20 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 03:32 PM

One, possibly interesting period (and setting) would be the Pacific between say 1577(Drake sets out) and 1744(Anson Returns).

This was the time when the Pacific Ocean was held to be a Spanish Lake and English Privateers/Bucaneers went forth in search of booty and of course the legendary Acapulco Galleon laden with the Gold & Silver of South America.

A special University of Deleware Exhibition , part of something called "200 Years Before The Mast" lists all the major accounts of the bucaneering circumnavigations.

Many of these expeditions were commercially funded and consisted of only one or two ships, the exception was the last, Ansons in which a six ship RN squadron was dispatched.

A small ship with the players taking the role of 'officers' would be perfect for a single adventure or small campaign.

Two good books on the subject are "The Great South Sea: English Voyages and Encounters 1570-1750" and The Prize of all the Oceans both by Glyn Williams.

The second book, aside from providing a good look at the Royal Navy of the period (nasty, brutish & short) has something that could be the start of a campaign, in 1749 the RN planned to send two sloops into the Pacific on courses that would have lead them very close to Tahiti...

I now throw the floor open to discussion.
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#2 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationSerpent-haunted Ehssi-Keh, beside the Lake of the Mound

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:44 AM

Graham, I'm not sure why no one has responded. Those are GREAT ideas. One could work in characters like Dr. John Dee and Solomon Kane very easily. 8) The whole Elizabethan/Jacobean era is ripe for Lovecraftian exploitation.

#3 Agent_Bluescale

Agent_Bluescale

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

As a fan of Sir Francis Drake, I would gladly play in such a setting. Especially when their ships comes across several islands with ancient runes depicting fish men frolicking in the depths of the ocean.

#4 cpt_machine

cpt_machine

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationDoncaster, UK

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:48 PM

That whole period of naval activities is amazingly intresting so yes there plenty of potential. Yes having the players officers, make sense as the men and officers never intermingled at all and assoicating with the men was heavily frown from above and below. While the officers wined and dinned the men below deck lived on poor rations and rum

Despite that officers lead from the front so when combat was abound as it was the towards the end of an era (miltary wise) where officers lead from the front as you had to prove your bravery to get a promotion as much as knowing people.

Already my mind is thinking of lots of different adventures, I think you could get a mini or full campaign out of it if you wanted.

Master & Commander is an excellent movie that gave me alot of these insights but series like Hornblower also help. Infact theres plenty of media out there about this period.
"I have always been my own teacher, and I must confess I am also my favorite pupil"
-Lestat

Captain Machine's UK Gaming Vlog
www.youtube.com/cptmachine

#5 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

I'd actually forgotten I'd started this thread so you can imagine my surprise when I saw it 'pop up' again.

But absolutely, the possibilities are as endless as the Great South Sea itself.

One idea I'm enamored of is that of a multi-generation campaign.

The first adventure/mini campaign is the buccaneering one, it's results for good or ill form part of the background of the second adventure/mini campaign which takes part in the Gaslight or Classic era.

#6 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:40 AM

Lots of room for pirates outside the Caribbean, too.
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#7 deuce

deuce

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationSerpent-haunted Ehssi-Keh, beside the Lake of the Mound

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:29 AM

Without a doubt. The coasts of Southeast Asia have been plagued by pirates for millenia. Moving a little farther afield, a lot of European pirates relocated to the Indian Ocean from the Atlantic when things got too hot. Rushby's Hunting Pirate Heaven is a damn good read.

#8 ChalkLine

ChalkLine

Master

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:40 PM

Of course, some south pacific islands shouldn't be investigated . . .

#9 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:10 AM

Apologies for the bump after four years, but with Project Gutenberg making Ansons account of his round the world voyage available, I thought it appropriate.

A Voyage Round the World by in the years 1740-44 by George Anson

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47130

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#10 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:21 AM

The following item is from Wikipedia, while the story covered was written and is set after the period covered by this thread (1577-1744), the basic idea of a man condemned to spend the rest of his days on ships, never coming close to land, his contacts monitored and his news censored and whose final resting place is this middle of the Pacific Ocean, is something that screams for use.

https://en.wikipedia...thout_a_Country

#11 Gurubob

Gurubob

Master

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:07 PM

I am interested in encounters with Maoris in New Zealand, head hunters in Papua New Guinea, cannibals in South Sea Islands and witch doctor type characters in general. Also what were the Chinese going in the Pacific at that time, as well as places like Sumatra, Java, Siam and Japan. All of these would provide interesting opportunities to develop scenarios.

