• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#21 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

MRP has (i think) the same number of staff and far less of a budget than Chaosium, and they still put out more new content than Chaosium.

On the other hand, maybe the Ol' Wyvern knows more than we do... maybe something has happened to turn it around! :)

(wow. these drugs really work)

#22 sda

sda

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe House of Secrets

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the one obvious thing missing from the "schedule" -- where's CoC 7?
Scott David Aniolowski, Master of the Malleus Monstrorum

#23 Mysterioso

Mysterioso

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

If Chaosium needs money, why doesn't it release all its fiction collections for the Kindle and the Nook? OOP collections go for ridiculous sums in the used book market. E-books would bring in money for them, rather than used book sellers, which could be put towards new projects

Edited by Mysterioso, 17 March 2012 - 05:17 PM.

#24 malcojones

malcojones

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

I can vouch for the fact that House of R'lyeh is in production, and far enough on that it could - in theory - come out before the end of the year.

This is barring delays, and things have gone quiet on that front over the past fortnight.

Cold War Cthulhu went through this exciting stage last year but hasn't reached us yet.

We can only hope.

Best, malcojones

#25 neorxnawang

neorxnawang

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Chaosium simply does not have its act together. Thanks for the kind words about my last book (and I do mean last) for them, Bret. There simply aren't many (any)? full time employees, and its difficult to attract freelancers when they have a nasty habit of not paying, which they've fallen back into at least from my vantage point. I didn't get paid (as in, totally stiffed) on my last (and I do mean last) book for them and every rhetorical device I could think of has failed. They're just totally ignoring me. I have no insight and have given up trying to figure it out. I'm only writing for licensees from now on.

#26 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

Chaosium simply does not have its act together. Thanks for the kind words about my last book (and I do mean last) for them, Bret. There simply aren't many (any)? full time employees, and its difficult to attract freelancers when they have a nasty habit of not paying, which they've fallen back into at least from my vantage point. I didn't get paid (as in, totally stiffed) on my last (and I do mean last) book for them and every rhetorical device I could think of has failed. They're just totally ignoring me. I have no insight and have given up trying to figure it out. I'm only writing for licensees from now on.

To describe this news Jeff, as disappointing, is about as mild a response as I can muster. I am sorry to have to read of this and do hope that it can be rectified to your satisfaction. My disappointment will no doubt remain far from allayed I suspect.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#27 KRoss

KRoss

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

That does indeed suck, Jeff, but if it's any consolation you're not the only one not being paid. Despite months of emails, I got nothin'. Chaosium's witlessness has cost them the western CoC series I was working on, and I too have sworn off writing CoC for them. I'm still assembling the western horror fiction anthology Edge of Sundown for them, with our own Brian Sammons, but that'll be it for me and Chaosium. It's taken me 27 years to finally realize that they're never going to change. They'll keep staggering from mishap to mishap, barely getting by, leaving a trail of screwed freelancers behind them.

Sorry to rain on everybody's enthusiasim for that new release schedule, but that list needs to be considered with a truckload of salt. (I realize I was on the other end of this argument last summer when everybody was taking their licks at Chaosium and -- utter fool that I am -- I was defending them, but damned if you guys weren't right. In my heart, I KNEW you guys were right.)

I wish Chaosium luck (they'll need it), and god speed to anyone doing work for them. But I've finally had enough (and then some).

Kevin Ross
against the wind

#28 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Stiffing someone as talented as Jeff is akin to telling your kidney donor you can get by with just wishes and fairy dust instead.

#29 David_Conyers

David_Conyers

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Here is the low-down on:

Undead & Unbound

Edited by Brian M. Sammons and David Conyers (2012)

Undead: from ancient mummies to shrunken heads and floating vampire heads, from medieval warrior wights to conquistador skeletons and resurrected faeries, the undead haunt in many and unexpected guises.

Unbound: from the jungles of South America to the gold fields of the Wild West, in occupied Europe and along the banks of the Nile, to the ice fields of the North Pole and the wastelands of Mars, nowhere is safe from undead infestation.

Undead & Unbound: A collection of nineteen new horror stories by twenty leading horror authors from across the globe.

“Blind Item” by Cody Goodfellow
“Dead Baby Keychain Blues” by Gary McMahon
“A Personal Apocalypse” by Mercedes M. Yardley
“The Unexpected” by Mark Allan Gunnells
“Incarnate” by David Dunwoody
“Marionettes” by Robert Neilson
“Undead Night of the Undeadest Undead” by C.J. Henderson
“I Am Legion” by Robert M. Price
“When Dark Things Sleep” by Damien Walters Grintalis
“Descanse En Paz” by William Meikle
“Thunder in Old Kilpatrick” by Gustavo Bondoni
“Phallus Incarnate” by Glynn Owen Barrass
“Wreckers” by Tom Lynch
“Scavenger” by Oscar Rios
“In the House of Millions of Years” by John Goodrich
“Romero 2.0” by Brian M. Sammons and David Conyers
“Mother Blood” by Scott David Aniolowski
“The Unforgiving Court” by David Schembri
“North of the Arctic Circle” by Peter Rawlik

Cover illustration by Paul Mudie. Forthcoming from Chaosium Inc.

