142 replies to this topic

#41 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Behold! Evolution of the Golden Goblin Idol - The Movie! Ia Ia.

Founder of Golden Goblin Press : Golden Goblin Press
Check out my Blog : Oscar Rios - Minion of Cthulhu

#42 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Greetings everyone!

We’re thrilled to have reached our first stretch goal, A Terrible Inspiration! Art assignments are going out and coming in as we speak. I am confident that everyone will be both pleased and impressed with what we’ll have to offer. But that’s only the beginning. As promised we have just revealed the details of Stretch Goal #4; Together Again.

$12,250; Stretch Goal #4; Together Again – Two more new articles will be added to Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion. Written by Miskatonic River Press colleagues Tom Lynch and Oscar Rios, one describes a mystical artifact of Irem taken by Addul Alhazred, while the other takes a closer look at one of the most versatile and overlooked investigator professions.

The Silks of Irem by Tom Lynch - Few facts are known regarding the death of the Mad Arab, Abdul Alhazred. From his writings, it is clear that the mystic and poet was sensing something, an invisible pursuer which eventually caught him in a Damascus marketplace. After the attack, witnesses removed a large, elaborately embroidered silken cloth from around what was left of Alhazred’s corpse. The cloth was pristine, not even dusty, let alone torn or bloody. The patterns decorating the silk caused pain in the eyes of those viewing it, and made the sturdiest of men dizzy. What was this strange cloth? Where had it come from, and what did the mad Arab hope to achieve with it?

Raggedy Clothes and Out-Worn Shoes: A Look at the American Hobo by Oscar Rios – What is a hobo, where does he come from, and what makes him different from a bum or a tramp? Some considered the hobo a dangerous vagrant, others a harmless n’er-do-well. Hobos wandered the roads and rode the rails, finding refuge and persecution along the way. This article will discuss their origins and history, and their culture and lifestyle. It will also talk about hobo songs, signs, and slang, and will explain why hobos are perfectly suited to the life of a Mythos Investigator, presenting several new sub-occupations.

Thank you for backing the Island of Ignorance - The Third Cthulhu Companion Kickstarter.

Oscar Rios - President, Golden Goblin Press

#43 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

Greetings everyone,

This weekend’s promotional event went very well. Myriad Games – Staten Island were great hosts, and are a great gamer friendly store. If you need anything game related or a new hang out and are in Staten Island, definitely check them out.

Those participating in our events were all backer of the Island of Ignorance - The Third Cthulhu Companion, and I hope some of them chime in on the comment section on how they thought the event went. We had some mythos trivia to loosen up and then dove into a long detailed investigation of The Lonely Point Lighthouse. The investigators were pushed to the edge, at one point nearly turning on one another and walking away from the case before even arriving on the island, not to mention almost being run out of New London on a rail! It was a thrilling game to run, I got the impression the players felt the same way about playing it.

The evening ended with the players (not the investigators mind you, the players) summoning He Who Should Not Be Named. The King in Yellow showed up and killed them all. Ah, good times…

In other news interior art is chugging along beautifully. Map assignments may be going out as early as this week. Editorial work is underway for both Consumption and The Lonely Point Lighthouse scenarios. I should also be appearing on the next installment of the Miskatonic University Podcast, where I talk about the Golden Goblin Press, the Island of Ignorance - The Third Cthulhu Companion, Robert E. Howard, zombie batman and a future Golden Goblin Press’ project we've already started working on. Oh, and you'll all get to share in the moment when our project fully funded.

Yours in service to the darkness,

Oscar Rios – President, Golden Goblin Press.

#44 paladin2769

paladin2769

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSI, NY

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

I had a great time Saturday night. I am always a Keeper so this was a blast to be a player. The trivia game was alot of fun and a good warm-up to the main event. I never knew I had such a high Cthulhu Mythos score personally. ;)

There certainly was alot of tension (in-game) and Oscar is a great Keeper as well as author. I played Simon Harper, the private investigator, who was responsible for nearly getting us driven out of New London by villagers with pitchforks and torches or worse. Maybe I was a little too determined in my quest to solve the mystery albeit it at any cost.

