• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#21 Black-Seal-Editor

Black-Seal-Editor

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

I really am looking forward to anything from Sixtystone Press. But with the French weapons manual from Editions Sans-Detour and the German Waffen Handbush from Pegasus Spiele, won't we end up with 3 different stats for the same weapon models/types?

I think you are worrying over small details. The English-speaking audience to a very large degree don't read German or French, and I think Hans wrote the German book anyway. Your problem is primarily for English-reading French and German players and they are already addressed by their native publishers.
Adam Crossingham
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief
Sixtystone Press Limited

#22 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

I really am looking forward to anything from Sixtystone Press. But with the French weapons manual from Editions Sans-Detour and the German Waffen Handbush from Pegasus Spiele, won't we end up with 3 different stats for the same weapon models/types?

Only if you are trilingual. Which would be impressive for all concerned.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#23 HANS

HANS

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

I think you are worrying over small details. The English-speaking audience to a very large degree don't read German or French, and I think Hans wrote the German book anyway.

1. Adam is right. I wrote the German CTHULHU WAFFEN-HANDBUCH, so there's a great amount of continuitiy between these products -- although this doesn't mean all the stats are identical (and all the text is completely new; I didn't simply translate it). In the years since the German book's publication, I've interviewed dozens of shooters of all descriptions (target shooters, soldiers, police officers, SWAT officers, Federal agents, etc, from four continents and dozens of countries and several generations), read hundreds (!) of new books, and shot many thousands of rounds myself, all of which helped to make a better book.
2. While there are differences in stats, they aren't substantial. Most are explained in the text or are so minor you won't even notice them.
3. We already have several sets of different stats, between the different editions of the basic rules, works like FATAL EXPERIMENTS or the 1990s HANDBOOK, and the non-Chaosium material such as DELTA GREEN. In fact, one of my aims with these new books is to provide a coherent set of stats that takes all the previous material into account and streamlines or corrects them where necessary, but otherwise leaves them untouched. Despite some of the obvious problems of the basic rules, I've made sure that my books are fully compatible, and most of my new rules are completely optional.
4. Finally, the INVESTIGATOR WEAPONS books are not, actually, all that much about game stats, but rather about use and users. Yes, I list the stats, cause you need them for play, and yes, I have tinkered with some of them. However, most of the text deals with questions like: Where would I find this weapon? What can I do with it? What does it cost, both retail and on the black market? Do I need a permit and what happens if I don't have one? What can I do in the way of accessories or special ammunition? Which kind of character might own one of these? How do you actually load or unjam it (I describe this step by step, almost like a manual)? How much time does this require both actually and in combat rounds? Etc, etc. No CALL OF CTHULHU book has ever lavished much attention on these details, many of which being actually more important to an investigator in his actual, day-to-day life than knowing whether the thing will do enough damage to a Shoggoth.

Cheers

HANS

#24 submitswfa

submitswfa

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:20 PM

one of my aims with these new books is to provide a coherent set of stats that takes all the previous material into account and streamlines or corrects them where necessary, but otherwise leaves them untouched.

Wow! That's way more than I could expect. I can't wait for these supplements now!

#25 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

(...)Oh and IW 3? That's going to be Gaslight - British Empire and Old West orientated. Other than that I will say no more.

Not so interested in modern era weaponry personally, but the other two books definitely have my interest. Will Colonial Call of Cthulhu include plenty of colonial era weaponry or might that also get a separate weapons supplement later on?

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#26 Cole

Cole

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationBucks County, PA

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

Very much looking forward to this.

Playing/Running: D&D 5e (Curse of Strahd, Reavers of the Harken Wold), Call of Cthulhu (Down Darker Trails), Aces & Eights, Fate (Art Restoration Syndicate)

#27 CAThompson

CAThompson

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • LocationChengdu, China

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

This is pretty cool.

Question, is this related to the old Pagan weapons book? I've heard of but never seen it.

#28 Black-Seal-Editor

Black-Seal-Editor

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

Question, is this related to the old Pagan weapons book? I've heard of but never seen it.

Hans has seen the Pagan book and its in the bibliography, but this book is completely unrelated other than subject matter. It's all new, based on author experience.
Adam Crossingham
Sixtystone Press Limited

#29 Max_Writer

Max_Writer

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

Here's another question - hope I didn't already miss it. Will this be heavily illustrated? I'd love to see pics of all of the weapons as well as their stats.

#30 Black-Seal-Editor

Black-Seal-Editor

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

Here's another question - hope I didn't already miss it. Will this be heavily illustrated? I'd love to see pics of all of the weapons as well as their stats.

There is at least one illustration of weapon per entry, plus the book is profusely illustrated with period photographs.
Adam Crossingham
Sixtystone Press Limited

#31 Max_Writer

Max_Writer

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

There is at least one illustration of weapon per entry, plus the book is profusely illustrated with period photographs.

You have got to post here the minute this is available and a link to order it. You've got yourself a sale sir.

And a review.

#32 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationShadowy Scotland

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

I'm with Max. I'll definitely be picking one of these books up (or two as it were) when it/they come out. This is looking brilliant.

Any other tasty factoids you could share? ;)

#33 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

Sold.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu

#34 Black-Seal-Editor

Black-Seal-Editor

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

Any other tasty factoids you could share? ;)

OK, pouring oil on water....
Investigator_Weapons_Luger_Example.jpg
Adam Crossingham
Sixtystone Press Limited

#35 Max_Writer

Max_Writer

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

WANT! WANTWANTWANTWANTWANT!!!!

I guess what I'm really trying to say is I will be purchasing these books.

#36 CsabTheHun

CsabTheHun

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

Hmm... I don't play in the 1920s and I still want this book.

Actually I just visited Sixtystone Press's website and I'm already sold on every single book up there.

#37 Noble

Noble

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

Kerching! I'll be needing them, then.
The static in my mind, leaves me hollow and unkind.

#38 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

Sold! Hurry it up already! ;)

-=badger
Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#39 ErikB

ErikB

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

I'd like to remind people that thanks to the wonders of the internet, we can all see the weapons referenced firing live ammunition:-

You can take my Tommy Gun from my cold dead hands

#40 Max_Writer

Max_Writer

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Any chance of a deal that would include buying the books and getting pdfs of the material for free?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Publisher