• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#41 ShadowDenizen

ShadowDenizen

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Yes, while I enjoy the offerings of Chaosium, their output for the last few (term used loosely) has been pretty mediocre, (Though I do loves me some "invictus"!!)

Fortunately,(as Cole said) both MRP and Pelgrane have become the spiritual successor of Cthulhu, and contine to produce quality material at a good clip. :8E:

#42 Kallisto73

Kallisto73

Master

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

I would agree. What I also don't get is that many of the old books that people would love to get are not re-released, even if it were as print-your-own PDFs through drivethru or, better still, print-on-demand. I'm looking for Horror on the Orient Express, Alone against the Dark, Alone on Halloween and Alone against the Wendigo. I can find them easily as pirated PDFs on the net and download them. But I'd much rather pay for either a printed book (yes, I love books, and HCs even more) or at least a couple of pounds for a print-your-own PDF to acknowledge the IP involved. But no!

#43 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

There is a book I turned in to them maybe this time last year that isn't on the list either. I'm a little disappointed but that's cool, I am sure eventually it will all sort itself out eventually. There were other projects ahead of mind in the holding pattern, so fair is fair.
Founder of Golden Goblin Press : Golden Goblin Press
Check out my Blog : Oscar Rios - Minion of Cthulhu

#44 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

(...)Chaosium's witlessness has cost them the western CoC series I was working on(...)

I do hope we'll get to see that some day, perhaps through another publisher?

Sorry to rain on everybody's enthusiasim for that new release schedule, but that list needs to be considered with a truckload of salt.(...)

Oh well, the only book on that list that I want is Gaslight 3rd and that does seem to be coming out soonish.

Every year, every new release, this thread appears. One of the main reasons my money and heart are with MRP and Pelgrane. Authors should start looking after those companies for new material so we will all be free from Chaosium's curse once and for all.

Cubicle 7 and Sixtystone Press also deserve mentioning for having interesting Cthulhu products in the pipeline that are likely to actually see the light of day eventually.

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#45 Cole

Cole

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationBucks County, PA

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Cubicle 7 and Sixtystone Press also deserve mentioning for having interesting Cthulhu products in the pipeline that are likely to actually see the light of day eventually.

Cubicle 7's The Laundry stuff has been fantastic!!! Impatiently waiting for Sixtystone to produce KAR's long awaited Colonial Cthulhu stuff and the series of weapons books that Hans has been writing.

It's all good, Chaosium, my money spends just as well with MRP, FFG, AEG, Pelgrane, Cubicle 7, Paizo, and a myriad of indie press guys making great games. This paying consumer has plenty of competition for his gaming purchases, so I lose no sleep as they surrender the field to hungry, dynamic rivals.

Playing/Running: D&D 5e (Curse of Strahd, Reavers of the Harken Wold), Call of Cthulhu (Down Darker Trails), Aces & Eights, Fate (Art Restoration Syndicate)

#46 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Cubicle 7's The Laundry stuff has been fantastic!!!

My only issue with the Laundry RPG is that it's BRP- and not, strictly speaking, CoC-compatible. Though the rules are explained extremely well, I just find there's too much fiddly and time-consuming stuff. If I ever get to run it, I'll probably use something more straight-forward. (It could probably be done using Conspiracy X 2.0) This is merely a matter of personal taste; I have the same problem with the BRP gold book. The Laundry game *is* of excellent quality.

Impatiently waiting for Sixtystone to produce KAR's long awaited Colonial Cthulhu stuff and the series of weapons books that Hans has been writing.

Definitely eagerly awaiting especially the colonial stuff!

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#47 Cole

Cole

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationBucks County, PA

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

My only issue with the Laundry RPG is that it's BRP- and not, strictly speaking, CoC-compatible.

You're right, of course. Some of us have tapped the BGB so much in our CoC games that the line between BRP and CoC is very blurred. From my perspective The Laundry is very much a part of the CoC family. In any case, The Laundry stuff that C7 puts out sates my appetite to the point that I'm not starving for new Chaosium product.

Playing/Running: D&D 5e (Curse of Strahd, Reavers of the Harken Wold), Call of Cthulhu (Down Darker Trails), Aces & Eights, Fate (Art Restoration Syndicate)

#48 David_Conyers

David_Conyers

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

The House of R'lyeh, which incidentally features my last ever Call of Cthulu scenario, was many years in the making. Undead & Unbound was only finished early this year. My scenario "The Jermyn Horror" was originally the introduction to my Congo campaign, that never happened, and yes, before anyone asks, it is extremely deadly. :)

David Conyers | http://www.david-conyers.com.

#49 TheHistorian

TheHistorian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

Then, of course, Pulp Cthulhu and Blackmoore Global Labs ... but, nobody is expecting those to ever come out, right?

