• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

Over on the DG yahoo list Hans-Christian Vortisch has mentioned that the first volume, for classic era weaponry, has been written, and a modern sourcebook is to follow. Anyone who has seen his work for GURPS and DG understands the cupidity I am feeling.

Is there any word on a release date?

Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#2 Noble

Noble

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:26 PM

Not what you're after, but if you can't wait for a modern version of a weapons listing try The Company if you want to know the rules for a HALO drop, or give your agents a pistol through to a ICBM, this is the book for you. Gun-Bunny's Ahoy!
The static in my mind, leaves me hollow and unkind.

#3 Gil_Trevizo

Gil_Trevizo

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

Anyone who has seen his work for GURPS and DG understands the cupidity I am feeling.

I can happily say that you are right to feel such cupidity. Based on what I read in the rough drafts, the first volume is an incredible piece of work. It has massive amounts of useful information, answering a lot of questions that, in my experience (and I suspect with others as well, based on firearms-related discussions here), aren't fulfilled, not just by game books but by Internet research or even non-gaming books on firearms (at least not all but the really obscure ones). There is also a lot of work on combat rules (I really like how Hans handles suppressive fire). And the book is more than a resource for gunfondlers in that it gives Keepers a lot of information for them to realistically complicate their investigators easily acquiring, possessing, transporting, and lawfully using firearms. So there's a lot there for everyone, and it's not just a "list o' guns" book. I really feel it's going to be up there with must-buy supplements for Keepers like Dan Harms' The Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopedia, The 1920s Investigator Handbook, and the big yellow BRP book. I'm not as versed on the second volume, but I'd suspect that based on the quality of the first, it's also something special.

I don't know anything about release dates, but Sixtystone needs to get this one out ASAP. And Dan Harm's Yig book as well. And the Colonial Cthulhu books. And I want a pony. Where's my pony, dammit!

#4 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:55 AM

One of the things I have always enjoyed about Hans' work is that he will note the guns used in TV shows and movies.
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#5 Gil_Trevizo

Gil_Trevizo

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:01 AM

One of the things I have always enjoyed about Hans' work is that he will note the guns used in TV shows and movies.

The Internet Movie Firearms Database is also pretty good for that. I've had quite some success also using that site to create PC and NPC images for character sheets and photo stands.

#6 HANS

HANS

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:02 PM

Over on the DG yahoo list Hans-Christian Vortisch has mentioned that the first volume, for classic era weaponry, has been written, and a modern sourcebook is to follow. Anyone who has seen his work for GURPS and DG understands the cupidity I am feeling.

Good to hear!

Is there any word on a release date?

INVESTIGATOR WEAPONS, the first volume for the classic era, is still in layout. Chris Huth is doing an absolutely awesome job. The basic layout is done, though, and I have seen a first version of the cover. It shouldn't be too long now . . .

Cheers

HANS

#7 HANS

HANS

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:07 PM

I love movies -- but primarily I do that because it can serve both as inspiration for what a character might be armed with and as illustration for how that looks, works, and sounds -- within reason, of course, as even the most realistic films and shows usually cannot really convey how damn loud the things are, how they shoot, and what happens if they hit. Still, a well-done film scene can show you more than you can describe in a few paragraphs.

Cheers

HANS

#8 HANS

HANS

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

The Internet Movie Firearms Database is also pretty good for that. I've had quite some success also using that site to create PC and NPC images for character sheets and photo stands.

It is cool because of the screencaps and also some of the user-generated photographs, but their identification is less than error-free -- and don't get me started on their editorialization. It generally pays to watch the film in question yourself, if you're curious about the gun-useage in it.

Cheers

HANS

#9 HANS

HANS

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:16 PM

So there's a lot there for everyone, and it's not just a "list o' guns" book. I really feel it's going to be up there with must-buy supplements for Keepers . . .

Thanks! I hope so too. Note, however, that I specifially wrote the book in such a way that both players and Keepers can enjoy it (all the Mythos-related info is in an appendix, which the Keeper can easily withhold from the players). In fact, I heartily encourage players to read it. I put a lot of info in there specifically for the benefit of the investigators, such as how you actually operate specific guns, how you carry ammo, etc.

A pony, he wants. Tsk, tsk.

