226 replies to this topic

#221 Tigger_MK4

Tigger_MK4

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

As long as it isnt manga or the semi-abstract shi...er... rubbish that passed for interior art in VtM 2nd ed, I'll be happy.

So far, the limited amount of art I've seen for 7th ed seems excellent.

Edited by Tigger_MK4, 15 November 2013 - 12:15 PM.

My Beyond the Mountains of Madness blog

"RULES" ARE GUIDELINES !

#222 Cole

Cole

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationBucks County, PA

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

On Dean Engelhardt's blog he published an interview he did with the Sans Detours guys.  One quote I loved seeing there, which might provide guidance (not that there's any shortage of that on this forum, eh, Badger? :-P ) ...

"We, as publishers, have an obligation to make our books more attractive to younger generations of gamers. They need to be simple and easy to understand to readers both novice and expert. A product line that is 30 years old can easily seem overwhelming to someone who is thinking of taking their first step into this universe. Hopefully, experienced gamers can provide a lot of the assistance required to help new players discover this hobby.

When we attend events we see that many younger players know what Call of Cthulhu is or have even played the game themselves. We see it as our job to give those new players the right tools for them to continue to have fun in this game."

From everything I've seen so far, it looks like Badger and the team are doing just that.  

Playing/Running: D&D 5e (Curse of Strahd, Reavers of the Harken Wold), Call of Cthulhu (Down Darker Trails), Aces & Eights, Fate (Art Restoration Syndicate)

#223 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

Enjoyed the blog, Badger.  What an amazing opportunity for you to transform not only the low standard of what Chaosium has produced, but also to evolve your own high-quality work.  I'm excited for you, and looking forward to seeing the finished product. 

Thanks for the kind words, Cole! While i know it's impossible to please everyone, i'm hoping that most Call of Cthulhu fans (new and old) will be happy with what we've done.

As long as it isnt manga or the semi-abstract shi...er... rubbish that passed for interior art in VtM 2nd ed, I'll be happy.

So far, the limited amount of art I've seen for 7th ed seems excellent.

Ummm, no, no manga or anything like that. :)

-=badger

Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#224 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

*bump* Just to let y'all know, Mike has made another update to the 7th edition Kickstarter page, with a first glimpse into how the book design is shaping up, plus a sneak preview of some of the artwork...

-=badger

#225 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:31 AM

No papyrus. Nothing more need be said, this edition will suck.

I hate Papyrus with a passion and have been forced to use it only once on a client's request. I can only sympathise with the layout guy who's doing MWP's Firefly RPG. Firefly is ALL about Papyrus!

On a related note, my maps went off a little while back, were all approved, and are presumably waiting to be placed. I trust Badger's skill implicitly. I also recently did a map in which I included rain. Can't really say much more on that.

I'll happily post teasers etc when/if Charlie, Meghan, or Mike give me permission to do so.

I'm just not sure the Arkham Horror stuff is the best art for Call of Cthulhu.

Hm. Agreed. I love it, but it's quite a modern take on the pulp era and style.

In 1982, at Toppers games in Chester, I was thumbing through a book in a dark green box. My friends and I had been playing D&D for a while and wanted a change. We weren't sure over the dull green box... some of the others wanted to pick up Gamma World. It was this picture by Gene Day that sealed the deal and, I think, is one of the most atmospheric images in any edition.Posted Image

Many years later I now draw for Chaosium. Thank you, Gene Day.

#226 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

Right there with you, Steff. My first Call of Cthulhu purchase was the Escape From Innsmouth sourcebook. The mood and atmosphere, the evocation of dread and decay, that John T. Snyder was able to illicit from his renderings of the town of Innsmouth, captured my eye immediately. 

And now, years later, i get to work with the man on book projects. Amazing.

-=badger

#227 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

Tru dat, Badger.

Incidentally, now that its out, I can say that the map with raindrops is in 'Dead Lights'. Proper isolated horror!