Photo
- - - - -

French Call of Cthulhu 30th Anniversary edition (L'Appel de Cthulhu)

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#1 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,416 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

So a surprise package arrived at the door of Innsmouth House today. Said package turned out to contain a copy of the new 30th anniversary edition of Call of Cthulhu - but this time the French edition (L'Appel de Cthulhu).

In short, it is the most handsome edition of Call of Cthulhu I've ever seen (in 30 years of collecting), in fact it's probably the best-looking RPG book I've ever seen.

To give you a sample of what it's like I'll post a few photographs here.

coc-fr-30th-01.jpg

The endpapers and face page. The book comes with an internal bookmark.

coc-fr-30th-02.jpg

Just a sample of the full-spread colour art featured throughout the book.

coc-fr-30th-03.jpg

How to make a Mythos timeline look interesting.

coc-fr-30th-04.jpg

Examples of how character professions are presented.

coc-fr-30th-05.jpg

More full colour double-page spread artwork.

coc-fr-30th-06.jpg
This edition of the Call of Cthulhu rule book is a true anniversary edition. Besides bringing back some of the wonderful art from the game over the past three decades, throughout the book there are entries discussing Call of Cthulhu supplements that have appeared during the game's history (Both French and English, from multiple publishers) .

(Click on the images to see larger versions.)

#2 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,416 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:28 PM

A few more photographs.

coc-fr-30th-07.jpg

An example of highlighting art from the history of the game. In this case Les Edwards' "Chiller".

coc-fr-30th-08.jpg

The use of a 'woodcut' style for creature illustration (also put to effective use by Pegasus Spiele in Germany).

coc-fr-30th-09.jpg

Example of the bestiary section.

coc-fr-30th-10.jpg

Sample of how the accompanying scenarios at the back of the book are presented.

I could take a picture of any page from L'Appel de Cthulhu Édition 30e Anniversaire and the standard would be the same. The book weighs in at just under 1.6 Kg for 398 full colour pages. This is a book you'd want to show off. It is an exemplar of beautiful presentation.

A brilliant anniversary edition by Sans-Détour. If you can read French you will not want to miss it.

#3 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

Thanks, Paul. I believe I am sticking to this release. It looks gorgeous. I will have to save a lot in order to get it and I hope that it won´t sold out before October.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu

#4 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:50 PM

:(
so annoyed. It is a beautiful book... If ANYTHING warranted a kickstarter project it's an English version of this book. Sadly, due to whatever esoteric wranglings go on in the industry we're likely never to see it. I REALLY wish that a certain company would get their visual act together. It seems sad that the more that license holders bring out books like this, the worse the original publisher looks. They just cannot put a reprint in a hardcover and call it a special edition anymore.

#5 DrVincent

DrVincent

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

Wow, that is amazing. Thanks for posting. Can we please have this in an english version... no really, who do I have to kill }:-E
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity because our realtor was a lying, cheating, crazy, cultist jerk.

#6 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

Wow, that is amazing. Thanks for posting. Can we please have this in an english version... no really, who do I have to kill }:-E

You won't need all 3 guesses...

OK... I'll behave now.

#7 Mograg

Mograg

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:02 PM

I just e-mailed Charlie Krank at Chaosium to ask him if he would entertain the idea of reprinting this gorgeous French 30th anniversary edition in English. I know that Chaosium just reprinted the sixth edition rules in a leather cover as an anniversary edition (and acknowledged that in my e-mail)...but dear god look at that French edition...I told Charlie that I don't even read French and have entertained the notion of buying this thing just on the presentation alone. If it were to be published in English...I would snap it up in a hot minute.

Maybe if enough of us appeal directly to Chaosium (charlie@chaosium.com) we can make this wish come true.

Best,

Brian C.
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
mograg@hotmail.com

P.S.: I'd be willing to pony up for a ransom/fundable effort for this book if that is what it took.

#8 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

Maybe if enough of us appeal directly to Chaosium (charlie@chaosium.com) we can make this wish come true.

I sent him an email a long time ago on the same lines about Sàns Detour´s DG books. I am still waiting for a response.

Edited by WiseWolf, 12 September 2011 - 06:47 PM.

"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu

#9 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,416 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:46 PM

I've just heard from Sans-Détour. They clarified that this edition isn't a collectable one. It's the standard edition from here on out (and apparently it has a huge print run).

I've just been looking through it some more and there's wonderful attention to detail.

On page 58 there's an excellent "info graphic" detailing the major Call of Cthulhu campaigns, their timelines and locations around the world.

#10 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationShadowy Scotland

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:24 PM

Could not resist. Gah. Purchased.