An interesting note: we players were amazed at the disparity (if that is the right term to use here) of the dice results all night. There were some criticals here and there but seemed to be alot more fumbles than I have ever seen during a session. I don't think I ever rolled so many high 90's on percentile dice. So much for my favorite set of dice that night. :(

If anyone is interested, I am starting a Call of Cthulhu game myself at Myriad Games (in Staten Island) around 5pm on Saturday, May 18. I have two players so far but a couple more would be more than welcome. Maybe we shouldn't summon The King in Yellow right away though. :)

Edited by paladin2769, 13 May 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#45 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Check out the latest Miskatonic University Podcast, where I talk about Island of Ignorance - The Third Cthulhu Companion, Robert E. Howard, Zombie Batman and the next project being worked on at Golden Goblin Press.

http://www.mu-podcas...1-golden-oscar/

#46 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

As we Goblins need to stick together, I got to hang out with our new friends at The Goblin Press! Take a listen to learn more about the Island of Ignorance - The Third Cthulhu Companion project.

http://goblinbeat.co...ulhu-companion/

Also, here is a beautiful piece of interior art from the project, for The Lonely Point Lighthouse. Enjoy!

Lonely Point Lighthouse 2.jpg

Edited by Gol-Goroth, 15 May 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#47 Sorrowking

Sorrowking

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationBroken Hill, Australia.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

And now the second stretch goal has been reached and there is less than two weeks to go. Get board while you still can!!!!
A mind never lost is a mind never truly experienced.

#48 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Stretch Goal #2 Achieved as we move into the final Dozen Days!

The Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion has achieved its 2nd stretch goal! This means the Dark Gods and Dread Tomes material, two new articles by Tyler Hudak and Eckhart Hulsoff, are now officially part of the project! The book now has 50% more articles for a total of six. Both of these are already in house and ready for final edits. Also, these articles should have art assignments going out next week thanks to stretch goal #1, A Terrible Inspiration (+20% interior art). We can all look forward to an in-depth look at the servant of the Great Old One Bugg-Shash and a peak into the diary of a 18th century Serbian vampire hunter.

The Investigator Backer Levels are nearly all taken. Only four female and a single male Investigator remain available. If you’re thinking of backing at this level the sooner you act the more options will be available to you. Don’t miss out on choosing the face of one of the Heroes and Heroines of the Lovecraft Country. Only six NPC Backer Levels and five Gamer Backer Levels remain available.

We’ve updated the Kickstarter page to give more information about Stretch Goal #5, Side Trials.

Tomorrow we’ll be posting a special update from Jeffrey Moeller with a few words about the project’s next exciting stretch goal, Worst Vacation Ever and his scenario With Blue Uncertain Stumbling.

We’ve moved into the Kickstarter campaign’s final dozen days! Let’s try to spread the word and keep the momentum going!

Oscar Rios – President, Golden Goblin Press.

http://www.kickstart...hulhu-companion

#49 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Greetings everyone!

We here at Golden Goblin Press are excited to be working towards our biggest stretch goal so far. Stretch Goal #3 – Worst Vacation Ever will enlarge Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion by a fourth scenario!

Jeff Moeller has been writing and publishing highly regarded Call of Cthulhu scenarios and campaigns for 20 years, dating back to the early days of The Unspeakable Oath. He has done projects with Pagan Publishing (two scenarios in Mortal Coils: The Resurrected Volume 3: Out of the Vault), Chaosium (The Primal State and The Sevenfold Path), Arc Dream (several pieces for The Unspeakable Oath), and Sixtystone Press (the recently published Lost in the Lights). He also has upcoming projects that he can't talk about yet.

