Photo
- - - - -

Elder Sign: Omens - coming to a handheld device near you...

Review

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#161 Stroskotanec

Stroskotanec

Master

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

I won!!! I beat Ithaqua AND rescue Ashley :-). I have now all investigators unlock :-D.

All chalanges completed. :cool:

HURAAAAA :-D.

PS: I used:

1. Sister Mary
2. Amanda Sharpe
3. Jenny Barnes
4. Rita Young

#162 Carcosa

Carcosa

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationRochester NY (upstate)

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

This is pretty much the only video game I play, and I don't play it that often but have won numerous times. High score 4935. Have all the expansions but haven't picked up the table top expansion because the table top version just seems too easy to win...

#163 dboeren

dboeren

Master

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

I haven't played the tabletop version outside of trying the demo at Gencon one year. I've heard it's easier, and this one is fairly easy already in the standard scenarios.

I just recently beat Ithaqua and rescued Ashley, so I've beaten all the scenarios now - just gotta wait and see when they add some new ones. I find the add-ons for this game to be very well done and the extra features, cutscenes, etc... really elevate it over the basic physical game. Maybe the expansion adds some of these ideas into the cardboard version too - I don't know.

#164 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:35 AM

Maybe the expansion adds some of these ideas into the cardboard version too - I don't know.

It does - there are several characters in the boardgame expansion that I first met playing the app.
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#165 fox01313

fox01313

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:55 AM

Just got the android versoin recently & been quite pleased with not only the gameplay but the menu design & audio are rather wonderful. After trying out a bunch of mobile games recently this & the game Cthulhu Saves the World are both pretty much the only ones I keep playing. Found too many mobile games that are too much like arcade games & with just the touch screen, I didn't find them that much fun but these 2 I really enjoy as the turn based gameplay makes them quite good for on the go without worry of accidentally missing some control at a bad time, just have to worry about going insane from picking the wrong thing.

"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

#166 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

Heads up for fellow fans of the Elder Sign iOS version. It's going to stop working in iOS 11, coming soon, unless it is recompiled as a 64bit app and a new version released in time. If you have an iPad etc that can run iOS 11 it will be difficult to avoid the iOS upgrade - I managed to stop iOS 9->10 change on my old iPad, but I had to be very careful re putting it in airplane mode when plugged in etc, otherwise it would have updated anyway.

Fantasy Flight Games need to update this app soon, and it would be good if fellow users of the app could lobby them to make this change. Various contact means are available, but probably the most direct is via @FFGsoftware on Twitter.

This is the sort of issue that can stop unsupported apps working long term (Mansions of Madness 2nd edition I'm thinking of you ...). But for now re FFG and Cthulhu games it's Elder Sign iOS app that's at most risk.

Edited by yockenthwaite, 30 April 2017 - 08:35 PM.

#167 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,419 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:48 PM

There's a few on my phone that will stop working due to iOS 11.

Settings > General > About > Applications

shows which ones.

I've seen some developers give this as a reason to stop supporting certain paid apps (including "lifetime" apps) and suggest buying their new/upgraded/better app. Hopefully FFG will update Elder Sign - there's still a few months yet before iOS 11 drops.

#168 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:05 PM

FFG have started updating some apps to 64 bit, so it's hopeful they'll do this one too. But a little extra prodding wouldn't hurt ;)

I've also been lobbying for Lords of Waterdeep to be updated. I'll also be sad if Lords of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge stop working.

But for an easy life this time I do expect to update to iOS 11. I just hope I don't lose too many good things.

#169 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

Delighted to say that Elder Sign: Omens iOS app has just updated to be a 64 bit app, so it will continue to run in iOS 11 when that comes out soon. Yay!

#170 fluffy

fluffy

Breakfast Clubber

• Innsmouth House Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

I have recently ( about three months ) been hooked on the game Elder Sign on my ipad.

There may have been posts on this in the past but I couldn't find any.

For those not familiar its based on the board game, which I have only played once.

You get to pick a foursome of PCs who battle against various mythos monsters.

As you get better, and eventually pay for the full game, more PCs and monsters become available.

I don't usually buy the whole game but I am glad I did.

The premise is that your team acquires enough elder signs to beat the goo before the goo devours you.
(With some variation it has to be said)

Adventures are handled by usually one PC but occasionally other PCs get involved.

Getting the team right for the goo is fun, but as you can guess getting a team that isn't right to win is difficult but also fun.

The AI rewards good play choices and intelligent play (I think) and bravery.

Interestlingly Nyarlathotep and Ithaqua are deemed higher goos than Cthulhu.

The initial play nearly always starts in the museum but things progress for some goos to exotic scenarios.

It took me a couple of weeks to beat Ithaqua, despite playing the game quite intensely as I was visiting my poorly husband who was asleep quite a bit.

I would be interested in other folks experience and comments on this game. It has the authentic ring of designer(s) who understand the Mythos

Always carry a sturdy safety pin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Review