• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#41 JonHook

JonHook

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

Perhaps you could have another, similar, item on the show but about specific Mythos locations, a kind of travel guide perhaps.

That is an awesome idea! Please consider it stolen. Not "Oceans Eleven" kind of stolen... more like Tooth Fairy stolen. :)

#42 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

That is an awesome idea! Please consider it stolen. Not "Oceans Eleven" kind of stolen... more like Tooth Fairy stolen. :)

Hey, I was posting it with the intention of having you "steal" it if you liked the idea. You could alternate between Bestiary, Special Collections and Mythos Locations (not sure what you should call this item in the show) or, even better, have one of each on every show, unless other items turn out requiring more time of course.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#43 Donnovan_Sunrider

Donnovan_Sunrider

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

We do have some time limitations on recording. Both of the other guys have little kids, and we try to record before they get up in the morning. So, we give ourselves a window from 5 am to 7 am dedicated. Occasionally a tyke might get up before our designated time, and we adjust accordingly.
Things that are pre-recorded can be added in post, however. So anything submitted by listeners can be listened to by all of us prior to recording and then inserted after the fact.

#44 Donnovan_Sunrider

Donnovan_Sunrider

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

We just released the first episode of our live play game of The Ilsley Variant! This episode covers character creation and the beginnings of play. I hope everyone enjoys the show.

#45 JonHook

JonHook

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

We just released the first episode of our live play game of The Ilsley Variant! This episode covers character creation and the beginnings of play. I hope everyone enjoys the show.

I'd love to know what folks think of our actual play game.

#46 Skyman

Skyman

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:52 PM

Well done. Where did you find the digital painting on the website? Very fitting. BTW My wife, Danielle, wanted to let you know that Jon sounded very academic and could have talking about anything like calculus or fixing a busted engine in a Harley motorcycle. She said the podcast was apply named.
As for the actual game play...good start. I like this scenario and its nice to see Jon handle the narrative for the curiosity component because I think this scenario may seem intimidating to some keepers to play out who might have read the scenario and not feel the curiosity component is strong enough to pull in the players. Can't wait to listen to the next one. I like how everyone goes over what their character is like and what would motivate them. Richard is kinda fun to listen to as he kinda doesn't come across like 'I know it all' and evokes what players in general would ask which is something I think useful for those trying to get a feel for the game plus his deep voice Sounds like Sam Elliot.
One thing I would like to point out is that you guys came across a situation where someone rolled an 11 or something and the character had something like 50% chance. Jon noted it was on the edge of a crit but did not expand on it further. I think it might be kinda informative if you guys had briefly touched/reviewed on how a crit is derived and the impact it has on outcomes... Just saying not that I want to drag the play out more than what's entertaining.
I like how you guys demonstrated the research aspects and gave context to what was gained or not gained. Good times. I look forward to your next episode. I like how this scenario ends.
I have Social Dystrophy

#47 JonHook

JonHook

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

Hi Skyman! That is so cool that you and your wife have already listened to the first part of the actual play. Thank you so much for the kind words, and you hit the nail on the head about how Keeper Murf sounds like Sam Elliot.

I do get wrapped-up into the game when I'm playing/keeping, but if I think about it while we're playing I'll point out any rule clarifications as we come across it.

#48 Donnovan_Sunrider

Donnovan_Sunrider

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

The painting of The King on the Throne is my personal photoshop results. I started with two different images from the Age of Conan MMO. Then I found the sword separately and applied a few filters to help make it all look painted.

We're having a great time playing the game. I'm getting a kick out of the interactions between Richard and Wally.

Criticals have been discussed in the regular podcast in episode 3, but it makes sense to just give a brief mention during play as well.

#49 Skyman

Skyman

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:42 AM

Well great job Donnovan Sunrider! Looking forward to the interaction between the PCs.
I have Social Dystrophy

#50 fubarinpa

fubarinpa

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Whoo hoo! I got a shout-out for my itunes review of the podcast! Wait, my itunes name is FubarFromFangoria? Wow, its been a long time since I wrote a podcast review on itunes. Gotta change that.

Any-whoo, the show is awesome. You guys are only six episodes in and you are doing better then most game podcasts that have been recording for years (like my own work. I'm still using a tin can to record Skype interviews).

Keep up the good work!

#51 Donnovan_Sunrider

Donnovan_Sunrider

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:25 PM

Thanks! Yep, it said from Fangoria. I'm glad Jon could correlate you with the post name. I probably wouldn't have put it together.
I had a flippin' webcam on my shirt. All it takes is a little Audacity magic to make things sound good. ;-)

#52 Donnovan_Sunrider

Donnovan_Sunrider

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

Episode 6 has just been released! http://www.mu-podcast.com/6

#53 fubarinpa

fubarinpa

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

Episode 6 has just been released! http://www.mu-podcast.com/6

Another great episode. Can't wait to hear more actual play.

