319 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

A while ago I started a pair of threads providing links to online material at Project Gutenberg that might be of interest to Keepers and Players alike. The original Project Gutenberg thread has reached its maximum possible size and can now be considered an archive.

This thread is it's replacement.

Original Threads

1. Useful books on Project Gutenberg & other online sources

2. Project Gutenberg Resources for Gaslight

3. Background resouces at Project Guttenberg

Online Resources List

1. Naval History and Heritage Command "S" Series Numbers. A collection of US Navy plans, many unbuilt that could be used in adventures, for example this floating airship hangar (Link) could make an interesting addition to Walker in the Wastes. Some pictures can only be accessed by directly typing the file number into the url bar (eg. 511xxx.jpg or 584xxx.jpg).

2. Contemporary One-Act Plays by Benjamin Roland Lewis et al.

3. The Harlot's Progress, The Rake's Progress by Anonymous, Cibber, and Klinger

4. Down Under With the Prince by Sara Jeannette Duncan (Illustrated html version is 2.5mb in size). An account of an early 1920's tour of Australia by the then Prince of Wales (Later Duke of Windsor).

5. Rambles in Dickens' Land by Robert Allbut (Illustrated html version is 1.6mb in size). Period tourist guide to locations associated with Charles Dickens.

6. Nooks and Corners of the New England Coast by Samuel Adams Drake (Illustrated html version is 11mb in size).

7. Astronomical Curiosities by J. Ellard Gore

8. Mysterious Psychic Forces by Camille Flammarion

9. Mount Everest the Reconnaissance, 1921 by Howard-Bury, Leigh-Mallory, and Wollaston (Illustrated html version is 7.5mb)

10. The Leopard Woman by Stewart Edward White (Illustrated html version is 1.1mb)

11. Strange New Gospels by Edgar J. Goodspeed

12. Forbidden books of the original New Testament by William Wake

13. Twilit Grotto: Archives of Western Esoterica

14. The Decadent by Ralph Adams Cram

15. The Illustrated Key to the Tarot by L. W. de Laurence (Illustrated html version is 4.4mb)

16. The Great Frozen Sea by Albert Hastings Markham (Illustrated html version is 3.9mb) Account of a British expedition to the Arctic in the mid 1870s.

17. Castles and Chateaux of Old Navarre and the Basque Provinces by M. F. Mansfield (Illustrated html version is 31mb)

18. Curious Epitaphs: Collected from the Graveyards of Great Britain and Ireland by William Andrews (Illustrated html version is 947kb)

19. Irish Witchcraft and Demonology by St. John D. Seymour

"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#2 LoneKharnivore

LoneKharnivore

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

A collection of US Navy plans, many unbuilt that could be used in adventures...

As in, "Tell me, have you seen the Yellow Submarine?"
[RAG | YMMV]

You, too, will come to understand fear as I have.

#3 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

I've added some new links all to material at Project Gutenberg firstly, two collections of old plays. Keepers could use them as the basis for blasphemous works.

Secondly to an early 1920s account of a Royal Tour of Australia and environs, along with several other period tourist guides, finally a early 1900's book on Astronomy, again something that could be useful for Keepers looking for texts to corrupt....;)
"If you do good, you'll live forever, if you do bad you'll die hearing a single note for I am the one true sound...", Fragment found in a cult hideout.

#4 Colin

Colin

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

An excellent site for period photos of soldiers suitable for character portraits, as well as an interesting browse in and of itself: Soldiers of the Queen. For example:
Posted Image
© 2012 Edward T. Garcia

cheers!
Colin

#5 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

An excellent site for period photos of soldiers suitable for character portraits, as well as an interesting browse in and of itself: Soldiers of the Queen. For example:

cheers!
Colin

Thanks,

Just added, the account of the first British attempt on Mt Everest.

#6 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

Added, a 1916 pulp fiction novel whose illustrations (see below) could be very useful for Keepers. The plotline includes a German scientist looking for dinosaurs in Africa.

Posted Image

#7 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Stumbled across an interesting online reprint of a 1931 book covering various fake gospels, including the suggestively titled 'Archko Volume'.

For comments on the latter by a writier HPL admired, just click on the link below:

A Mares Nest From Missouri by M. R. James

#8 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

Latest addion. A Hasturian text.

