#41 Insanity

Insanity

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:23 AM

Came across this today.
Equipment of a WWII Combat Medic

Has a detail list of the equipment carried, including photographs, as well as the applications and uses for them.

Would be an excellent source for games during WWII or even shortly afterwards.

"When all else fails, give up and go to the library."

#42 DadsAngry

DadsAngry

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:09 AM

TOMES * TOMES * TOMES

Vatican Library Puts 4,000 Ancient Manuscripts Available Online For Free

https://www.vatlib.i...g&res=1920x1080

#43 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:11 AM

A wonderful source of 1920's style house plans.

http://built4ever.deviantart.com/

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#44 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:04 AM

This isn't exactly from 1924, but it's certainly closer to then than it is to us:

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#45 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:02 AM

From Project Gutenberg, the perfect resource for anyone wanting to fake a book printed in America (Up to C. 1894 anyway).

American Book-Plates by Charles Dexter Allen (Illustrated html version is 28mb in size)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47682

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#46 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:52 AM

Article describing a lost 'City Promotional' film from the mid-40's, the film itself is available on Vimeo.

Mysterious Found Footage Offers a Rare Glimpse of 1940s Chicago

At a recent estate sale on the south side of Chicago, Jeff Altman spotted a canister of film simply labeled "Chicago" and "Print 1." That tidbit of information was intriguing enough for Altman to drop $40 on the print.

http://www.citylab.c...ago-color/8676/

#47 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:31 PM

Another useful book for Keepers who wish to make their own tomes

Old English Libraries by Ernest Albert Savage (1911) (Illustrated html version is 11mb in size)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1615

#48 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:32 AM

A book written as a promotion for the company now known as the Ingersoll Watch Company (a subsidiary of the Herald Group...). Not sure how useful this will be, but the illustrations (especially the title page one) could be repurposed.

Time Telling through the Ages by Harry Chase Brearley (1919) (Illustrated html version is 4.7mb in size)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47928

#49 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:28 PM

A 1913 account of a journey around the boders of England and Scotland. As always I recommend downloading the illustrated html version as many could be reused in games.

Highways and Byways in The Border by Andrew Lang and John Lang (1913) (Illustrated html version is 85mb in size)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47800

#50 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:34 PM

A 1913 account of a journey around the boders of England and Scotland. As always I recommend downloading the illustrated html version as many could be reused in games.

It's part of a larger series of "Highways and Byways" books covering many parts of Britain. Some are digitised at the Internet Archive (try searching for highways and byways) but others aren't. All very good books for capturing the places and time.

I have a soft spot for the one you posted about, but then I'm hardly unbiased, given that I'm a Borderer!

Edited by yockenthwaite, 15 January 2015 - 10:35 PM.

#51 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:27 PM

It's part of a larger series of "Highways and Byways" books covering many parts of Britain. Some are digitised at the Internet Archive (try searching for highways and byways) but others aren't. All very good books for capturing the places and time.

Thanks for the tip, here's a 1908 guide to the English southern coastline, the illustrations are minature watercolours.

From the North Foreland to Penzance by Clive Holland (1908) (Illustrated html version is 1.4mb in size)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/48039

#52 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

A 1903 guide to painting horse drawn carts, carriages & wagons.

Practical Carriage and Wagon Painting by Mayton Clarence Hillick (1903) (Illustrated html version is 2.0mb in size)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/48173

#53 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:03 PM

The first volume of poetry by Clark Ashton Smith.....

The Star-Treader and other poems by Clark Ashton Smith  (1912) (Illustrated html version is 97kb in size)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38410

#54 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

A 1937 pulp story that has been turned into a scenario for Gumshoe. Might make for a scenario for the Secrets of New Orleans.

Pledged to the Dead by Seabury Quinn (1937) (Illustrated html version is 232kb in size)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/32514

#55 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:09 AM

Exactly what the title says:

America's Munitions 1917-1918 by Benedict Crowell (Illustrated html version is 12mb in size).

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/48428

Edited by Graham, 09 March 2015 - 02:14 AM.

