123 replies to this topic

#1 G.Roby

G.Roby

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm just wondering if (and when) there will be a 2nd Edition of the ToC Hardcover.

If not: any Ideas what should be added to the rulebook?

#2 PelgranePress

PelgranePress

Pelgrane Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

There will be at some time. I know we'll be doing some reorganisation and adding more GUMSHOE advice, plus adding a new adventure. I certainly interested in reading what others think.
Simon Rogers
Pelgrane Press Ltd

#3 G.Roby

G.Roby

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:05 AM

but nothing planned for 2011/2012 .. so ideas are welcome?

#4 AndrewTBP

AndrewTBP

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

It would be nice to have:
1. the "new rules" from the various supplements rolled into a 2nd edition
2. all text and examples given a thorough editing

#5 OlderNick

OlderNick

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

3. The rules written from the perspective of either Pulp or Purist with the other mode as an "option", instead of the current sort of middle ground that will rarely see actual use.
4. Clearer sanity rules, though I believe the above will solve this.

The Shadow over Dewsbury

#6 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

Simon has talked, in Page XX, about Esoterrorists 2.0 for which you can get a sneaky peek if you sign up for one of the playtests (I'm not sure if they're still open). I think this collects together some of the distributed GUMSHOE wisdom.

In ToC2, I'd like to see the magic system included in the main rules and more GM advice about how GUMSHOE works, including different ways of running it. In fact, I could see a GM supplement being a useful addition to the range.
Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#7 Karloff

Karloff

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

In ToC2, I'd like to see the magic system included in the main rules and more GM advice about how GUMSHOE works, including different ways of running it. In fact, I could see a GM supplement being a useful addition to the range.

You haven't got this, then? I find it handy.
Ephemera: where I talk about books and games.

#8 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

I'm in it (Prof Dempsey). But there are more things that have been written since then, including you examples and mine of scenario writing.

#9 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

I will like a separate Chapter for rules for Pulp and rules for Purist modes. The way it is now, is confusing sometimes.

Also, improved combat rules.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu

#10 Krypter

Krypter

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

Integrated magic rules, definitely, plus a better explanation of combat. Add all the new skills and rules found in supplements (eg, megalopolisomancy, The Knowledge, etc.).

Also, a pet peeve of mine is the incredibly loose leading of the stat blocks. Could you tighten those up so the lines are closer? It would save oodles of space. Thanks.

#11 AndrewTBP

AndrewTBP

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

I've just found the Trail of Cthulhu errata thread on the old Pelgrane Press Forum, so that partially obviates my next suggestion. ;)
http://www.dyingeart...sp?TOPIC_ID=412
The errata should be collected and made available for download on the Trail of Cthulhu resources page.

Edited by AndrewTBP, 16 November 2011 - 09:46 PM.
Old Forum

#12 Eynowd

Eynowd

Master

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:26 AM

including you examples and mine of scenario writing.

Are these things online? If so, any chance of getting links to them please?

#13 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:18 AM

Follow the link in Karloff's sig to his great blog. Mine are buried somewhere in LJ.

#14 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

Integrated magic rules, definitely, plus a better explanation of combat. Add all the new skills and rules found in supplements (eg, megalopolisomancy, The Knowledge, etc.).

There's a risk of bloat when stuff like that is pulled in sans context... cf. the CoC 6th ed spell list. If they can be tied to the campaign frames, though, great. (Ex. some of the crunchier combat rules in the Project Covenant section). In a similar vein, expanded guidelines or worked examples for adjusting rules for specific campaign frames would be nice.

Hell, I'd say you'd want either an appendix or at least one campaign frame that's nominally set in the modern day, just to say up front how little needs to be changed to run said campaign.

Also, a pet peeve of mine is the incredibly loose leading of the stat blocks. Could you tighten those up so the lines are closer? It would save oodles of space. Thanks.

Statblock designs are a whole barrel of wormy... monkeys...
Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#15 Blackburn

Blackburn

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Wouldn't Esoterrorists and Fear Itself count as modern campaign frames? Adding a modern one into Trail would just end up competing against those.

#16 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

Wouldn't Esoterrorists and Fear Itself count as modern campaign frames? Adding a modern one into Trail would just end up competing against those.

Two pages for a campaign frame in the ToC core book to sell you on buying Esoterrorists sourcebooks... ; )

Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#17 Blackburn

Blackburn

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

I have to admit that I don't think it follows that easily. It was easier to justify getting Bookhounds, since it built directly off Trail, whereas Esoterrorists means you're buying a lot of the same basic materials all over. I think that a direction to check out Esoterrorists for a modern setting would cover the same idea without causing any issues about competing.

#18 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

I have to admit that I don't think it follows that easily. It was easier to justify getting Bookhounds, since it built directly off Trail, whereas Esoterrorists means you're buying a lot of the same basic materials all over. I think that a direction to check out Esoterrorists for a modern setting would cover the same idea without causing any issues about competing.

A sample modern campaign doesn't have to be secret agents versus the Mythos, though.

#19 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

No, it could even be police v Mythos.

#20 Justin F

Justin F

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

Or internet conspiracy nuts vs the mythos?
Frankly, no one should be walking away from the smoking end of an elephant gun. ...Except maybe a really hard elephant.
The Old Ones