Photo
- - - - -

Elder Sign: Omens - coming to a handheld device near you...

Review

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#21 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationShadowy Scotland

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

I'll try to play a little tonight, Yockenthwaite and give you a wee report. I might be interested in the full Mac version as well, if this goes well.

#22 William-Tobey

William-Tobey

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

Had a bit of a tinker with it last night. Although I can't compare it to the original board game as I've never played it, I was really impressed with this digital implementation. Having said that, I think it will suit the iPad better. I loaded the iPhone version onto the iPad and blew the size up. It was a more pleasant playing experience because of the larger screan, so I'm looking forward to the native iPad version they are promising. FFG really seem to marry impressive audio/visuals while maintaining a good game mechanic. Hope this is the start of more from FFGs!

#23 Q-man

Q-man

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

It seems pretty good, fairly faithful to the actual game in terms of rules and play. I find it a little harder to play than the actual game though, as you have to tap on everything to find out whats going on. Its a lot easier to just scan the various tokens and markers on the game cards when deciding what to do.

Beyond that its just as fun as the real game is in my opinion. Though some of the transitions between the various game screens seem to take a little too long. Its cool to see the artwork presented front and center, but once I've seen it a few times I'm less excited about the close ups. Multi-player would just be a fantastic addition to it, I've no idea if that's in the works or not though.

#24 Noble

Noble

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

Really enjoying it so far, and for only £2.50!! :P
The static in my mind, leaves me hollow and unkind.

#25 gladius

gladius

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

It is very slick - and very true to the dice game. I've played two games, the second I was much closer to winning: I had 10 elder signs when I lost, and ended up scoring +1875 points. My first game I lost and scored -175 points :(

The tutorials are of the same high quality as the recent video reviews.

Playing on an iPad will definitely be a more enjoyable (although slightly more expensive, I see they want to charge $6.99 for the iPad version) experience - sometimes there are some buttons near the edges of the screen that I find hard to tap on the iPhone. And I do end up opening up my investigators almost every turn, to see what they have - which is a usability issue compared to the tabletop version - but overall it's so well done that I don't mind. I agree with Q-man that the "shutter" effect between each scene gets annoying after a while and could be sped up.

One thing that differs here, which makes me wonder if I'm playing the tabletop version correctly: when you lock a die with a spell, that die doesn't seem to stay locked for the next character. This seems like a spell is little different than the "focus" and "assist" abilities. I've been playing the tabletop game by allowing the die to stay locked (until used) even if it's another player's turn.

This is definitely worth the few dollars it costs. It should be integrated with GameCenter (or their own leaderboards) though, so I could compare my high scores to my friends, or to a global leaderboard.

#26 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

Yup, I'm loving it. Losing sanity left and right, but loving it.

It is a bit small on my iPod Touch, so I can imagine how much better this would be suited to iPads. I think I will invest in a full Mac version.

Oh, and Gladius, I'm with you on the use of Spells in the tabletop version. But perhaps I need to re-read the rules.

#27 Noble

Noble

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

I am really enjoying it, seems harder then the table top version, the production standards are very high, both visuals and sound quality. It is a little bit difficult to read on the old IPhone, but that has nothing to do with the program, and more to do with thing your playing on. For less then a pint of beer, you can't go wrong!
The static in my mind, leaves me hollow and unkind.

#28 lordingrey

lordingrey

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

It is pretty though I found it not as easy to "manage my team" as looking at the tabletop version and seeing "who's what" and "what's up" with locations "all there at once".

Played some more and it came smoother (I think having the table version rules in my head was a problem at first as it differs a bit), now quite fun. Look forward to the ipad-sized version.

#29 AndyMcD52

AndyMcD52

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationHatfield, Herts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

I have been playing it sice I downloaded it. Needless to say my investigators got buttered up and served every time. It is hard but damn fun. I also broke the game by completing a challenge whilst losing my last part of sanity.

#30 sraymonds

sraymonds

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

It's now up for the iPad! Currently downloading

#31 Mik

Mik

Master

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Locationthe Netherlands

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

Android version is finally up too. Installing now, can't wait!

#32 patrick1971

patrick1971

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

Perfect timing! I've got a long rail journey, this should help it be less tedious...

#33 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

I can heartily recommend the full Mac version.

Playing this game at 1920x1440 resolution is an inspiration. Simply stunning. Makes me realize all that I was missing on the iPhone. I'm sure the iPad version is gorgeous as well.

I've now got the tabletop, iPod and full Mac version of Elder Sign. And I'm a fan of all three. ;)

FFG must love me.

#34 markhepworth

markhepworth

Master

• Old Patron
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

Apparently my android phone isn't supported :( I find this slightly surprising as it's usually the newer 3d based stuff that my phone can't use, but never mind. Another excuse to get a tablet in the new year sales :)

#35 sraymonds

sraymonds

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:58 PM

Wow, I lose. Like a lot.

#36 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:15 AM

I bought the iPod version the other day for my iPad because I didn't know one would be released. I've been playing it the other day and am pleasantly surprised by it. Out of 6 or 7 complete games, I've only won once, but its still fun every time.

I do wish they would have put in more than 1 GOO to fight, but I suppose that will come with updates. Good game. :)

#37 JonHook

JonHook

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:35 AM

I just bought the Android version, and it's loading as I type. I can't wait to play.

#38 Thom_Serveaux

Thom_Serveaux

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

Wow, I lose. Like a lot.

You too, huh. I suppose the stars aren't right yet.

#39 Mik

Mik

Master

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Locationthe Netherlands

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

It's hard, so devilishly hard. It's unfair. It's slow and sometimes a bit awkward to control. It's also one of the best presented products for my Android that I've seen so far. The artwork is top notch, and so is the music. To top things off, it's also extremely addicting and worth every cent I've payed.

You won't regret getting this one, especially when you have to survive in the rather barren Android market.

#40 gladius

gladius

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

We'll have to start a "high score" thread - I'm interested to see how well others have done. So far I'm 1-for-3 with a high score of 1875. It's a shame they don't integrate with GameCenter and we could just compare friend scores.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Review