Photo
- - - - -

ToC Resource PDFs - Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu & Enchiridion of Elucidation

Press Release

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:21 PM

Now a Front Page news item!

#42 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:06 PM

I had a nice chuckle with the example of the Keeper's response to the use of the Craft skill.

I can't take credit for that - it's Gareth's joke, I just amped the humour up with some editing.

@Paul - thanks for the frontpage hype.

P.S. don't forget people can suggest ideas to add to the document ( already there is a call to add some new Drives ).

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#43 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:22 PM

Ok, never say never...

The Condensed Rules PDF has had an update on page 17 to make a clarification about Consciousness Tests.

I've decided to give it a version number now, to make identifying the latest version easier. The version is printed on the last internal page on the bottom corner. This latest version is v6.1 ( don't ask ).

Download from the Pelgrane Press ToC Resources Page

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#44 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:34 PM

The Enchiridion of Elucidation

New version 2.2 ( the version number is printed on bottom corner of the last internal page ).

It's had a big facelift.

And new bits added:

1. New Drives
  2. Clarification about Consciousness Tests
  3. NPCs Reneging on Deals

Downloadable from the Pelgrane Press ToC resource page

#45 Laraqua

Laraqua

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:40 AM

Now we just need New Professions!  There's *so* many others that could work.  And yes, assigning abilities isn't too hard but the special occupational perks are a bit trickier.  :)

Check out my blog on horror roleplaying: http://stwildonrolep...g.blogspot.com/

#46 Taavi

Taavi

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationPnakotus, Australia

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:10 AM

It's not very clear to me what parts are "official" Trail of Cthulhu rules/terminology/guidelines and what parts are your own terminology/house rules/etc. THis could be an issue if, for example, it was given to new players as a guide.

"Brainstorming DG/COC things without you would be like trying to hunt badgers with a borzoi." - Panchakahq Avatar from Habitica.com. RPGamify your life today!

#47 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:20 PM

Well, "House Rule" is used to flag a rule change/addition that is not described in the rulebook ( but even the source of some of those is the Pelgrane Press website, usually See Page XX articles ).

Those marked without "House Rule" are not really dealing with rules, more play advice or style which doesn't really fall under 'official' nor 'unofficial'.

The new drives are as official as you deem them to be - they mostly come from Pelgrane Press products or their website or staff.

All the sources for every section are given at the back of the PDF for you to make an informed judgement about how 'valid' you think anything is.

Edited by Tony Williams, 08 May 2016 - 03:26 PM.

#48 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

Tony, the Enchiridion link is broken on Pelgrane's website.

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

Those Within for Call of Cthulhu 7e - coming to a convention near you soon...

@freddiefoulds ; Visit my blog: Arcana Obscura

#49 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:32 PM

Brilliant. Cheers!

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

Those Within for Call of Cthulhu 7e - coming to a convention near you soon...

@freddiefoulds ; Visit my blog: Arcana Obscura

#50 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:03 PM

New version 3.0 available from the link two posts up ( until Pelgrane Press get the website link fixed ).

No actual changes to content; just punctuation tweaks, an extra credit, and reformatted to US Letter size to match other ToC publications.

#51 Heron

Heron

Neophyte

• 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

I downloaded this guide from the link three posts up and also the one that is now on the Pelgrane Press site. And I was wondering what differs between them. Because the file that you link to three posts up is almost double the filesize then the one on the Pelgrane Press site. But they both seem to be the 3.0 version.

Anyway, thanks for this guide Tony. :-)

Edited by Heron, 04 June 2016 - 03:10 PM.

#52 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:30 PM

I think you've probably got v3.1 from my OneDrive there.

It just fixes an issue with the cover blurb and I changed the text "player characters" to "investigators" a bit throughout. Nothing different about actual rules etc.

#53 Heron

Heron

Neophyte

• 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:07 AM

I checked and it was almost a week since I downloaded the file from your link above, and it was marked as the 3.0 version. And its filesize is almost twice as big as the version 3.0 file that Pelgrane Press has (5,6MB vs 3,1MB).