With Blue Uncertain Stumbling is set in Key West, Florida in the summer of 1926. Did you know that "Key West" is actually an English corruption of the Spanish name for the island, Caya Hueso, or Isle of Bones? This scenario is a dark, murderous ghost story, a highly detailed, challenging, multi-layered mystery which fleshes out a classic Mythos tome. It puts a fresh spin on a Mythos creature, and is well-suited for play with a small number of investigators. Grounded in a historical Key West occult legend, it provides thoroughly researched background material on Key West in 1926.

But what does the title mean? Its from the poem Dying by Emily Dickinson -

I heard a fly buzz when I died;

The stillness round my form

Was like the stillness in the air

Between the heaves of storm.

The eyes beside had wrung them dry,

And breaths were gathering sure

For that last onset, when the king

Be witnessed in his power.

I willed my keepsakes, signed away

What portion of me I

Could make assignable,-and then

There interposed a fly,

With blue, uncertain, stumbling buzz,

Between the light and me;

And then the windows failed,

and then I could not see to see.

We have just eleven days left of the campaign. Let’s get the word out and add a few more stretch goals to the project! We’d love to give everyone more content and value for their support and generous backing of Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion.

Thank You!

Oscar Rios – President, Golden Goblin Press

#50 neorxnawang

neorxnawang

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

I'd say "buy my book", but we're not there yet :-( Let's get there, that will make it (assuming you pledge at the bonus levels) a five scenario book plus gads of articles. Sammons, Rios, Aniolowski, Shireman, Harms, yours truly????, more and a murderer's row of authors for the "scenario monkey" contest....

#51 Skyman

Skyman

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

That is a pretty wicked pull from Emily Dickinson.
I have Social Dystrophy

#52 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

How do you know when a scenario is really going to push the boundaries? When you feel the need to assemble a committee to discuss it before going into re-writes.

We just got the 1st draft of Let The Children Come to Me in house, and wow... just wow... okay... so now we need to talk. How far is too far? That's a question that Golden Goblin Press is ready to ask, and explore and Mark Shireman has given us our first opportunity to do so. Fans can look forward to a new level of darkness and horror from this first time scenario author. We expect great things from him in the future as well.

#53 wombat1

wombat1

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

That is a pretty wicked pull from Emily Dickinson.

Yes, a long coach trip with her being cheerful might go under the heading "Second Worst Vacation Ever."

I will say that this is the most intriguing and promising thing to come along recently, so I am looking forward to it.

Edited by wombat1, 18 May 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#54 neorxnawang

neorxnawang

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

Yes, a long coach trip with her being cheerful might go under the heading "Second Worst Vacation Ever."

I will say that this is the most intriguing and promising thing to come along recently, so I am looking forward to it.

Please spread the word everyone. We are $1350 away with 10 days and change to go. Actually we are $850 away since if it gets to $11K I am going to put my own money where my mouth is and back the book.

#55 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

Hello everyone!

While our Kickstarter campaign nears its conclusion production on Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion is steadily gaining momentum. Barely a day goes by not that final art isn't submitted, someone’s submission arrives in house or something moves from editing phase into the final manuscript file. So far the project has been moving forward quite smoothly. Golden Goblin Press is committed to delivering our backers a quality book and in a timely fashion.

Currently 50% of our finished interior illustrations are in house! Rueben Dodd of Sorrorwking Studios is cranking out amazing work for this project. We’re getting ready to start sending out assignments to our team Cartographer, Alyssa Faden, for our project’s many maps. Digital artist Jessica Fisher has requested her first back of photos from our Investigator Level Backers and is at already hard at work on them. People are being contacted in the order they backed, so all you Investigator Level backers please keep an eye out.

