Photo
- - - - -

Menacing Missives - A postcard scenario competition.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

In celebration of H.P. Lovecraft's birthday and Summer (although, of course it is raining as I type this), I'm running a competition. The idea is simple: send Yoggie a scenario on a postcard. A shortlist will be selected by popular acclaim and a secret cabal of judges will select the winners.

Pelgrane Press are happy to provide prize support for this contest, which includes ephemera, a clue to the Darcy mystery and a $50 Pelgrane Press voucher, with two $25 runner-up prizes.

Send your post card to this address :
Postcard Competion
Innsmouth House
P.O. Box 315
SHIPLEY, BD18 9DB
United
Kingdom

The Rules:
- The scenario should fit on one side of a single postcard, no larger than A5 in size.
- The scenario should relate to the image on the front and contain no references to rules (so it is playable with any system).
- The front can contain minor annotations (such as dingbats or numbers) linked to writing on the back but not extra writing.
- The postcard doesn't have to contain the whole detailed scenario but should be enough for a Keeper to run the game.
- The closing date is Hallowe'en 2011. Any postcards received after that date will not be considered for a prize.

(Thanks to Dave L, for his card which inspired this competition, for Paul of Cthulhu for hosting the competition and Pelgrane Press for providing prize support)

Come read about Dreamhounds of Paris actually being played.

The Armitage Files, now with added Ennie Award.
Cthulhu Britannica: London Box Set, now with Golden Geek runner-up award.

#2 dce

dce

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

In celebration of H.P. Lovecraft's birthday and Summer (although, of course it is raining as I type this), I'm running a competition. The idea is simple: send Yoggie a scenario on a postcard.

This is an extremely cool idea for a competition ... and knowing how creative people on YSDC are, there will doubtless be some amazing entries.

Now if only I had enough free time to write something in a format that brief :-)

Dean (from Adelaide)

#3 Paradroid

Paradroid

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

Very cool. Count me in. Luckily, I neglected to post that particular postcard with Castle Rieneck of CthulhuCon fame in front.

#4 Sim88

Sim88

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

Why wasn't this posted yesterday? I just used a perfect postcard for this... it is a drawing of a human skin, pinned up like a drapery with latin words written on it... Will have to find another one.

#5 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

Ooh I happened to buy another postcard this morning on my way home. Now will I try to write a scenario, or just send my usual? :) Options. Oh and I presume if we have the whole of the side of the postcard to write on that includes where the address would usually go on one half of the clear side? So popping it in an envelope?

#6 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

So I'm fairly positive one can create their own postcards. Is that permissive for this contest?

#7 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

Good questions!

I've pinged GBSteve for clarification. :)

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly. Remember – hate is always foolish and love is always wise. Always try to be nice and never fail to be kind."

– Doctor Who

#8 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

I'm going to be strict. The postcard has to be stamped and addressed, no putting it in an envelope. Also designing your own postcard is not permitted. It has to be commercially available.

#9 jabonko

jabonko

3-Dimensional Shambler

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:37 PM

I'll ask because I'm not confident the first postcard I find will be that "perfect one" and because others may have the same question:

How many submissions is each contestant allowed?

#10 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:13 PM

As many as you like although we might not read all of them if you send in more than 10. Also, each one should be a separate entry (even if a series of postcards would make for a nice way of presenting a scenario, but that's for another day).

#11 cjearkham

cjearkham

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:45 PM

a series of postcards would make for a nice way of presenting a scenario

That would be a postcard campaign, no?
Chris Jarocha-Ernst
Hagiographer of the Cthulhu Mythos

#12 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:42 PM

So I got one of the postcards I was going to use today and saw that it had already been written on, although not postmarked. The majority of the writing is in pencil so I should be able to remove it, but there is some that is in ink. Any thoughts on how I can safely remove the ink? I'd prefer not to use something like white out and am hoping that when I erase the pencil the ink will magically disappear too.

#13 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:19 AM

You could paste a piece of paper over the offending text if it's too big. I don't have a problem with alterations to the back.

#14 Noble

Noble

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:59 PM

Just to say what a great idea, and thanks for running it for the rest of us a competion :D
I have come across a number of postcards, and come up with a number of one-off games for the back. I will be sending them off as soon as I can. As a teaser one of the games is titled Mr Twinkle Toes!
The static in my mind, leaves me hollow and unkind.

#15 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,505 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

We receive the first entry in the Postcard Scenario competition!

postcard-090.jpg
postcard-090a.jpg

1- Bohnberger's Discovery

The horrors of Tübingen are revealed in this first entry by wus. (A little German language skill may be required. ;))

Edited by GBSteve, 03 November 2011 - 11:13 AM.

"Never be cruel, never be cowardly. Remember – hate is always foolish and love is always wise. Always try to be nice and never fail to be kind."

– Doctor Who

#16 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

Wow! That's impressive. Must get on with mine :) I now have the reference material I need to spark off ideas for my (not intentionally chosen for this competition) postcard. So just have to produce something! Well done Wolf-Ulrich for being so quick of the mark.

#17 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

Just finished my 1st one. It took a while to get the spacing all set up, but now that I have the format worked out I should be able to knock out the other two quite easily. I hope to get all three done this morning, and have them mailed out on Tuesday.

OK... It's a couple of day's later... I have all three of my entries ready for mailing. One quick trip to the post office and they are off.

Edited by Gol-Goroth, 06 September 2011 - 12:10 AM.

Founder of Golden Goblin Press : Golden Goblin Press
Check out my Blog : Oscar Rios - Minion of Cthulhu

#18 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:03 AM

Just curious, but what size font is everyone using? I'm trying to find a balance between having the right size and too small to read.

#19 GBSteve

GBSteve

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:57 AM

The one that was sent in seems to manage this well. Check out Paul's postcard thread.

#20 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:56 PM

Just sent mine in. Some fun facts I learned about sending postcards from the US to UK:

- Postcards must have 2 and 1/8 inches of space on the right-side for addressing.
- Postcards going from the US to the UK require $0.98 of stamps. Fortunately, you can buy a $0.98 stamp.