Photo
- - - - -

ToC Resource PDFs - Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu & Enchiridion of Elucidation

Press Release

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:22 PM

No - this is it for me. I think I'm done with it now.

I've squeezed in everything I think is relevant to Trail from all the other GUMSHOE games into this last version and I'm finally happy with the language and layout.

I was aiming at a minimal level of verbiage but still retaining proper sentence structure so anyone familiar with RPGs could read it and be ready to play ToC.

Initially it was just an exercise for me to get to grips with the ToC rules since I could see by reading the rulebook that, at its heart, it was a very simple game, but unfortunately the rulebook tends to splatter the rules all over the place rather than presenting them in a nice structured orderly fashion. I know there is a balancing act between making the rules clear and not making the book too dry by including theme text but I'm not sure the ToC rulebook managed to navigate that road so successfully.

It's been through several iterations - the first was just a Word doc. Then I wanted to learn PDF layout skills so gave it the look of the official rulebook. After that it got various rules added as I acquired other GUMSHOE products and fixed a few errors or made the language clearer. 

Unless there are any actual errors left in there, I probably won't change it until after any ToC 2nd Edition comes out which might mean a revisit.

If anyone wants to make a "supercondensed" set of rules from them then feel free.

I'm toying with the idea of making my own version of what I think should be on a ToC Keeper screen which might fit the criteria.

Edited by Tony Williams, 13 May 2015 - 09:41 PM.

Do you play Trail of Cthulhu ? You may find these downloads useful...

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#22 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:48 AM

Final Update ( fanfare! ) to the Condensed Rules For Trail of Cthulhu PDF

I had a proofreader go over it and they pulled out a few spelling and clunky language tweaks.

The only changes are fixes to these mistakes, no actual rule additions/changes.

Download from the Pelgrane Press ToC Resource Page

=======

The only official Rulebook rules missing from the Condensed Rules PDF ( due to space and/or I deemed them too fiddly ) are:
1) Some extra tweaks for vehicle pursuit contest rules based on top speeds of the vehicles and terrain ( Rulebook page 183 ).
2) In 2-person Scuffling combat anyone using a Scuffling weapon ( brass knuckles etc. ) is meant to go last in attack order ( Rulebook page 61 - callout box "Blackjacks" ).

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu PDF - the rulebook as slim as it can go.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation PDF - a guidebook for both players and Keepers, with advice on playing the game.

#23 Heron

Heron

Neophyte

• 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:00 AM

I think your ToC Rules Summary is great.  Very useful. Thank you. :-)

But I want to inform you about a little problem in the latest version. On page 10, under “Continuing Challenges”, since you in one of the paragraphs have changed co-operative to cooperative, it has moved everything down one row. Either hiding or removing the last row of the last paragraph.

#24 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 June 2015 - 11:56 AM

Ok - now fixed - redownload from the link two posts up.

Thanks for the checking. Any more problems, do let me know, everyone.

Edited by Tony Williams, 13 June 2015 - 02:19 PM.

#25 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:58 PM

Minor update to page 20 middle column to clarify Sanity loss when shaken or mind blasted by a Mythos horror.

Redownload from link 3 messages above.

#26 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 16 September 2015 - 11:35 AM

Cheers for all the work you've put into this, Tony. A really handy document and beautifully laid out. How did you manage to set it up in the style of Pelgrane's Trail of Cthulhu publications?

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

Those Within for Call of Cthulhu 7e - coming to a convention near you soon...

@freddiefoulds ; Visit my blog: Arcana Obscura

#27 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:41 PM

How did you manage to set it up in the style of Pelgrane's Trail of Cthulhu publications?

Start with a page of the real rulebook and steal from there...

If you load the PDF of the rulebook into LibreOffice Draw you can then hack it around, copy bits you need, delete bits you don't and so on and so on.

I used a combination of LibreOffice Draw and a commercial program called Foxit Advanced PDF Editor to get the PDF to how I wanted it.