#12 Gaffer

Gaffer

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL USA

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:12 PM

in 1749 the RN planned to send two sloops into the Pacific on courses that would have lead them very close to Tahiti...

Two sloops would be a dandy setting for enough red shirts... errr, blue jackets to absorb the damage without the massive crew and firepower of a ship of the line.

A multigenerational campaign could extend up to James Brooke, Rajah of Sarawk.

"Two in the head, you know he's dead." <heh-heh>

#13 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

The following item is from Wikipedia, while the story covered was written and is set after the period covered by this thread (1577-1744), the basic idea of a man condemned to spend the rest of his days on ships, never coming close to land, his contacts monitored and his news censored and whose final resting place is this middle of the Pacific Ocean, is something that screams for use.

https://en.wikipedia...thout_a_Country

Just found this 150th Anniversary lecture on "The Man Without a Country" on youtube:

https://www.youtube....h?v=SQzzjgwabr8

Gaffer: That suggestion about making use of Rajah Brooke sounds like a good one, I think I linked to a few documents on the early days in Sarawak in one of my 'Online Resources' threads.

#14 MrHandy

MrHandy

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

Neal Stephenson's The Confusion has an adventure-filled voyage around the world in the late 17th through early 18th centuries.

Zombie Apocalypse: A Blood Brothers style play-by-post forum-based RPG using CoC rules
Space Oddity: Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes/Call of Cthulhu in 1969 Philadelphia
The Terror Out of Time: Classic Doctor Who meets Call of Cthulhu in 1930 London

#15 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

Forgive the revival of this thread two years after the last post, but an account of a privateering voyage (1708 - 1711) first published in 1712 and republished in 1928 has just become available on Project Gutenberg. This could provide the basis for a 1700s era scenario to be followed by one in the Classic Era.

A Cruising Voyage Around the World by Woodes Rogers (1712, republished 1928)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/55538

Edited by Graham, 14 September 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#16 HJ

HJ

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationMaidenhead, UK

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:10 PM

I came across a little information board on holiday abount conchylomania (a passion for shell collecting) at A La Ronde in Dorset.

Apparently a French expedition sent to map \ explore Australia in the early 1800s, didn't do much mapping because the Captain was very keen on collecting new shells.

he was "more eager to discover a new mollusk than a new land mass" according to the complaint of one of his officers, with much chagrin when they met the British expedition, which had been conducting far more exploration.

#17 JeffErwin

JeffErwin

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMonterey, California

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:22 AM

I'm writing a short story right now combing Drake's expedition with some Mythos elements...

#18 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:33 AM

I'm writing a short story right now combing Drake's expedition with some Mythos elements...

Sounds interesting, I look forward to reading it when it comes out.

#19 ReydeAmarillo

ReydeAmarillo

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationScotland, UK

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

This is a fascinating thread with endless possibilities. To me it feels a bit like it Cthulhu sailing (Star) Trek! Effectively combining my three favourite geeky things.
"To explore strange new islands, new tribes and new Mythos terrors."
Landing parties led by the (so far from authority therefore independent) captain with other officers and (red shirted?) Marines, (Mythos) mysteries, new peoples, science (Royal Society) "officers", ships surgeon etc etc. I am looking for a fresh CoC campaign concept - maybe this is it.

Edited by ReydeAmarillo, 15 September 2017 - 04:44 PM.

#20 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

This is a fascinating thread with endless possibilities. To me it feels a bit like it Cthulhu sailing (Star) Trek! Effectively combining my three favourite geeky things.
"To explore strange new islands, new tribes and new Mythos terrors."
Landing parties led by the (so far from authority therefore independent) captain with other officers and (red shirted?) Marines, (Mythos) mysteries, new peoples, science (Royal Society) "officers", ships surgeon etc etc. I am looking for a fresh CoC campaign concept - maybe this is it.

I admit when I started this Star Trek was the last thing on my mind.