1018 replies to this topic

#81 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

I don't like the stretch goal reward, where is the benefit for the other 400+ backers that cannot aspire to travel to a Con in the US? I don't think it is a valid one. See the other kickstarters stretch goals, they added something for every layer of the project.

Although, as others have pointed out, this new announcement is for a "reward level" rather than the stretch goal ... I'm not sure I'm that big a fan of it. The idea of making something super-exclusive is ok ... but when applied to scenarios, I dunno. I figure there are waaay too many CoC collectors out there (including me) who are completists in one way or another when it comes to scenarios -- the idea that there's a mythical "lost" chapter of Orient Express that only four people in the world will ever be able to own? It sort of does my head in a bit.

Dean (from Adelaide)

FREE high-quality Call of Cthulhu scenarios in PDF: cthulhureborn.wordpress.com

#82 Emrys

Emrys

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

200% Funded and haven't hit the first stretch gole yet that's a dissapointment i mean that's 100% extra funding and there's no stretch gole to say thanks for the extra 100%.From what i usuelly see on kickstarter (and i back quiet a few projects) it's usuelly every 10-20 % ish after the first 100% a stretch gole is announced so whats the extra 100% going to? obviously they have to use it to provide the backers product's but if that covers all the extra 100% they obviously don't quiet grasp kick starter.If 40k was the funding needed for the base project then surly 40k should have been the gole.

I don't think Chaosium expected to return from Gencon and find that the project had exceeded the initial target. While projects don't usually set their first stretch goal at 250% of the base amount it wouldn't make sense for Chaosium to set it any (or much) lower given the amount that had already been pledged by the time the first goal was announced - it's not a stretch goal, after all, if a target's already been exceeded before it's been announced.

The other point to bear in mind is that any stretch goal has to be funded from the pledges. What can be offered in return for reaching a goal depends on both what economies of scale are delivered by getting more pledges than were originally budgeted for and how close to the actual cost price the original pledge levels were set. Chaosium haven't raised $40,000 because backers are offering to pay $120 for their $60 pledge level, the $40,000 just means that Chaosium have got to produce twice as many box sets than they'd expected/hoped to.
Nightmares in Norfolk did come back, albeit briefly, with a brand new group of investigators! Why not visit and see if you see when I went wrong (and, for the love of Dagon, comment)?

#83 Cephas

Cephas

Master

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Although, as others have pointed out, this new announcement is for a "reward level" rather than the stretch goal ... I'm not sure I'm that big a fan of it. The idea of making something super-exclusive is ok ... but when applied to scenarios, I dunno. I figure there are waaay too many CoC collectors out there (including me) who are completists in one way or another when it comes to scenarios -- the idea that there's a mythical "lost" chapter of Orient Express that only four people in the world will ever be able to own? It sort of does my head in a bit.

Dean (from Adelaide)

Yeah, I agree. It'd likely motivate more sales as a stretch goal that was made available to everyone with a .pdf or print copy, leaving a level where four people could get it ran for them at Gen-Con.

#84 stefman123

stefman123

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:06 AM

I don't think Chaosium expected to return from Gencon and find that the project had exceeded the initial target. While projects don't usually set their first stretch goal at 250% of the base amount it wouldn't make sense for Chaosium to set it any (or much) lower given the amount that had already been pledged by the time the first goal was announced - it's not a stretch goal, after all, if a target's already been exceeded before it's been announced.

The other point to bear in mind is that any stretch goal has to be funded from the pledges. What can be offered in return for reaching a goal depends on both what economies of scale are delivered by getting more pledges than were originally budgeted for and how close to the actual cost price the original pledge levels were set. Chaosium haven't raised $40,000 because backers are offering to pay $120 for their $60 pledge level, the $40,000 just means that Chaosium have got to produce twice as many box sets than they'd expected/hoped to.

Whilst I agree with and understand what your saying the above should all be factord in to the base amount the way it currently looks is like they need 30k to improve handouts to peoaple that wouldn't think of the above.as for it not being an s gole what I was getting at is there should have been one way before 240% as a kick starter shouldnt need 240% funding to get the base product to backers if it's correctly done its projections to factor in all aspects to the base amount.hopefully though if they do it again there math/projections will take more in to consideration

#85 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:14 AM

So, it's actually $10 or $30. Which is why I went with 1 below First Class to save $20 on shipping and apparently receive a t-shirt instead of the keeper screen. While I would like the keeper screen, I'm not will to pay $40 for it and lose the t-shirt.

