• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#161 Chad Out of Space

Chad Out of Space

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

I forgot to post this - I wrote a Cthulhu Dark scenario for an RPGGeek contest and won! :) The scenario, A Midsummer Night's Haunting, is available here.

Thanks to Graham for making such a simple and great system, that is extremely easy to hack.

Nicely done, congratulations!

#162 Skyman

Skyman

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

I forgot to post this - I wrote a Cthulhu Dark scenario for an RPGGeek contest and won! :) The scenario, A Midsummer Night's Haunting, is available here.

Thanks to Graham for making such a simple and great system, that is extremely easy to hack.

Congrats!
I have Social Dystrophy

#163 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Thanks. But the congrats should go to graham - without CD I would not have been able to write what I wanted to. Not that I couldn't have done it in Call of Cthulhu, but I purposely was looking for something outside of my comfort level as a challenge. CD worked quite nicely. :)

#164 GrahamW

GrahamW

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

That is fantastic! Congratulations! I like the possession die.

Someday, I must write that article I keep planning in my head about hacking Cthulhu Dark.

For the uninitiated: I really like people using Cthulhu Dark for their games. I like people to contact me first, but I almost always say yes, and let people use it for free. (If you're a company, then we might need to talk about licensing, but if it's just you, then it'll probably be free.)

#165 NeferSutekh

NeferSutekh

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

Excellent. Thank you for posting this.
John A. Almack

#166 MrJupiter

MrJupiter

Master

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

CTHULHU DARK is an ideal rules-lite horror system. For purely Cthulhu uses I'd stick with players needing to run from mid-level to major beasties, however, for other horror games (along the lines of CHILL), I was wondering about giving monsters varying dice. Something like a zombie from Night Of The Living Dead, I was thinking that their individual die type could be a 4-sider. The odds of a player beating a contested roll with one of them would be better than a cultist (they are very slow and stiff). However, two of these creatures together would be worth a d6 rating, and a swarm could be worth a d8 (treating results of 7 and 8 as a 6).

Greater monsters, say a bog-monster (whatever that might be) would have a d8 challenge rating. Something really big and nasty could even have a d10 or d12 to roll with, and the player's odds of beating these are really slim.

Does this seem like something worth exploring?

#167 Narmer

Narmer

Neophyte

• 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

I think giving monsters a die is a good idea. I like the idea that a ghoul/cultist/zombie can be fought by the investigators.

#168 MrJupiter

MrJupiter

Master

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

It might be interesting to have roll results of 7-8 equal two damage and results of 9-10 equal three points of damage. Tussling with 'monsters' would be very dangerous if they have higher dice values to use during contested rolls.

#169 Jonathan Strange

Jonathan Strange

Master

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:28 AM

New adventure "HeWho Laughs Last" is available: http://www.rpgnow.co...Who-Laughs-Last

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press Release