David Conyers | http://www.david-conyers.com.

#30 David_Conyers

David_Conyers

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Cover art for Undead and Unbound:

Posted Image

#31 David_Conyers

David_Conyers

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

Here is the blurb for:

The House of R'lyeh
1920s Investigations after Lovecraft

Edited by David Conyers and Glyn White

"The Art of Madness" A strange grave robbery and the disappearances of three artists
draw the investigators to a bizarre school in subterranean Boston. (Brian Courtemanche)

"The Crystal of Chaos" A search for a fabulous semi-mythical crystal leads the investigators to a horror heretofore unknown (Peter Gilham with David Conyers)

"The Return of the Hound" The sale of a very rare edition of the Necronomicon draws investigators to Yorkshire following the
murder of the former owner and the suicide of his supposed killer in Amsterdam (Glyn White)

"The Jermyn Horror" A creature of nightmare bound inside a crumbling and abandoned mansion seeks its freedom, and the
investigators might prove to be the perfect vessels to accomplish such ends (David Conyers)

"Nameless City, Nameless Terrors" When an ancient and forgotten city buried in the sands of Arabia is rediscovered,
its unearthed secrets might spell the end of human civilization (Brian M. Sammons)

This will be a full book, with illustrations and maps and nice print production. For scenarios that follow directly on from the events on "Pickman's Model", "The Haunter in the Darkness", "The Hound", "Arthur Jermyn" and "The Nameless City".

#32 Golgothmog

Golgothmog

Master

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Here is the blurb for:

The House of R'lyeh
1920s Investigations after Lovecraft

Edited by David Conyers and Glyn White

Sounds great!
Is 'The Return of the Hound' based on the Lovecraft story 'The Hound'?
The Hound is one of my favorite Lovecraft stories, maybe because it's one of the first I read... also because I love that the protagonists are hedonistic grave-robbers... not your usual bunch of admirable do-gooders. A lot of my CoC games have been inspired by ideas stemming from that story so it's be cool to see more stuff along those lines.

#33 jasonw1239

jasonw1239

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB Canada

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

I am somewhat dismayed that the manuscript that I turned in to Chaosium in January was not even mentioned on the release list.
Apparently Charlie mentioned it at Dundracon and I have been told that editing and art direction will begin in early summer.
I am also not keen on the repeated history of individuals not being paid for their work. :-(
Guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Jason Williams

Author of Secrets of Tibet & scenario author in Tales of the Caribbean from GGP

#34 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

Its a good list and such... I just dont read fiction. I think 90% of my books are reference material. My Library: Pro: Offermanns Encyclopedia of Molecular Pharmacology Cons: The Steampunk Bible (THE biggest waste of money I've ever committed. And I nearly got married.)

#35 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the one obvious thing missing from the "schedule" -- where's CoC 7?

Actually .. the first thing I noticed missing from the list was the " Malleus Monstrorum Companion" :-)

Then, of course, Pulp Cthulhu and Blackmoore Global Labs ... but, nobody is expecting those to ever come out, right?

Dean (from Adelaide)

#36 sda

sda

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe House of Secrets

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

Actually .. the first thing I noticed missing from the list was the " Malleus Monstrorum Companion"

Just finishing up the manuscript, actually. But the artwork takes a long time on these, so I didn't expect to see it until next year, anyway.
Scott David Aniolowski, Master of the Malleus Monstrorum

#37 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

Since Dustin posted the list, it is possible that this is based solely on projects he is working on (though it implies is firm-wide...)

As for folk due payment, I've always found Dustin to be the more reliable of correspondents. Unfortunately he doesn't sign the checks, but at least he'll answer emails (usually).
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#38 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:26 AM

Every year, every new release, this thread appears. One of the main reasons my money and heart are with MRP and Pelgrane. Authors should start looking after those companies for new material so we will all be free from Chaosium's curse once and for all.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu

#39 Shimmin Beg

Shimmin Beg

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

But... there's already a scenario called The Art of Madness. It's by Terry White, 1987, and is available on this very site - I played it a while back. Good research there, Chaosium.

#40 Cole

Cole

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationBucks County, PA

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

Does anyone really look to Chaosium with hopeful anticipation of new releases anymore? My expectations of them are rock-bottom, and occasionally (roughly annually) they produce a new product I like enough to buy. Like Wise Wolf said, there are licensee publishers to satisfy the CoC itch. Not to mention writing our own material.

Beyond that, there are dozens of other RPGs that deserve my time and money.

I simply don't care enough about Chaosium to get angry about their benign neglect.

Playing/Running: D&D 5e (Curse of Strahd, Reavers of the Harken Wold), Call of Cthulhu (Down Darker Trails), Aces & Eights, Fate (Art Restoration Syndicate)