified for player food during one of the Cthulhu Invictus sessions. One could, for example, take a recipe for Lucanian sausages, and, just using ground meat rather than trying to make sausages, make a very nice grill-able burger. (I have tried this experiment, and survived it.)

"A Taste of Ancient Rome" by Ilaria Gozinni Giacosa (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1994), ISBN: 978-0226290324 would have been the source I used for this.

I never quite got organized enough to do so, though, and since fermented fish sauce sounds rather more like a treatment than a treat, I am not sure it would be a big hit.

#5 EdwardPickmanDerby

EdwardPickmanDerby

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

Fermented fish sauce is actually pretty good. Fish sauce is all over SE Asian cuisine.
Its not whether you live or die, its how you go insane.

#6 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,606 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:19 AM

...and since fermented fish sauce sounds rather more like a treatment than a treat, I am not sure it would be a big hit.

i hate to break it to you but if you've enjoyed Worcestershire Sauce, you've had some fermented fish sauce. ;)

Nam Pla is in a lot of dishes as well, but not as many in the US.
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#7 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:48 AM

i hate to break it to you but if you've enjoyed Worcestershire Sauce, you've had some fermented fish sauce. ;)

Yep, Worcestershire sauce is about as far as I can go down that path anymore though I was slightly more adventurous when I was younger; you will perhaps recall that Thai restaurant in Campustown in Ames (which has now converted into a Chinese buffet restaurant) which had the fish sauce that was spicy enough to also be used as a varnish remover, P. Ack. and T. Coch. were particular fans of it. Only once, or maybe twice for that fish sauce, and no more. Most of the players I have now would not thank me if I sprang anything like that on them, less so if I explained what it was.

#8 ElijahWhateley

ElijahWhateley

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

Good Caesar dressing has anchovies, too. Complete coincidence about the name.

#9 elmoiscariot

elmoiscariot

Master

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

I've enjoyed the Pass the Garum/ blog for accessible, palatable-to-moderners Roman food. I think a little plate of dulciaria would be a lovely spot of immersion at a Cthulhu Invictus table.

#10 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

LOL... I have a Garum company in The Legacy of Arrius Lurco. Someone is left one in Arrius Lurco's will.
Founder of Golden Goblin Press : Golden Goblin Press
Check out my Blog : Oscar Rios - Minion of Cthulhu

#11 DrPeterson

DrPeterson

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

Some PhD students from our Classics research group have been cooking and distilling to create some fantastic brews and dishes.
From the sweetest to the most revolting honeywines.
A particularly nasty one was the seawater flavoured one...
de gustibus et coloribus...

#12 justadame

justadame

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationThe Other Side

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Didn't Edith Piaf sing a tribute to Roman Sauce ? "Garum, garum, garum......" etc, ad nauseum.
Contactable by Séance, Oujia Board, Temple Prayers, Email and Facebook (if you know where to look).

#13 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

LOL... I have a Garum company in The Legacy of Arrius Lurco. Someone is left one in Arrius Lurco's will.

Now there's a side scenario for the investigators--someone or something keeps stealing the garum jars. Could be innocuous, could be Mythos-related. But our heroes must figure out who keeps embezzling the rotten mackerel.

#14 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Could be innocuous, could be Mythos-related. But our heroes must figure out who keeps embezzling the rotten mackerel.

Lemme guess...it's deep one mating season.

For a garum-centric character I like the idea of a Philistine garum merchant named Ichthys.
"The die is cast"

HPL

#15 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Lemme guess...it's deep one mating season.

For a garum-centric character I like the idea of a Philistine garum merchant named Ichthys.

That would be a tad too straight forward and would not leave the players exclaiming "Holy Mackerel, Batman!" when they finally solved it. On the other hand, something like this may have potential: Mi-Go exude a variety of chemicals, I suppose, and perhaps garum smells remarkably like a preferred scent to them.

So Icthys, our garum merchant (I like that too), keeps losing his jars because some rather confused Mi-Go keep hauling it away through a gate back to home.

Meanwhile on Yuggoth, the following buzzing conversation takes place.

"You smell wonderful, dear, what is that scent?"
"Chanel Cat number 5"

#16 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

Ichthys the Dagon worshipping Philistine (in my version of the tale) would be a hybrid and have actual deep ones working for him, thus giving him a fishy edge in the garum market. Ichthys' brand would be of the highest quality and thus extremely lucrative. For the embezzlers I'd have to go non-mythos and go with a strange new cult of pagan hating monotheists. Hell bent on destroying Ichthys' business.
"The die is cast"

HPL

#17 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

Now that does have potential. Of course, to give a twist, there could be some garum competitors who wouldn't mind seeing either Ichthys or the cult getting annoyed for some reason, perhaps from the competition on one hand and on the other because they are head of the local mystery cult.

If either or both get thumped, all good, and if the authorities intervene to make the matter settle down, all the better.

#18 Fallingtower

Fallingtower

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

Now that does have potential. Of course, to give a twist, there could be some garum competitors who wouldn't mind seeing either Ichthys or the cult getting annoyed for some reason, perhaps from the competition on one hand and on the other because they are head of the local mystery cult.

If either or both get thumped, all good, and if the authorities intervene to make the matter settle down, all the better.

I always enjoy throwing multiple antagonists into my scenarios. So a cabal of competing garum producers and stirred up Christians versus business minded deep ones would definitely make a nice volatile soup.

Two potential titles for the scenario...Garum, Scarum or The Passion of the Sauce.

Edited by Fallingtower, 21 May 2013 - 11:30 PM.

"The die is cast"

HPL

#19 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:59 AM

Two potential titles for the scenario...Garum, Scarum or The Passion of the Sauce.

Since scenarios often contain little sayings or epigrams after the title, why not keep both?

#20 gladius

gladius

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

An exhibit about Pompeii recently came to Denver. One of the artifacts on display was a garum jug; they also had an actor roleplaying a Roman matron who had a jug of supposed garum that you could smell (but not taste). Photo of the garum jug attached below.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Invictus