166 replies to this topic

#1 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Over the past few months we've been dropping the odd hint here and there that a new book was in the works from Innsmouth House Press, well it's time to formally announce it...

The Express Diaries

express-diaries-cover.jpg

The Express Diaries is a novelisation of the Innsmouth House Players (Bradford Players) quite particular journey through this epic Call of Cthulhu campaign. The adaptation is written by Nick Marsh (Soul Purpose, Past Tense, The Ancients) and features superb art by Eric M. Smith (Lovecraftian Tales from the Table and myriad YSDC art). It will be available as an eBook and a wonderful jacketed hardcover.

This book has been years in the making and as you know, printing books and paying authors & artists isn't cheap. As such we'll be holding an IndieGoGo fundraiser (a European-friendly version of Kickstarter).

[Update] NOW COMPLETED at
http://www.indiegogo.../expressdiaries

Some of the fundraiser incentives will include a small number of options for having your name or likeness immortalised in The Express Diaries.

It's a great book, featuring what have become some well-loved characters and I'll be proud to see this published. With your support we can make that happen.

#2 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

I proofread this for Nick. It's really really good :D I think it works if you've heard the audio adventures, but it also works if you haven't, whether you're familiar with the original campaign or not. It captures the players' characters very well, and is a real page-turner. Thoroughly recommended. Looking forward to having a copy in my sticky mitts.

#3 Cthimothy

Cthimothy

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Excellent! Nick's other books are great and I have no doubt this will be just as good. I wonder if this will be the first published novel based on an RPG campaign (as opposed to novels based on campaign worlds, like the Dragonlance series)?
Gaunts Gamers
Goin' down to Innsmouth...

#4 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

An example of some of Eric's art is available on his blog.

express-diaries-art-1.jpg

#5 PhoneCallOfCthulhu

PhoneCallOfCthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Looks awesome. Definitely looking forward to it.
Thanks Nick, Eric, Paul and all the Bradford/Innsmouth House players!

#6 patrick1971

patrick1971

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Could someone put up a link, I'm being inept and having a real issue finding it!...

#7 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

The fundraiser doesn't start until mid-late April. ;) The first post was just a heads up that it's coming!

#8 LoneKharnivore

LoneKharnivore

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

I can only say what I told Nick once I had finished proofing this for him...

"Wow. Just... wow. I haven't finished the audio campaign yet, so this was almost entirely a new story to me, and... well, if you'll permit me to gush for a moment, this book made me laugh, cry, shudder in disgust and shiver in fear; it's a journey in and of itself. You write romance with as deft a touch as you do grisly horror and courageous action. The death of each character is as much of an emotional wrench for the reader as it is for their friends, and the finale was literally stunning. One of the best things I've ever read!"

So, yeah, it's pretty damn good :D
[RAG | YMMV]

You, too, will come to understand fear as I have.

#9 lordof1

lordof1

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

*blush*

Thanks LK, YT and Cthimothy.

I owe it all to Garth Marenghi, of course :)
'Hi, I'm Nick Marsh. You may remember me from such classics as 'The Pale God', or 'Shadows by Gaslight - episode 3'!'
http://lordof1.blogspot.com - News from a Vet on the Front Line

#10 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Some excerpts from the ms. (and more art samples) are available over on Nick's blog:

The Express Diaries - 1

The Express Diaries - 2

Twitter hashtag is: #ExpressDiaries

#11 Draugmith

Draugmith

Community Patron

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

By the Key and the Gate, that is some gorgeous art! Is that a trois-quart portrait of Auntie Betty? :)
"Restore from Remote Backup" demanded the SysAdmin.
"Om Nom Nom" answered the file server.

#12 Noble

Noble

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Looking good, will be ready to back this project once it starts up. Grand art work too, I love a wash!
The static in my mind, leaves me hollow and unkind.

#13 Emrys

Emrys

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

Some excerpts from the ms. (and more art samples) are available over on Nick's blog:

The Express Diaries - 2

Is it me or does one of those journal entries indicate that the book's not following the audio game precisely?
Spoiler

#14 lordof1

lordof1

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Is it me or does one of those journal entries indicate that the book's not following the audio game precisely?

Quite right, Emrys - well spotted. There are a few changes to the plot, partially for brevity (the book currently weighs in at around 105,000 words) but mainly because what works in a game doesn't always translate well into a novel. What this means is that if you know the audio campaign like the back of your hand, there will still be a few surprises in store for you in The Express Diaries!

On a related note - I was hoping to release a Special Edition version of the audio game to commemorate the release of the book, where all Violet's lines are re-dubbed by a New Zealander, Milos shoots in self-defence rather than cold-blood, Beylab the Perspirer is replaced by a rubbery CGI alien, and the Jigsaw Prince screams 'Noooooo!' during the climactic scene. Sadly, Paul wasn't keen on the idea. Can't imagine why...
'Hi, I'm Nick Marsh. You may remember me from such classics as 'The Pale God', or 'Shadows by Gaslight - episode 3'!'
http://lordof1.blogspot.com - News from a Vet on the Front Line

#15 Emrys

Emrys

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, UK

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Ah, that makes sense (tweaking the plot, that is, not Paul's reluctance to produce a Special Edition).

#16 Draugmith

Draugmith

Community Patron

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

I was hoping to release a Special Edition version of the audio game to commemorate the release of the book, where all Violet's lines are re-dubbed by a New Zealander, Milos shoots in self-defence rather than cold-blood, Beylab the Perspirer is replaced by a rubbery CGI alien, and the Jigsaw Prince screams 'Noooooo!' during the climactic scene. Sadly, Paul wasn't keen on the idea. Can't imagine why...

Laffin like a goon over here. :D
"Restore from Remote Backup" demanded the SysAdmin.
"Om Nom Nom" answered the file server.

#17 Kallisto73

Kallisto73

Master

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Yay, I will so back this!

#18 CAThompson

CAThompson

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • LocationChengdu, China

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:31 AM

So cool.

Quite right, Emrys - well spotted. There are a few changes to the plot, partially for brevity (the book currently weighs in at around 105,000 words) but mainly because what works in a game doesn't always translate well into a novel. What this means is that if you know the audio campaign like the back of your hand, there will still be a few surprises in store for you in The Express Diaries!

On a related note - I was hoping to release a Special Edition version of the audio game to commemorate the release of the book, where all Violet's lines are re-dubbed by a New Zealander, Milos shoots in self-defence rather than cold-blood, Beylab the Perspirer is replaced by a rubbery CGI alien, and the Jigsaw Prince screams 'Noooooo!' during the climactic scene. Sadly, Paul wasn't keen on the idea. Can't imagine why...

Did you remember to offer to let him do the accents?

#19 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

This sounds and looks really cool. I'll definitely back this project if I can.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#20 cjearkham

cjearkham

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

E I wonder if this will be the first published novel based on an RPG campaign (as opposed to novels based on campaign worlds, like the Dragonlance series)?

Probably not. I remember reviews of a number of fantasy books published during the '80s and '90s which said they read like the record of a role-playing game. It may, however, be the first to explicitly admit to being an adaptation of a particular game.
Chris Jarocha-Ernst
Hagiographer of the Cthulhu Mythos