Which brings me to the Gamer Level Special Offer – If three backers from the same investigator team back at the Gamer Level they will not only get all the benefits of the Gamer Package, but one of the ten remaining Golden Goblin Idols for their home team. Each Gamer Level Backer gets a copy of the book, a vote in the mystery scenario, a copy of the Mystery Scenario PDF, a Pewter Golden Goblin Idol, a moment from your online play illustrated in the book… plus the three of you will get a Golden Goblin Idol to share (just who’s house is gets to stay in you’ll have to decide for yourselves). With only five Gamer Level backer packages left this is a very limited offer, so act fast. All the three of you gamers need to do is back the project and send us a note with the name of your group and the three Gamer Backers in it and your all set. Ed Possner, this offer goes for you too, you’re already one third of the way there!

We have just ten days left of our Kickstarter Campaign, so spread the word. If you've been watching and waiting to become a backer of Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion act soon, your time is nearly up. We still have several upper level backer packages as well.

Thank you!

Oscar Rios – President, Golden Goblin Press

#56 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hello everyone!

We are moving to the end of our Kickstarter campaign. We're excited to be moving into the full production phase of the Island of Ignorance - The Third Cthulhu Companion project and hope to reach several more stretch goals before the end. But you know who's most excited???

The Goblins, that's who! Will one of the remaining 10 become yours? The choice is yours!

We really need to get this things out of Joe's house... before it's too late.

Oscar Rios - President, Golden Goblin Press

GG hordes attack.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• hordes2sm.jpg

#57 neorxnawang

neorxnawang

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

These Golden Goblin idols are nasty little buggers, especially in multiples.....the wards are complicated and extensive.....save Joe now!

http://www.unz.org/P...8?View=PDFPages

PS Only $580 more dollars now until it hits $11K and I take one off of Joe's hands to hit the next stretch goal.....

#58 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Good Morning Everyone,

We are 1/3rd of the way towards our next stretch goal, our more exciting one so far. To have a little fun with the march towards adding our fourth scenario to the Island of Ignorance - The Third Cthulhu Companion I’ll be posting a short unpublished piece of fiction, broken into thirds! When the campaign reaches 2/3rds of the way to the next stretch goal I’ll post the middle of the story. When we reach Stretch Goal Three – Worst Vacation Ever I’ll post the conclusion to the story.

Below is the first third of a story called The Procedure, is directly based on events from my home Call of Cthulhu campaign. Lisa Padol, Associate Editor for Golden Goblin Press, plays an investigator named Millie Danforth, a successful Arkham nurse. Millie met someone… special… during her play through of A Family Way, a scenario I wrote which was published in More Adventures in Arkham Country. The Procedure is inspired by their most unusual love story.

The Procedure

By Oscar Rios

“Now, let’s start from the beginning.” The voice said, “It’s very important that you’re completely honest with me, that is, if you want to live through this. Oh yes, we’re not really set on killing you. We’re not sure how this is going to turn out. We hope everyone can walk away from this. My name is Joe and we’re going to have a little chat. My, well I guess you can say my employer, can’t speak English, but she understands it just fine. I’ll be translating her questions to you. We already talked to the woman, heard what she had to say. If your story matches hers, that’s all well and good. If not, then one or both of you are lying to us and thing get messy.”

I could tell it was a man from the voice. I was still blindfolded and handcuffed, although now I was sitting in a chair instead of lying in the trunk of a car. I knew we were inside now because I couldn’t feel any wind. I’d also been guided up stairs and across a couple of doorways. Exactly where I was I couldn’t even imagine. Time had lost all meaning, blurred by fear and disorientation. It seemed like I’d been stuffed in the trunk of a car for hours as it drove along bumpy, deserted roads. Logically, I knew, it might have been much shorter.

“So… you’re a doctor, a medical doctor?” the man asked.

“Y...yes, I’m a doctor, a surgeon.” I replied. The words were hard to form; my mouth was so dry from the rag they’d used to gag me. The terror I felt probably wasn’t helping. Suddenly my jaw was forced opened by an unseen hand. Before I could react lukewarm water was poured into my mouth. I drank greedily and felt immediately a little calmer. I slowed my breathing and inhaled slowly through my nose; the air stank of the sea at low tide.