You were right (although I hate to admit it ;)), this is the best option for us outside US.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu

#86 MrBlueSky

MrBlueSky

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

You were right (although I hate to admit it ;)), this is the best option for us outside US.

Internationally it's cheaper to buy the Campaign Deluxe and the T-Shirt separately (70+10) + (45+10) = $135. Includes everything in Conductor for $25 cheaper, plus you get another set of dice and another ticket.

Hopefully they fix that soon.

#87 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

Charlie at Chaosium has been in touch to say they are interested in using our Innsmouth House Players' HotOE characters in the new edition.

Speaking on behalf of the group, I said "Yes, of course!".

#88 jorune

jorune

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Congratulations.

#89 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Charlie at Chaosium has been in touch to say they are interested in using our Innsmouth House Players' HotOE characters in the new edition.

Yay! :)

#90 Monzach

Monzach

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

Congratulations, Paul :D

I do hope that Mrs. Sunderland is listed as "Auntie Betty". :P

#91 zombieneighbours

zombieneighbours

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

Now all we need is reaper bones of the Innsmouth house players characters and the NPCs <.< >.> <.<

#92 hamster

hamster

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

That's fantastic news, I think thats a really nice thing to do considering how many people will be contributing purely because they listened to the game and now want the campaign themselves

#93 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

That is excellent news, and nice of Chaosium to recognise your contribution towards keeping the campaign in fans' eyes.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#94 Mograg

Mograg

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

That's really cool that Chaosium is including the Bradford Player-Investigator write-ups in the game! I was on the fence about contributing to this Kickstarter initiative, since I have the original Horror on the Orient Express set, but I'm edging towards contributing when I hear about cool stuff like that.

Cheers,

Brian C.

#95 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Wow...I leave for a week and the KS hits 200%! Very cool! Of course, now we all have to wait!

I realize shipping has become an interesting issue, but I do have a question. I only see shipping for inside the US required for the Con and Retailers prize pack. Can we then assume there is no shipping costs for in the US for the First Class ($90) and below?

#96 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

News from the Kickstarter update:

The reprint of Horror on the Orient Express will be compatible with Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition

#97 Noble

Noble

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

It's nice to hear it will be 7th Ed compatible, but then isn't all of the 'back catalog' compatible?
The static in my mind, leaves me hollow and unkind.

#98 Apofis

Apofis

Master

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

Wow...I leave for a week and the KS hits 200%! Very cool! Of course, now we all have to wait!

I realize shipping has become an interesting issue, but I do have a question. I only see shipping for inside the US required for the Con and Retailers prize pack. Can we then assume there is no shipping costs for in the US for the First Class ($90) and below?

It is in there, quite expensive:

Con Prize Package

The ultimate prize support package for your convention. You will receive a box-o-goodies to use for your convention. Included will be copies of Call of Cthulhu, Basic Roleplaying, and 4 copies of Horror on the Orient Express, a smattering of monographs, a couple of sourcebooks, plus bumper stickers and an array of handouts which could include resistance tables, keeper's screens, sanitarium forms, and more. The list is an example of what may be included, but, because we cannot predict how many will be rewarded we cannot give a conclusive list.

If you would like your box of booty before Horror on the Orient Express is available (August of 2013), we will add in extra sourcebooks to compensate.

Please add $15 for orders within the USA.

Please add $40 for shipping to Canada.

Please add $65 for shipping internationally.

Retailer's Delight

This reward is for the retailers. You will receive 6 copies of the boxed set, plus a hefty stack of Miskatonic University bumper stickers and an array of extra handouts which could include (but does not necessarily include, nor is limited to): resistance tables, Orient Express posters, Miskatonic University pencils, and more.

Please add $20 for shipping within the USA.

Please add $90 for shipping to Canada.

Please add $100 for international shipping.

For shipping inside the US of the lower leves, I think its included in the pledge ammount

#99 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

Right - that is for the con prize pack and the retailers delight pack. They don't state anything for the normal First class level. I've also asked this on the KS page - just didn't know if I missed it.

#100 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,382 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

Half of the new $750 level ("One Night at Gen Con") has already gone:

One Night at Gen Con — Australian Orient Express editor Mark Morrison will run you through a never-before-played Orient Express scenario on Friday night at Gen Con Indy 2013 from 9pm until late. This unique scenario will only ever be run once, and at the completion of the game you and the other three players will each be handed a watermarked and bound copy of the scenario, and the original file will be deleted; only four copies of the scenario will be kept in existence, along with the scars and memories of this one night of terror. This reward level also includes all benefits of FIRST CLASS.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fundraiser, CoC 7e