Cheers

HANS

#10 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:45 PM

I can happily say that you are right to feel such cupidity. Based on what I read in the rough drafts, the first volume is an incredible piece of work. It has massive amounts of useful information, answering a lot of questions that, in my experience (and I suspect with others as well, based on firearms-related discussions here), aren't fulfilled, not just by game books but by Internet research or even non-gaming books on firearms (at least not all but the really obscure ones). There is also a lot of work on combat rules (I really like how Hans handles suppressive fire). And the book is more than a resource for gunfondlers in that it gives Keepers a lot of information for them to realistically complicate their investigators easily acquiring, possessing, transporting, and lawfully using firearms. So there's a lot there for everyone, and it's not just a "list o' guns" book. I really feel it's going to be up there with must-buy supplements for Keepers like Dan Harms' The Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopedia, The 1920s Investigator Handbook, and the big yellow BRP book. I'm not as versed on the second volume, but I'd suspect that based on the quality of the first, it's also something special.

I don't know anything about release dates, but Sixtystone needs to get this one out ASAP. And Dan Harm's Yig book as well. And the Colonial Cthulhu books. And I want a pony. Where's my pony, dammit!

Agreed, but then Gil and I have been fortunate to see the drafts as Hans has been doing them. In return, Hans has been inordinately patient and understanding with us as we have raised queries and made suggestions. Given what we have seen to date of both books, I think that this resource will prove itself to be a necessity for most Keepers,and a useful book for many players too.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#11 Black-Seal-Editor

Black-Seal-Editor

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:07 AM

And just to whet your appetites here's the cover.
We hope to hope to have this on PDF sale by the end of the year. With print publication to follow in 2012.
IW_cover_draft5.jpg

The cover is by the excellent Chris Huth, otherwise known as the Tatterdemalion King.

All I can say is that Hans delivered more than I asked for in a best of breed RPG weapons books. I think IW 1, 2 and 3 will become the benchmark.

Oh and IW 3? That's going to be Gaslight - British Empire and Old West orientated. Other than that I will say no more.

Edited by Black-Seal-Editor, 14 December 2011 - 12:16 AM.

Adam Crossingham
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief
Sixtystone Press Limited

#12 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:01 AM

Fantastic!

-Ibn Schacabao

#13 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:56 AM

Oh and IW 3? That's going to be Gaslight - British Empire and Old West orientated. Other than that I will say no more.

Am I the only person who was hoping Volume 3 would cover Future weapons? I'm very curious to hear Hans evaluation of phased plasma weapons operating in the 20 megawatt range... ;)
My blogs - Tomes in Progress (personal); Sentinel Hill Press (The Arkham Gazette and more)
Sentinel Hill Press on G+; Facebook; Twitter; Patreon

#14 HANS

HANS

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:11 AM

Am I the only person who was hoping Volume 3 would cover Future weapons? I'm very curious to hear Hans evaluation of phased plasma weapons operating in the 20 megawatt range... ;)

I like to try out the things first -- that's going to be difficult with future gear ;)

Also, are there any credible settings for futuristic CALL OF CTHULHU games? I must have missed them, if. Anyway, we'll deal with the three popular settings first. If there's any interest left after that, I think I would rather like to do a WWII volume (I just love all those SOE/OSS/RĂ©sistance histories, and think many interesting topics could be covered there). But that's all, ahem, in the future. Let's concentrate on the projects at hand ;)

Cheers

HANS

#15 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

If there's any interest left after that, I think I would rather like to do a WWII volume (I just love all those SOE/OSS/RĂ©sistance histories, and think many interesting topics could be covered there).

There's always the Cold War, too.

-Ibn Schacabao

#16 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

Much of the Cold War would be covered by the second book.

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#17 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

Much of the Cold War would be covered by the second book.

Blast your subjunctive case! There's two decades of modern weaponry between then and now, and another 45 years more back to the start of the Cold War. Depending on the depth Hans chooses to plumb - and he writes arms supplements like he owns the Glomar Challenger - he could fill as many pages as he wants to fill.

-Ibn Schacabao

#18 Max_Writer

Max_Writer

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

Will links be posted here when these become available for purchase?

#19 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

And don't forget Dark Ages!

<_<

>_>

What?

;)

-=b
Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#20 submitswfa

submitswfa

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:11 AM

I really am looking forward to anything from Sixtystone Press. But with the French weapons manual from Editions Sans-Detour and the German Waffen Handbush from Pegasus Spiele, won't we end up with 3 different stats for the same weapon models/types?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Publisher