“My employer signed to me that I should give you some water, so you have her to thank for that. She wants you to know we’re not monsters. Before we start, she wants to know if your patient is going to be okay. It’s very important that he hasn’t been harmed. He’s still unconscious; it’s making her uneasy.”

“Yes, he’ll be fine in a few hours…um… I’m not sure how long it’s been since you grabbed us all. I put him under for the procedure. He’s a big man, so I was unsure of the dosage. He should wake up any time.” I replied.

“That’s very good Doc. Can I call you Doc? No, let’s be friend here; your name’s Kevin, right? So let’s hear it Kevin. How the **** did you get mixed up in this?”

He must have gotten my name from my wallet. “Yes, it’s Kevin. I’m a surgeon at Congregational Hospital, but I do see a few patients out of my home office. Ms. Danforth made an appointment to see me. “

“So, she came to you?” The voice asked.

“Yes”, I answered. “I recognized her when she came in. She's a nurse, from Arkham, a good one, or so my colleagues say. I haven’t worked with her personally. I’d heard she’s one of those professional women, bit of a plain Jane and old maid. Well, that’s what everyone thought anyway. No one knew she had a… gentleman in her life. “

“What did she want?”

“She wanted to talk, ask me some questions. She knew I’d been overseas studying with some surgeons in London. We trade notes, train one another on the latest procedures and techniques. That’s probably why she picked me. There aren’t many surgeons who can perform the procedure she was interested in; I’m probably the only one in New England, it’s rather new.”

“Now Kevin, this is me asking. Why the hell would anyone want this done?”

I answered, “It started as a way to reduce the size of enlarged prostate glands. Um, you know when older men take a long time to urinate and it’s sometimes painful? The procedure helps that. The other effects weren’t realized until later.”

“So, this was all the skirt’s idea then?”

“Well no, she said her fiancé asked her to find someone who could perform it. She told me it was his idea and that he’d read about it being done in Europe in a magazine.” Then I hear a shifting, an angry sounding stomp of large boots and the scrapping of wood against wood.”

The man questioning me moved about, whispering to someone. It was hard to make out but I got the impression he was trying to calm his employer down. “She wants to know why you’d take her word in that. Why didn’t you talk to your patient first?” Joe paused and then added, “You said her fiancé, right? They’re engaged?”

“Yes, they're engaged. And please explain to her that I did speak to Mr. Ortiz before I performed the surgery. I spoke to them both, together, to explain all the risks. They were in complete agreement over it; if anything Ms. Danforth had more concerns than Mr. Ortiz.”

To Be Continued…

Thanks to Tom Lynch of Miskatonic River Press, for the use of the image of Mario Ortiz. Thanks to Reuben Dodd of Sorrowking Studios for the amazing Illustration. Thanks to Lisa Padol for the years she's spent play testing my scenarios and her hard work at making so many of them ready for publication.

Mario Ortiz.jpg

#59 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Greetings everyone!

We’re getting down to the wire on our campaign, just four days left to go until we cross the finish line. We’re hopefully about reaching the next couple of stretch goals before then. If you've been waiting to back the project until the last minute, or know someone who has, now is the time to act. For those of you who have backed us, we thank you and look forward to bringing you a collection of useful and interesting articles coupled with a handful of challenging scenarios.

http://www.kickstart...hulhu-companion

#60 neorxnawang

neorxnawang

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

I've seen some of the interior art and it is very kewl. $111 measly dollars away from $11,000 now, and then I have it on good authority that several someones with my last name are going to fund my stretch goal scenario as a Father's Day thang. That's basically 4 copies of the book. Either way, I think Osk has done yeoman's work promoting and putting this book together so far, and I shudder at the prospect of trying to do one myself.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Publisher