#56 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • LocationBeyond Time and Space

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:18 AM

Before I do anything else, I want to say how much I'm enjoying this topic!  It's really given me some excellent sources and ideas on things, and for that I wanted to say thank you.

But then, I read this, and it got me to thinking:

Quote:

The Atom, which I ventured (to the disgust of my scientific friends) to make fun of 30 years ago, has now exploded of itself as thoroughly as a German "coal-box"; and the fixed Chemical Elements of older days have of late dissolved into protean vapours and emanations, ions and electrons, impossible to follow through their endless transformations. As to the numerous "Laws of Nature" which in the nineteenth century we were just about to establish for all eternity, it is only with the greatest difficulty that any of these can now be discovered—most of them having got secreted away into the darkness of ancient text-books: where they lead forlorn and sightless existences, like the fish in the caves of Kentucky.

Civilisation: Its Cause and Cure by Edward Carpenter

You know, this raises a very interesting point.  Considering how rapidly things have changed in the world since the 1920s (or worse, the 1890's) it's very difficult for a thoroughly modern player to recapture some of the attitudes of yesteryear.  While that's a good thing when it comes to things like racism and colonialism, it does make it very difficult for players to actually play someone from even those relatively recent times.  Take attitudes towards sex and marriage alone, and you'll see what I mean.  Thinking about things we KNEW were true as could be in the 1970's and now are completely discredited a mere 40 years later sort of brings the issue home.  And if you think about the attitude towards science in the 1890's through just prior to World War I ("it is an unmixed blessing and will solve everything for everyone") and the post Great War attitude that started making scientists more amoral or even evil (to say nothing of how the attitude towards science and scientists in general changed even more for the worse in the 1950's and 60's in the wake of the atom bomb), and you begin to understand just how hard it is for a player to immerse himself in the proper mindset.  What they saw as "normal" we see as either ignorant, or, at best, naive. 

Now compound the problem by trying to think like someone in the Dark Ages or Imperial Rome.  As a historian, I've actually spent some time thinking about this issue, and was forced to reach the conclusion that a medieval monk or a Roman Centurion thrust into the 20th century would undoubtedly either go almost immediately insane or would be convinced he'd died and gone straight to hell or whatever the Roman thought was the equivalent.  Conversely, any modern person sent back in time, even as recently as the 1600's, would almost certainly be burned as a witch. 

In short, one of the biggest problems or issues we confront as Keepers is how to establish atmosphere meaningfully when you can't actually do things the way they were really done in the 1920's.  Women, for example, are a major component of modern roleplaying, but if they were treated in classic era CoC as they really were in the 1920's, the Keeper would probably be found with his throat slit from ear to ear one day.  And who would blame her?

So while this is pretty off-topic (and for that, I apologize to Paul and all of you following this thread), it does seriously give one food for thought.

#57 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

Actually witches are more likely to have been hung, which I guess goes to prove your point.

While a feeling of complete assurance of historical accuracy is impossible, there are places in primary or secondary sources where a sense of what it was like to see or feel the world in that time and place peeks through, like personal letters from Oxyrhynchus or the description of a volcanic island in the Historia Norwegiæ.

Edited by The_Tatterdemalion_King, 09 March 2015 - 05:34 PM.

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#58 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:05 PM

I sometimes use hyperbole to make a point. 

#59 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:42 AM

Getting back on track, what is this 'baseball' of which you speak....?

A 'Bawl' for American Cricket by Jones Wister (Illustrated html version is 1.1mb in size)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/48468

As a side note the first international cricket match was in the 19th C, it was US v Canada, and no I don't know who won.

#60 jlynn

jlynn

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:48 AM

Getting back on track, what is this 'baseball' of which you speak....?

A 'Bawl' for American Cricket by Jones Wister (Illustrated html version is 1.1mb in size)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/48468

As a side note the first international cricket match was in the 19th C, it was US v Canada, and no I don't know who won.

You know, it's a funny thing, but I've never yet met an American who actually understood what Cricket is and how it's properly played, nor have I ever yet met an Englishman who could properly grasp the nuances of Baseball.  It's almost like learning one fully occupies the portion of the brain that could potentially learn the other!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modern, Resource