#21 Donnovan_Sunrider

Donnovan_Sunrider

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Episode 4 has been released! http://www.mu-podcast.com/4
We cover the final part of character creation, income and shopping for equipment. We also have our first contest, with the prize being a copy of the new Cthulhu by Gaslight!

#22 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

I've been listening to the first 3 podcasts...love them so far! Can't wait to listen to #4!

#23 Cthulhugh

Cthulhugh

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:21 AM

Hey guys,
another great episode,and now I'm famous!....almost.

My first game (modern era) a fellow investigator was wondering around a park in East Melbourne with a long black cape and a massive sword and he was a priest! I can see merit in grounding the players a bit in reality regarding equipment.

On the subject of the Hound of Tindalos,from a newbie Keeper perspective they sound pretty lethal,not something I think I'd be throwing at my newbie group.it sounds like if you throw the HoT at a group they are all going to die.

I've been having a squiz around the forums and found this thread which I found quite informative.

Keep up the good work,I echo trevlix,can't wait for the next one.

#24 Donnovan_Sunrider

Donnovan_Sunrider

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Yeah, the Hounds are a nasty opponent. Jon's idea of making one hunt for an NPC may well be the best way to handle it. Make it an NPC the investigators have known in prior games so they'll care about what happens. Then unleash the Hounds!

#25 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

Another great episode. I'd love to have the sections where you talk about chargen by them selves as something to let players listen to so as to bring some of them both down-to-earth and in-line with expectations.

Nigel

#26 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

Really enjoying the podcast so far, guys. Very inspirational; even though I'm currently preparing to run a completely different RPG - Coyote Trail, an excellent western game from Precis Intermedia - it's got me eager to get back to Call of Cthulhu or at least to the Cthulhu Mythos.

The Bestiary and Special Collections are just awesome! I do hope we get many more of those.

It may be interesting to add ideas to the Bestiary for how someone could, at least temporarily, survive an attack by the nasty being discussed. In the case of the Hound for example, it would be great if the players could get a request for help from an NPC with part of his body missing. But for that to happen this NPC would have to survive an encounter with the Hound at least once.

As far as character creation is concerned, I personally add the condition that the characters my players come up with have some sort of connection to eachother and will be able to cooperate without too many problems.

Edited by HomoLupusDomesticus, 16 April 2012 - 10:08 AM.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#27 JonHook

JonHook

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

I've been having a squiz around the forums...

LOL! We need more Australian Dictionary references, that's for sure.

#28 JonHook

JonHook

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Another great episode. I'd love to have the sections where you talk about chargen by them selves as something to let players listen to so as to bring some of them both down-to-earth and in-line with expectations.

Nigel

Very interesting idea. Keeper Dan is the magic man when it comes to editing our show. It'd be interesting to know if he could splice together a single recording that only has our character generation discussions in it.

#29 JonHook

JonHook

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

It may be interesting to add ideas to the Bestiary for how someone could, at least temporarily, survive an attack by the nasty being discussed. In the case of the Hound for example, it would be great if the players could get a request for help from an NPC with part of his body missing. But for that to happen this NPC would have to survive an encounter with the Hound at least once.

That is a great idea. I'll keep that in mind for the next Bestiary segment.

As far as character creation is concerned, I personally add the condition that the characters my players come up with have some sort of connection to eachother and will be able to cooperate without too many problems.

That's funny, we just began recording an actual play, and we even recorded the character generation portion of the game. I'm the keeper for this game, and I did insist that Dan and Murf's characters have a connection of some sort in order to avoid the "You look trustworthy" bit of the game. Spoiler, their characters are cousins.

I'm not sure, but I think we're going to wait until the whole actual play is finished being recorded before we edit them together and release them. I think. To be honest, I'm not sure. We haven't discussed the release schedule of the actual play yet. I think we can finish the game in 6 or 8 hours. So I don't know if we're going to edit them together into one or two long recordings, or just release them in the two-hour segments that we're recording them in.

Oh well, look for them soon. We are playing "The Ilsely Variant," by Rick Hudson, published in the "Dead Leaves Fall" monograph. That is the Chaosium Halloween Contest monograph from 2011.

#30 Koakai

Koakai

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

I have a copy of the 1897 Sears and Roebuck reprint at my house, since it was a great resource when I was taking historical archaeology in university. Nothing quite like flipping through that book in order to see just how the style of things was back then and how things have changed.

