Photo
- - - - -

Elder Sign: Omens - coming to a handheld device near you...

Review

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#41 sraymonds

sraymonds

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

My highest score is 4,905 using Amanda and Darrell. I'm currently 2 wins out of what feels like a bajillion

#42 Q-man

Q-man

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

My high score is 4,585 so far. I think I'm 0 for 2 using four investigators and 2 for 3 using just one investigator. Which seems to match how the real game plays out. With one investigator I can hoard trophies and buy the last few Elder Signs to win. With multiple investigators that's not an option, so we get stuck with those couple locations that we've been avoiding due to their difficulty as we're running low on resources. Which is an exciting time in the game since there's a lot of tension built up.

#43 Mik

Mik

Master

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Locationthe Netherlands

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

Hahaha I did not even know it was possible to play with less than four investigators. A whole new world opens!

Won one time now, with a score of 4000 something. Still finding out how stuff works though, I got pretty lucky.

#44 ragnarhedin

ragnarhedin

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

The game is completely incredible. I love the table top game and will keep playing that solo from time to time for its nuances and to have everything at my fingertips, but the iPad version is so so good. I'm 0-3 so far, but have been distracted in the midst of games. I plan to buckle down tonight and have a real go.
Spoiler
For Dark Shadows jokes and absurdity follow @Fake_Barnabas.

#45 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationShadowy Scotland

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:19 PM

Adding my voice to the choir: yeah, I'm dying a lot too and, yes, I wish there was more than one GOO, but perhaps we only need wait for an update.

I've got to say though, if you like it on your iPod/iPad, you are going to love this on your iMac. Slick isn't the word. This is gorgeous and addictive.

I've only won twice, but I'm having a blast! :D

#46 ragnarhedin

ragnarhedin

Breakfast Clubber

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

First win. Score was 4550. It feels much easier with just 1 investigator, but since the adventures themselves are more deadly, I was almost killed a number of times.
Spoiler
For Dark Shadows jokes and absurdity follow @Fake_Barnabas.

#47 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

I was about to purchase this, but i'm seeing a *lot* of reports of crashing, both on iTunes' reviews, and other places. Thoughts?
Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#48 patrick1971

patrick1971

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:25 AM

I was about to purchase this, but i'm seeing a *lot* of reports of crashing, both on iTunes' reviews, and other places. Thoughts?

Got the andriod version and been playing it a lot over the last week and its never crashed... It has taken a couple of moments to think about to think about things every so often thugh... Great little game has killed a lot of time...

#49 Q-man

Q-man

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:51 AM

I have this on the iPhone 4 with iOS 5, thus far I've had 1 crash during the 10 or so games I've played. So they do happen I guess, but they aren't very common. Each game takes me about an hour, so a crash through ten or so hours of game play isn't terrible.

#50 gladius

gladius

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

I have the iPhone 4 version and the Android version.
The iPhone version has been flawless.
I have had constant problems on my HTC Touch Pro (Android) phone. It keeps wanting to download all of the content over and over again, and once I finally got past that, it's been crashing probably 50% of the time. Sometimes it recovers from these crashes and you don't lose your game, but at least once I've had to start over. Then yesterday it wanted to download the content again (perhaps they updated the game to fix some of the crashes?)
With that said, when it's working its a fantastic game.

#51 lordingrey

lordingrey

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

I have Ipad version and have had perhaps 2 crashes in uptmeen games both at game end anyway [lost game and investigator killed same time seems to cause trouble] (high score about 5200). I encourage anyone to report all bugs to FFG via the user links at the bottom of their forum pages.

Great game, nicely done execution. Now rivals Carcasonne as my favourite ipad game app.

#52 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

I've got the iPhone and full Mac versions. Neither has ever crashed for me. Although I did see an update come out recently through iTunes. I wasn't paying attention to see which version (or both?) were updated, but that might have fixed things.

All I know is that since updating, I've not managed to win a single game on my Mac. Deadly, it is! ;)

This has instantly become my best and favourite game on the iPhone.

#53 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

Just tried my first game of this on my iPad. I have the board game, but haven't played it yet. So I was a complete newbie. I found the video tutorials helpful but also somewhat frustrating, not quite covering things in enough depth, skipping over things that still puzzled me. But I charged on with the game. And lost comprehensively :) But I enjoyed it immensely, and can only improve (at least in game at-ease-ness, if not winning!) in future. Very glad I bought it.

#54 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

I've actually found that over time I've got a much better understanding of how the table-top game should be played as a result of using Elder Sign: Omens.

I thought the original Elder Sign was rather easy... that's because I was unknowingly cheating! Now I see my mistake and balance has been restored.

One thing I thought to mention as well, but I like that the game remembers exactly where you are, so if a game has to be interrupted, you can come back to the exact point where you were previously. I've found this tremendously useful on both the iPhone and full Mac versions.

#55 GadZookFilms

GadZookFilms

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:20 AM

Thought I'd chime in and say that this has become one of my favorite mobile games as well. The spit and polish of the whole thing is pretty awesome.
----------
GadZook Films

#56 Flock Of Panthers

Flock Of Panthers

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

I am really impressed with the music.

I mean obviously it's atmospheric and enjoyable, but I love how sophisticated it's context sensitivity is. I don't know how many times I've agonised over a decision while the music swells in tension, only to resolve as I throw the dice.

#57 Paddurz

Paddurz

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationWest (Best) Coast of Sweden

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:06 AM

I've actually found that over time I've got a much better understanding of how the table-top game should be played as a result of using Elder Sign: Omens.

I thought the original Elder Sign was rather easy... that's because I was unknowingly cheating! Now I see my mistake and balance has been restored.

One thing I thought to mention as well, but I like that the game remembers exactly where you are, so if a game has to be interrupted, you can come back to the exact point where you were previously. I've found this tremendously useful on both the iPhone and full Mac versions.

I agree with StuartB - I've obviously not played the board game correctly before! it is my favourite game on the iPad - and as StuartB also said, as the game remembers where you are, without you having to save it, it can be played for a short moments and still be enjoyable.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

http://twitter.com/paddurz

#58 Noble

Noble

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

I find that when 'The Curator' pops up, I hardly ever seem to be able to beat it, and then I just lose all my points, and then the game. Still loving it though, did anyone notice that 'The Necronomicon Horror', had a update and a add-on posted?

Edited by Noble, 13 November 2011 - 01:35 PM.
missed an 'a'

The static in my mind, leaves me hollow and unkind.

#59 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

The more I play it, the more wary I am of certain cards and yes, The Curator fills me with dread!

I find that I almost have to play with Harvey Walters if I want to beat the Curator and, I have to say, he is incredibly useful otherwise as well. The only other way is with a character who has access to the Yellow and Red dice, and a couple of Clue tokens.

I've heard people comment about Arkham Horror that it is possible to devise 'dream teams' and I suspect the same is true of Elder Sign: Omens. However, I find it more fun to just click the 'Random' button and descend into madness and death... but perhaps that just me.

#60 synthboy

synthboy

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

Finally got round to downloading this and I've only played two games (1 loss, 1 win which seems pretty good results from what I read) but I'm loving it. I too like the fact you can just flip your iPad cover shut and come back to the game although I'm not very good at that ("One more card then I'll quit, just one more.") Fingers crossed for some add-ons.

Ludmilla: I'll distract him, you slip something hard and tasteless into his drink.
Moe: What like, a potato?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Review