I wouldn't have gotten away with it if Pelgrane weren't on board though. I've donated it to them because, basically, it's their game, their layout and their art so I could hardly put it on the internet if they weren't happy.

Edited by Tony Williams, 17 September 2015 - 04:41 AM.

#28 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for this, Tony. I wonder if I can achieve the same things using Photoshop and InDesign - I'm writing up a scenario that Cat has agreed to host on the Trail resources pages and it would be nice to have it fit in with their style. Obviously, I'll have to contact Pelgrane about it.

The Keepers of the Woods for Trail of Cthulhu is available now - download it here.

#29 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:10 AM

I've only ever had access to InDesign once for a few hours, but it looked like overkill for what you might need to do. But if you know your way around it then maybe that will be good for you.

I only needed a graphics package to resize and crop artwork from the rulebook so GIMP was good enough for that. But if you are making your own scenario then I presume you will need more from the graphics package. You can't get more featured than Photoshop.

I'd suggest loading my Condensed Rules into LibreOffice Draw ( the title is misleading - it is more like a page layout programme than a Drawing programme ) and messing around with it in there to get used to everything. It's pretty easy to understand - every item on the page has it's own x,y start position and x,y width, height. Click an item and then right click for properties and you'll see how everything works. Each item also has its own layer depth for moving in front or behind things on the page. That's all there is to it really.

I used the Foxit Advanced PDF Editor programme for editing text in the text boxes as that behaves better in that respect than LibreOffice Draw does when it comes to more than a few words ( i.e. you can control line and paragraph spacing, tabs and indents better in Foxit than LibreOffice Draw ).

#30 FreddieF

FreddieF

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDurham, UK

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I'll have a play around with it this weekend, in between writing up and finishing of the research for this scenario.

#31 bomberclaad

bomberclaad

Neophyte

• 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

Hi Tony! Many thanks for your condensed rules, they are beautifully put together and an invaluable help for starting out with ToC.

I'm toying with the idea of making my own version of what I think should be on a ToC Keeper screen which might fit the criteria.

This sounds very interesting, I'm working on one as well. I followed your instructions regarding the pdf tools but didn't have the fonts, so I extracted them with the mupdf tool. Only problem is some of the fonts can't be imported (on windows 8, says invalid font file). I tried downloading some free versions, but it doesn't look like yours when opening in LibreOffice Draw.

How did you do with the fonts when you started out with the real rulebook?

#32 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:02 AM

To anyone who uses the Condensed Rules please consider filling out this poll thread -> link

#33 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:20 PM

You should check with Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan about adding the Correspondence ability.

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#34 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:08 AM

Pelgrane Press are hosting a booklet of help I've put together to explain "how to play" Trail ( advice for both Keepers and Investigators ).

Stuff like answering common questions, explicit advice on how the GUMSHOE clue-giving process works at the table, some house rules and a bit more.

Most of the stuff is pulled from Pelgrane's Page XX articles, useful posts here on Yoggy and my own musings, but now it can be found all in one place instead of hunting all over the inter-ma-web.

Click here and then look for the Enchiridion of Elucidation link.

Between this and the previous Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu booklet I think they should cover most questions about playing the game.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation can be a living document so if anyone thinks it should cover a particular topic then shout out.

Edited by PoC, 06 July 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#35 ragr

ragr

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:29 AM

Great stuff, Tony. I'll certainly have a mosey when there's a spare moment or two.

#36 Zed Lopez

Zed Lopez

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:00 PM

This looks great, Tony -- thanks!

#37 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:18 PM

@rylehNC - see here

Fantastic, thanks for devoting your time & skill!

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#38 Yrvi

Yrvi

Master

• Patron
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:22 PM

You are just continuing to deliver the goods aren't you Mr Williams. Thanks!

#39 Tony Williams

Tony Williams

Lesser Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:52 PM

I aim to please...

#40 kolgrim

kolgrim

Neophyte

• 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:39 PM

That is a fantastic resource. Thank you. I had a nice chuckle with the example of the Keeper's response to the use of the Craft skill.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press Release