#9 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

I'm not sure why the board is not allowing me to edit the OP to add this link, but anyway here is the latest gleanings from Project Gutenberg.

Old Time Wall Papers by Kate Sanborn (Illustrated html version is 8.3mb in size)

Being a collection of old wall paper designs published around 1905.

#10 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

Just in time for Christmas...

MERCK'S 1899 MANUAL OF THE MATERIA MEDICA

Together with a Summary of Therapeutic Indications and a Classification of Medicaments

A READY-REFERENCE POCKET BOOK FOR THE

Practicing Physician

CONTAINING

Names and Chief Synonyms, Physical Form and Appearance, Solubilities,
Percentage Strengths and Physiological Effects, Therapeutic
Uses, Modes of Administration and Application,
Regular and Maximum Dosage, Incompatibles,
Antidotes, Precautionary Requirements,
etc., etc.,—of the

CHEMICALS AND DRUGS USUAL IN MODERN MEDICAL PRACTICE

Compiled from the Most Recent Authoritative Sources and Published by

MERCK & CO., NEW YORK

Copyright by Merck & Co., New York, 1899

Merck's 1899 Manual by Merck & Co.

#11 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:16 AM

A poem & a possible Dreamlands location or other dark place...

Although lamps burn along the silent streets,
Even when moonlight silvers empty squares
The dark holds countless lanes and close retreats;
But when the night its sphereless mantle wears
The open spaces yawn with gloom abysmal,
The sombre mansions loom immense and dismal,
The lanes are black as subterranean lairs.

THE CITY OF DREADFUL NIGHT By James Thomson

#12 alexnevsky

alexnevsky

Neophyte

• 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

Found a book of photos on Archive.org showing London in the 1920s. Some really nice shots:
http://archive.org/d...ondon00homerich

Might be useful for the scenarios set there.

#13 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

Everything you wanted to know about Hyperborea but were afraid to ask...

Nothing in this article is to be considered as an attempt to advance any theory in opposition to accepted history. It is simply a fictional background for a series of fiction-stories. When I began writing the Conan stories a few years ago, I prepared this 'history' of his age and the peoples of that age, in order to lend him and his sagas a greater aspect of realness. And I found that by adhering to the 'facts' and spirit of that history, in writing the stories, it was easier to visualize (and therefore to present) him as a real flesh-and-blood character rather than a ready-made product. In writing about him and his adventures in the various kingdoms of his Age, I have never violated the 'facts' or spirit of the 'history' here set down, but have followed the lines of that history as closely as the writer of actual historical-fiction follows the lines of actual history. I have used this 'history' as a guide in all the stories in this series that I have written.

Robert E. Howard, 1936

The Hyborian Age by Robert E. Howard

#14 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

The following link is to a website that is compiling the various recipes and menus from old cookbooks into online form. A perfect resource for Keepers looking to find out just what might be served in that backwoods hotel...

http://www.vintagerecipes.net/

#15 Insanity

Insanity

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

Hope you don't mind me adding a link, was looking for 19th century cigar companies for a name on the box in The Edge of Darkness and found this.

http://cigarhistory...._1878-1915.html

"When all else fails, give up and go to the library."

#16 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

Hope you don't mind me adding a link, was looking for 19th century cigar companies for a name on the box in The Edge of Darkness and found this.

<Snip Link>

No problems. Just going to add a link to a book on how to use ordinary playing cards to tell fortunes.

Telling Fortunes by Cards, by Mohammed Ali (Probably an Alias...)

http://www.gutenberg...8-h/42008-h.htm

#17 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Everything you'd want to know about the bits they left out of the New Testament....

Forbidden Gospels and Epistles, By Archbisop Wake

http://www.gutenberg...16-h/6516-h.htm

#18 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

The full guide to amateur radio circa 1922.

The Radio Amateur's Hand Book by Frederick Collins

http://www.gutenberg...34-h/6934-h.htm

#19 Insanity

Insanity

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

Came across a decent site providing some information on dictating machines, from around the late 1890s into the 1930s.

http://www.officemus...ng_machines.htm

"When all else fails, give up and go to the library."

#20 Graham

Graham

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

The 1868 Catalogue of Messrs Blackwood and Sons' Publications by Various

http://www.gutenberg...8-h/42468-h.htm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modern, Resource