#54 liebkraft

liebkraft

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

Congratulations to this project, you do the job really well and I'm a regular listener since episode 1
Join the Trapezoeder-Corps!

#55 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

You guys are going too fast! I can't keep up with you!!! :)
Looking forward to catch up. I am still listening #4.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu

#56 Donnovan_Sunrider

Donnovan_Sunrider

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

You have two weeks until episode 7. Better get cracking. ;)

#57 mjmedwick

mjmedwick

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

Just finished listening to the character creation/live play episode for The Ilsley Variant. Apologies - I know you've already touched on this elsewhere, but can you share just a little more of your technical know-how about how you get such good recording quality? Given the fact that you are all joining in from remote locations, it's really top notch -- almost sounds as if all three hosts are recording in the same physical space. I detect distinct improvements since earlier recorded episodes. I asked Paul MacLean a similar question about his recording techniques for the Innsmouth House games, and he mentioned that he's planning to do a technical essay on capturing live sessions, presumably related to binaural audio. That said, games mediated over Skype or phone lines present their own, distinct challenges in that regard. I know that Keeper Dan uses Audacity software, but would love to hear any other insights and observations about recording and refining the audio files. Maybe a few notes on the MU website?

I'm very much looking forward to the next live play installment. Aside from being great fun to listen to, I think these game sessions make an excellent complement to the regular MU episodes, particularly when the keeper and players pause very briefly now and again (as you do) to discuss the practical application and adaptation of the rule set. That's pure gold for those of us who are still keeper-neophytes. For my own part, I'm about to run a long-delayed, original CoC scenario using Fantasy Grounds/Skype about two weeks from now. It's my first time in the keeper's chair in about 20 years, and following along with the MU podcasts has been great preparation as well as a real confidence-booster.

Again, this whole enterprise is proving to be an exceptionally valuable one for those of us interested getting to grips with the nuts and bolts of CoC, and the milieu of Lovecraftian gaming in general. Given the quality of the shows and the listener feedback you've received thus far, it's easy to predict that the MU Podcast is going to snowball into something much bigger over time. Proud to have been one of your loyal listeners since episode 1.

- Michael
"Let's see if anyone tries to kill us and work backwards." Dr. Who / "The Impossible Astronaut"

#58 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,417 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

I asked Paul MacLean a similar question about his recording techniques for the Innsmouth House games, and he mentioned that he's planning to do a technical essay on capturing live sessions, presumably related to binaural audio.

Actually it's a book and it covers the lot. :)

#59 mjmedwick

mjmedwick

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Actually it's a book and it covers the lot. :)

That's great to know, Paul -- sorry I hadn't fully grasped the comprehensive nature of your project. Certainly, an ongoing conversation covering the gamut of techniques, hardware and software can only be valuable for those of us planning to make our own games available to listeners. As mentioned previously, my fondest wish would be to see a consolidated directory of live-play Lovecraftian games on, or associated with YSDC -- not the actual recordings themselves, aside from the Innsmouth House sessions of course -- but a group-curated list of links to other locations on the web where the media files are housed. I intend add my own little contribution to the body of such material, but I need to learn more about the technical aspects of production first.

In any case, it's encouraging to see through the MU Podcast what can be done with tools as simple as the free Audacity software and a webcam microphone!
"Let's see if anyone tries to kill us and work backwards." Dr. Who / "The Impossible Astronaut"

#60 JonHook

JonHook

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hi Michael, thanks for the kind words. I'm sure Dan will see your note here, but I'll also be sure to pass it along to him about updating a portion of our MUP website with technical info on what we use to record.

I am not ashamed to admit that I am the moron of our group. Both Murph and Dan record each of our shows, I think it serves a couple of purposes... 1) We have a back-up file of the show, just in case, and 2) Murph's voice can be spliced into the recording, (if need be), to make him sound more "in the same room" kind of thing. Now, as I write this, I do not know if Dan actually does that with Murph's recording. I've only heard that it can be used that way. As far as I know, Dan is just posting the recording he does on his computer. I don't do a dang thing except show up and talk! LOL :)

I'm glad you're liking the Live Play recording. We're having a great time doing it, and I've even mapped out a couple more scenarios to follow-up with, should these investigators survive. :)

We record episode 8 this Sunday, and then record the next installment of the Live Play the Sunday after that. We flip-flop what we record with each Sunday.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press Release, Podcast