Thank goodness my wife speaks fluent French. The registration message might as well have been in Yithian! 8O

I now officially have too many copies of the CoC rules... an eBay auction might be warranted.

#11 Noble

Noble

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:36 PM

I now officially have too many copies of the CoC rules... an eBay auction might be warranted.

Well make sure you leave space for 7th ed, and then all the nicer non-English versions that will come out, grrr!
The static in my mind, leaves me hollow and unkind.

#12 cjearkham

cjearkham

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:15 AM

I've just heard from Sans-Détour. They clarified that this edition isn't a collectable one. It's the standard edition from here on out (and apparently it has a huge print run).

Oh, good. I attempted the Sans-Détour site with the help of Google Translate, but I was unable to get it to acknowledge my newly created account. I've successfully used amazon.jp through Google Translate, so I looked at amazon.fr, but they currently have only the 2008 edition. I'll wait to see if this one turns up in a few weeks.
Chris Jarocha-Ernst
Hagiographer of the Cthulhu Mythos

#13 Mograg

Mograg

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:40 AM

The latest edition of the (English language) Keeper's Screen is, as I understand things, a clone of the French language edition Keeper's Screen. Could not the same thing be done with the core rulebook? If the French have done the masterwork job, could not Chaosium as the license-holder simply replicate it in English (with a generous and wholehearted tip of the hat to Sans Detour for their inspired work).

Yes it would mean translating the core rules book, but there must be a few people in the business capable of that. And the layout, images, and all that are already there, so no guesswork involved on what works and what does not. Simple translation. And the thing would be a surefire seller, based on the reactions in this forum (including my own - I wish I'd paid more attention in my high school French classes!).

I held off buying the English-language 30th Anniversary Edition since I already have the sixth edition rules in three other hardcover formats (standard rulebook, the 20th anniversary "green leather" rulebook, and the 25th anniversary "looks like the old boxed set cover" rulebook). If this Sans Detour edition came out in English I'd have my credit card out so fast it would create a minor sonic boom.

- Brian C.
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
mograg@hotmail.com

#14 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:12 AM

If this Sans Detour edition came out in English I'd have my credit card out so fast it would create a minor sonic boom.

hahaha... yeah me too. But then, why would Chaosium do that? it's in their interest not to so that people still buy their version and not the Sans detour English version.

#15 Mograg

Mograg

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:22 AM

Well I suppose you have a point, there. All these wonderful French and German Call of Cthulhu productions...truly I am envious of my French and German literate gamer brethren.

#16 Dr_Zarnak

Dr_Zarnak

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:47 AM

Magnificent. So, is the game this popular in France that someone can afford to put out something like that? Is the RPG industry over there being subsidized by the government?

By the way, Ludik Bazar will be getting stock of the book in a week or so, and their website has an English version.

#17 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,416 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:54 AM

I believe Call of Cthulhu is particularly popular in both France and Germany. Germany has a long tradition of games-playing and my understanding is that French literary circles have always considered Lovecraft a serious author. Both countries still have on-the-shelf Games/RPG magazines the last time I looked.

Sans-Détour have been putting out some beautiful editions like the Beyond the Mountains of Madness Collector's Edition; the German edition of Horror on the Orient Express is also a high water mark in production value.

From what I hear Chaosium have a group of people working on a 7th edition of Call of Cthulhu which I imagine won't be identical to the French version. However it certainly wouldn't be impossible for Chaosium to pour in the English language content into the French presentation format (that's essentially what happened with Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu 20th/30th anniversary edition and the German limited edition of the time).

It's really up to Chaosium to have the will to do something like this. I imagine the English language market would be the biggest of all.

#18 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationShadowy Scotland

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

Well make sure you leave space for 7th ed, and then all the nicer non-English versions that will come out, grrr!

I do hope that Chaosium are listening and will step things up for the 7th Ed. Paul makes a perfect point: there is a huge English-speaking market for this!

Wake up and smell the ichor, Chaosium!
8-O

As is, with the Sans Detour edition shipping this morning, I'm going to eBay my 6th Ed. while hanging on to my workhorse hardback 5.6Ed. for reference. In time I may get rid of that as well.

#19 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

Got my copy today. It looks lovely, and on a trivial but still rather important point it was very well packed in lots of bubble wrap and a good strong cardboard box. So no chance of being damaged in transit. Very pleased with it. Now where's that French dictionary ... ;)

#20 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:07 PM

Thanks to you, ô english speaking nerds. I did not even know this had come out. Will snap it up pronto ;-)

Now I ONLY I could read German too.....
christian lehmann