• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#41 CynthiaCM

CynthiaCM

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

Brilliant news! Looking forward to picking this up.

Many thanks, Stuart. :)

Any chance a few copies will be available through Innsmouth House?

I just sent the folks at Innsmouth House a message. Hopefully, it will result in Macabre Tales being sold there.

#42 Pookie

Pookie

Greater Servitor

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

Many thanks, Stuart. :)

I just sent the folks at Innsmouth House a message. Hopefully, it will result in Macabre Tales being sold there.

If that comes to pass I am definitely more likely to get to review it a whole lot quicker!

Pookie -- Editor & Reviewer; Editor for Sixtystone Press

See http://rlyehreviews.blogspot.com/ for reviews
"Home again, home again, Yiggety Yig... Goo-ood evening, Quetzalcoatl."

#43 CynthiaCM

CynthiaCM

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

I heard back from Paul, who said that they are currently changing their shopping software and, as such, aren't accepting new third-party items yet. However, he seemed pretty positive about allowing Macabre Tales to be sold there after the dust clears. So, hopefully, Macabre Tales will eventually be sold at Innsmouth House so that it can help keep Yog-Sothoth.com up and running. :)

#44 BrianL

BrianL

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

I'd also be pretty keen to pick up a copy of the hardcover edition if Innsmouth House could get some stock in (hint, hint...). The game mechanic sounds intriguing.
Omnia exeunt in mysterium. | G+

#45 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationShadowy Scotland

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

I heard back from Paul, who said that they are currently changing their shopping software and, as such, aren't accepting new third-party items yet. However, he seemed pretty positive about allowing Macabre Tales to be sold there after the dust clears. So, hopefully, Macabre Tales will eventually be sold at Innsmouth House so that it can help keep Yog-Sothoth.com up and running. :)

Good news then! :)

I'll look forward to hearing more about this in the days and weeks to come, and getting a copy myself via IH. Cheers!

#46 CynthiaCM

CynthiaCM

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

The first review of Macabre Tales, has emerged from the shadows today. The review is written by Royce Thigpen and it is very positive. Check it out!

#47 JudoMonk

JudoMonk

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

The first review of Macabre Tales, has emerged from the shadows today. The review is written by Royce Thigpen and it is very positive. Check it out!

I read the review and you are correct...it is great! Now, when are those printed books coming out? Been checking DriveThruRPG twice a day and no luck yet

#48 CynthiaCM

CynthiaCM

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:43 PM

The files have been uploaded to DriveThruRPG so that their print company (Lightning Source) can make the final approvals. According to the website this takes between 3 and 5 days, so let's hope for the best. Once it's approved, I have to order a copy to make sure it's market-ready, as I don't want anyone stuck with a flawed product. As soon as I see it and can safely say that it's worth owning, I'll go to the DrivethruRPG site and push the button to make it available commercially. :)

#49 JudoMonk

JudoMonk

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

The files have been uploaded to DriveThruRPG so that their print company (Lightning Source) can make the final approvals. According to the website this takes between 3 and 5 days, so let's hope for the best. Once it's approved, I have to order a copy to make sure it's market-ready, as I don't want anyone stuck with a flawed product. As soon as I see it and can safely say that it's worth owning, I'll go to the DrivethruRPG site and push the button to make it available commercially. :)

Thanks for the update. Maybe it will be ready, printed version, for the holidays.

#50 CynthiaCM

CynthiaCM

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:57 AM

I'm certain it will be released well before the holiday buying season is over. In fact, it will assuredly be released within 2 weeks.

#51 CynthiaCM

CynthiaCM

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:02 AM

By the way, another glowing review has been posted to RPGnow. The last sentence or two of the review really blew my mind and made me as giddy as a schoolgirl (or perhaps a tentacled schoolgirl). Check it out.

#52 CynthiaCM

CynthiaCM

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

Annnnnd yet another review. This one goes section by section in the book, detailing each chapter. He has broken it up into multiple parts and only the first two parts are available at this point. Either way, it's a very positive review. Click here for the first part. A link to the second can be found at the end of Part One.

#53 CynthiaCM

CynthiaCM

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

The folks at Flames Rising have posted my "design essay" for Macabre Tales today, so if you're interested in some of the "how's" and "why's" of the game, go check it out.

Also, the files fior the softcover version have been approved by the printers, so I've ordered a copy to ensure that it looks good. The files for the hardcover version are still being approved at this time.