Well, Pulp passed the ten year late mark a little while ago, and Blackmoore's previous assigned product code was given to the latest Dreamlands edition. Neither of those is a final nail in the coffin, but it certainly doesn't look good.

#50 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

The House of R'lyeh, which incidentally features my last ever Call of Cthulu scenario...

last ever? oh?

#51 Mograg

Mograg

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:57 AM

I hope that we see many excellent titles from Chaosium, Miskatonic River Press, Sixtystone, Pagan Publishing, Super Genius Games, Cubicle 7, Goodman Games and the other companies in 2012 and forward. Call of Cthulhu is my favorite game, and so it is exciting when companies have plans to expand on the great old game.

Cheers,

- Brian C.

Edited by Mograg, 19 March 2012 - 03:17 AM.

#52 David_Conyers

David_Conyers

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

last ever? oh?

Writing and editing fiction these days, and enjoy that a lot more :)

David Conyers | http://www.david-conyers.com.

#53 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

But... there's already a scenario called The Art of Madness. It's by Terry White, 1987, and is available on this very site - I played it a while back. Good research there, Chaosium.

Umm ... I'm sure that's true, but (by my count anyway) there are now well over 700 professionally-published scenarios for CoC -- not even including obscure pseudo-home-grown things like the Terry White scenarios alluded to here. If people are going to come down hard on companies or authors for "name collisions" like this ... well, we're going to start getting some pretty obscurely named scenarios popping up :-)

Dean (from Adelaide)

#54 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

If people are going to come down hard on companies or authors for "name collisions" like this ... well, we're going to start getting some pretty obscurely named scenarios popping up :-)
Dean (from Adelaide)

I'm not saying they should be hanged or commit sepukku :) But it does seem unnecessary and potentially confusing. Given they renamed the Corbitt scenario as "The Haunting" precisely to avoid confusion, it seems like they do appreciate the awkwardness of two scenarios with the same name. Googling "Cthulhu" and "art of madness" brings up White's scenario immediately, so it's not especially difficult to check; and to be honest I would actually expect a professional publisher to check scenario listings on major fansites like YSDC.

Also, I am totally in favour of obscurely-named scenarios. In fact, obscurely-named things in general.

#55 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

If people are going to come down hard on companies or authors for "name collisions" like this ... well, we're going to start getting some pretty obscurely named scenarios popping up :-)

I suggest we impose a ruling that henceforth any Call of Cthulhu scenario must use the following generator to create its name: http://www.wyrmworld.../lovecraft.html

Seconded?

:)

#56 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Works for me.

The other fun possibility it suggests is a scenario competition - generate a one-page seed to fit a random title.

#57 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationShadowy Scotland

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

I suggest we impose a ruling that henceforth any Call of Cthulhu scenario must use the following generator to create its name: http://www.wyrmworld.../lovecraft.html

Seconded?

:)

With the generator spouting things like "THAT QUIESCENT PUDDING..." who am I to disagree? ;)

#58 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

I'm not saying they should be hanged or commit sepukku :) But it does seem unnecessary and potentially confusing. Given they renamed the Corbitt scenario as "The Haunting" precisely to avoid confusion, it seems like they do appreciate the awkwardness of two scenarios with the same name. Googling "Cthulhu" and "art of madness" brings up White's scenario immediately, so it's not especially difficult to check; and to be honest I would actually expect a professional publisher to check scenario listings on major fansites like YSDC.

Also, I am totally in favour of obscurely-named scenarios. In fact, obscurely-named things in general.

Hmm ... well, I'm all in favour of publishers trying to avoid names being re-used -- I just think that as the number of published scenarios grows, it's inevitable that things will slip through the cracks. Yes, I like the fact that someone at Chaosium decided to rename the Corbitt scenario so that it wouldn't be confusing ... but that's only one of four "near-collisions" that have occurred in published scenarios (the other three are around "The Madman", "Shadow Over Hollywood" and "Murder of Crows").

Face it ... it's gonna happen. Eventually. (though it'd be nice if authors tried to keep thing straight ... and personally, I doubt if it's the kind of thing that professional publishers --Chaosium or anyone else -- would even check).

Dean (from Adelaide ... author of the upcoming "Doom that came to Zarntrhrax'q'rlyeh" :-))

#59 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationShadowy Scotland

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

"Doom that came to Zarntrhrax'q'rlyeh"

:D

Soon to be followed by "Beyond the Mounds of Mania", "Escape from Weymouth", and "The Masks of Narcolepsy", no doubt.

#60 Cthimothy

Cthimothy

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

:D

Soon to be followed by "Beyond the Mounds of Mania", "Escape from Weymouth", and "The Masks of Narcolepsy", no doubt.

Have you ever been to Weymouth? The title is not as far-fetched as you might think :)
Gaunts Gamers
Goin' down to Innsmouth...