Apparently the sears roebuck archive has been opened up online, but I have yet been able to disgorge any goodies from it's depths. It has defeated me thus far. But the site for that is at http://www.searsarchives.com/

A cool site I just found while looking around is at http://www.zimbio.com/Old+Catalogs . A gentleman is taking a lot of time scanning old catalogs and putting them up on flikr. Apparently he runs an old catalog site, but hey, it has Canadian catalogs, which I find cool. http://forrestflande...al.typepad.com/

And just a second quick edit in here. Glanced at the wikipedia entry for mail order and found the list of first publication. Nothing in the UK prior to 1900.

Year Mail Order Catalogues were founded
Montgomery Ward: 1872 (US)
Eaton's: 1884 (Canada)
Sears: 1893 (US)
Universal Stores: 1900 (UK)[11]
Freemans: 1905 (UK)[12]
Empire: 1907 (UK)[13]
Grattan: 1912 (UK)[14]
L.L.Bean: 1912 (US)
Eddie Bauer: 1920 (US)
La Redoute: 1922 (France)[15]
Littlewoods: 1932 (UK)[16]
Miles Kimball: 1935 (US)
Vermont Country Store: 1945 (US)
Walter Drake: 1947 (US)

Edited by Koakai, 16 April 2012 - 08:23 PM.

#31 nclarke

nclarke

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationSunny South Coast

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

The issue in the UK is likely to be the proximity of shops to most areas of habitation. Unlike the US where the huge distances from the East Coast centers of production meant that it was difficult to pop down to the store not many UK folks were likely to be further than a shortish walk or a short bus or train ride from a town where most goods were available in the shops.

Edit: I suspect that the UK based catalogues may have offered a selection of ladies apparel in the latest styles which might take some time to percolate from say London or Manchester to the wilds of Wolverhampton.

#32 Donnovan_Sunrider

Donnovan_Sunrider

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:10 PM

nclarke, I like the idea of editing the segments together for a solid character generation block. I can even include the character gen from our live play game we just started as a real example. I can't guarantee anything regarding when I'll have that ready, though. I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

Koakai, those are some great links! I plan to make a game resource page for the MUP site, and those will be on it.

HomoLupusDomesticus, I also give the characters a means of connection and reasoning for investigation. I created the Miskatonic Area Paranormal Society, a club run by one of the MU professors that people with an interest in odd things can join and go on ghost hunts and the like. I basically modeled it on TAPS from Ghost Hunters... Okay, ripped-off is more correct.
I tell my players that their characters should have some connection with MAPS, and as things get stranger and possibly more lethal, I state that other members (AKA replacement characters) are already "on their way". They'll just never arrive until a current character has died. ;-)

#33 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

I also rule out incompatible backgrounds or professions unless the players come up with a good story to make them work anyway. For example, if one of them is keen on playing a cop I'll strongly suggest that none of the others play a mob member. Considering job oibligations, in this cae I'll also suggest that they all play cops.
In general CoC characters should be more curious and motivated to investigate than perhaps could be considered "realistic". That's just a condition for the game to work at all. Players questioning their character's motivation to continue investigating all the time only slow down the game.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#34 Donnovan_Sunrider

Donnovan_Sunrider

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Episode 5 has just been released. Get it while it's hot!
http://www.mu-podcast.com/5

#35 epossing

epossing

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

MU Podcast is now one of my favorite listens. It's up there with Unspeakable Oath and YSDC: Public Podcasts.

#36 Donnovan_Sunrider

Donnovan_Sunrider

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

That's high praise indeed, thank you!

#37 JonHook

JonHook

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

Episode 5 has just been released. Get it while it's hot!
http://www.mu-podcast.com/5

I want to apologize right now for my gibbering at the very end of the show. My son came down and was desperately trying to get my attention so I was only half-listening when Dan was talking about the H. P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast and how much he likes that show. So then I chime in, like an idiot, with my overly professed love for the show.

So let me just set the record straight now. While I am deeply in love with the HPL Literary Podcast, I am not so in love as to be fast-talked into killing a man over it. One's love of something, even a podcast, can only go so far.

Maybe now I sound less like a gibbering idiot. Right?

#38 Gracehoper

Gracehoper

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Is it possible to enter the character contest with more than one character?

#39 JonHook

JonHook

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

Is it possible to enter the character contest with more than one character?

No, one entry per person, please. If you make several characters, pick your best one and send it in.

#40 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

The Bestiary and Special Collections are just awesome! I do hope we get many more of those.(...)

Perhaps you could have another, similar, item on the show but about specific Mythos locations, a kind of travel guide perhaps.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press Release, Podcast