#54 PhoneCallOfCthulhu

PhoneCallOfCthulhu

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

Nice. Will the softcover or hardcover prints be offered with a PDF in a combo or do you have to buy the electronic and paper copy separately?

#55 CynthiaCM

CynthiaCM

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:54 PM

We will be offering a bundle deal. Basically, if you choose a bundle, you'll get the print version at full price and the PDF for an additional $3.

#56 JudoMonk

JudoMonk

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

It has been a week...any updates on print release?

We will be offering a bundle deal. Basically, if you choose a bundle, you'll get the print version at full price and the PDF for an additional $3.

#57 CynthiaCM

CynthiaCM

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

Hi, JudoMonk.

I'm waiting for the test copy of the softcover version to arrive at my house before I can release it, as I don't want people to purchase a book and then find out that it looks wrong or has some other flaw. It should be here within 1-3 more days. I received a notification saying that it was sent out on Saturday. As soon as I look it over and can say that it looks right, I'll click the button on my DriveThru page and then let everyone know it's available.

As for the hardback version, it's still listed as being in "Pre-Media". Hopefully, it will be ready within a day or two, so I can have a copy sent out to me for testing.

Either way, the softcover will be released first. It's not due to a marketing ploy or anything like that though. It's simply because it'll be ready to be sold sooner than the hardcover version.

#58 CynthiaCM

CynthiaCM

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

Spectrum Games is pleased to announce the “Tale of Terror” contest! If you’re an aspiring writer/designer who is interested in getting your work published and winning a copy of Spectrum’s newest role-playing game, Macabre Tales, then you could be in luck!

We are looking for short adventures (called “tales” in the game) for inclusion in an upcoming supplement. That’s where you come in! To enter, simply submit a summary/premise of your tale (between 500 and 1,000 words in length) to cynthia.spectrumgames (at) gmail.com by December 6th, 2011.

On December 8th, three entries we feel are the most intriguing will be selected as the winners. The three authors in question will be sent the PDF version of the Macabre Tales rulebook so that they can learn the game rules and flesh out their respective tales into a short adventure (between 4,000 and 5,000 words in length). The tale must be received before January 15th, 2012 at which point Spectrum Games may suggest alterations. The final draft will be due on January 28th. The softcover version of the Macabre Tales rulebook will be sent to the individual authors when their final tales have been turned in.

To reiterate, here’s the timeline:

Dec. 6th: Summary Deadline
Dec. 8th: Three Winners Announced
Jan. 15th: First Draft Deadline
Jan. 28th: Final Draft Deadline

BASIC RULES FOR TALES:
• Tales must be set in the 1920s or 1930s
• Tales must be designed with a single primary character in mind.
• Tales should stay as true to the spirit, themes and tropes of Lovecraft’s stories as possible.
• You can only use tomes, characters, artifacts, entities or creatures taken from H.P. Lovecraft’s fiction or from your own imagination. Anything created by H.P. Lovecraft’s successors or peers (August Derleth, Brian Lumley, Robert E. Howard, etc.) is off limits.
• Submissions must be sent via email as attachments in Word or txt. format. Should you include any maps or handouts, they should be sent in TIFF or PNG format.
• The subject line of the email with the summary entry should be “Tale of Terror Submission – [name of your tale]”
• On the attachment file itself should be your name, email address and telephone number.

OTHER CONTEST RULES:
• The contest is not open to employees of Spectrum Games or their personal friends or family members.
• Participants may submit up to three tale summaries, though only one tale per person can be selected. That is, we will not select more than one tale from a single participant.
• Spectrum Games gains ownership of the three tales chosen as the winning entries.
• This contest is subject to federal, state and local laws, where applicable.
• Should the author fail to meet the stated deadlines, his or her submission may be withdrawn by Spectrum Games in favor of a runner-up.
• Spectrum Games reserves the tight to withdraw the contest at any time.
• Spectrum Games reserves the right to edit the text as needed in order for it to be as professional as possible.

#59 CynthiaCM

CynthiaCM

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

I just received my copy of the Macabre Tales rulebook and I'm very pleased with how it looks. As such, it's now for sale at DrivethruRPG.com! Hopefully, the hardcover version will be ready in the next week.

Thanks for your patience.

#60 JonHook

JonHook

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

I'm totally entering this contest!!!!