But I downloaded the new 3.1 version from your link and compared all three files, and the only differences I found in the new 3.1 version, is that the "3D-effect" on the bottom text on the front cover is corrected. But the one and only textual difference I found is a small change on page 14, under the headline "Version 1", in the first sentence of the second paragraph, "When that happens roll the die again...". So no "player characters", "investigators" or similar had been changed.

So that made me wonder if there is an even newer version of the file? :-)

#54 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:28 AM

You probably got some working version between versions ( I use my OneDrive to backup the "in progress" beta version ).

I haven't really released v3.1 into the wild yet but when I do it will just be cosmetic tweaks rather than new stuff.

The file size difference may come from me compressing the PDF before I send it to Pelgrane Press for their site. Which I sometimes forget to do.

Edited by Tony Williams, 05 June 2016 - 03:29 AM.

#55 Heron

Heron

Neophyte

• 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:00 AM

Sorry Tony, english is not my first language. So I'm not sure that I understand you correctly.

But as I said earlier, I have just downloaded the file from your link above, and it is marked as a 3.1 version. Have I then understood you correctly that you mean that that file is not the fully updated 3.1 version yet?

And if so, any idea when you will release the final 3.1 version? And will you announce it here in this forum then? :-)

#56 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:44 AM

But as I said earlier, I have just downloaded the file from your link above, and it is marked as a 3.1 version. Have I then understood you correctly that you mean that that file is not the fully updated 3.1 version yet?

You understand correctly.

Yes I will announce the v3.1 release here ( but the changes will be cosmetic, not new rules ).

It will probably be in 7 days or so.

#57 Heron

Heron

Neophyte

• 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:10 AM

Okay, got it. I'll just wait with printing out the guide until then.

Thanks Tony. :-)

#58 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:00 PM

Version 3.1 official release (check document version number on page 36 ):

Mostly just formatting fixes apart from pages 4-5 and 22-23 which get rewrites ( I think I've really nailed down what needs to be said there now regarding clue-giving ). No actual new sections or rules.

Download them from the ToC Resource page at the Pelgrane Press web site.

#59 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:15 PM

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu

Version 6.4 released ( check document version on page 24 ).

Download them from the ToC Resource page at the Pelgrane Press web site.

Changes:

All mention of "Special Benefits" is renamed to just "Benefits".

Extra paragraph added on pg. 23 about Benefits.

The order of Contests ( pg. 9 ) and the order of mass combat ( pg. 11 ) has had a minor rewording/tweaking ( this is the official GUMSHOE rule for all games going forward starting with the upcoming Fear Itself 2nd Edition - it's the same rule as for current edition NBA ).

#60 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:56 PM

Enchiridion of Elucidation

Version 3.2 official release.

Because of comments in this thread: http://www.yog-sotho...d-point-spends/

Pages 2 and 21 have been amended somewhat to explain the subdivision of non-core clues into Zero-Point Clues and Point-Spend Clues after the publication of the main rulebook. Also some blah has been added to try to explain the difference between what they are used for.

Also Zero-Point Clues were being called Zero Spend Clues in previous editions of the Enchiridion ( Zero-Point is the correct GUMSHOE terminology ).

Also any reference to Supplementary Clues has been removed as this is not an "official" GUMSHOE nomenclature and was confusing some readers.

Download from the links in my signature below...

and

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu

Version 6.5 official release.

Because of comments in this thread: http://www.yog-sotho...d-point-spends/

Pages 22 and 24 have been amended somewhat to explain the subdivision of non-core clues into Zero-Point Clues and Point-Spend Clues after the publication of the main rulebook.

Also Zero-Point Clues were being called Zero Spend Clues in previous editions of the Condensed Rules ( Zero-Point is the correct GUMSHOE terminology ).

Also the wording under Benefits on page 23 has been slightly rewritten.

Download from the links in my signature below...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press Release