249 replies to this topic

#21 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

Enjoyed listening to this - you guys have a nice easy style. I think the Skype format works well as it seems to demand that you don't all talk at once. The sound quality is poor at times, but is generally fine. Looking forward to more.
The Good Friends of Jackson Elias : a Podcast about Call of Cthulhu.

#22 eyeharvester

eyeharvester

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationA fog-shrouded valley amongst mountain fastnesses

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

I'd just like to comment that I enjoyed listening to your 'cast a lot, and look forward to hearing more in the future. You've got a nice combination of casual style, on-topic focus, and genuine tension & creepiness. I hope that it was at least as much fun for you guys to play in it as it was to listen to!
"The Universe has no obligation to be reassuring."
--Anders Sandberg

#23 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:12 AM

Thanks, eyeharvester. We do enjoy it a lot. I think our group is very balanced and the guys have a similar sense of humor.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu

#24 boysmithers

boysmithers

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

I'd just like to comment that I enjoyed listening to your 'cast a lot, and look forward to hearing more in the future. You've got a nice combination of casual style, on-topic focus, and genuine tension & creepiness. I hope that it was at least as much fun for you guys to play in it as it was to listen to!

Cheers eyeharvester!
Are you a fan of BÖC by any chance?

#25 TravelerJim

TravelerJim

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

First session of The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island is now available.

004 - The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island 01

Providence, Rhode Island
Wednesday, May 28, 1924

A few pleasant months have passed for our friends, and the games of the VIII Olympiad are in full swing, when Mr. Ballentine receives a phone call and a job offer. It seems that a young girl has gone missing on Monhegan Island in Maine, and the police are unable - or unwilling - to look into her disappearance.

The friends assemble and travel to Maine, where they find out that Monhegan Island is not the tourist haven one would expect. Far from it, something is very wrong on the small, remote island.

Enjoy!

#26 TravelerJim

TravelerJim

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

The second session of The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island is now available.

005 - The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island 02

Providence, Rhode Island
Wednesday, June 04, 1924

The investigators have arrived on tiny Monhegan Island and met their host and his two rather unusual wards. But after a quick browse of the books in their host's reading room they begin to believe that all is not quite as it seems. Dinner is about to be served, and the team has already been distracted from their search for young Sara.

Confusion reigns as the investigators struggle to keep themselves focused on the search for poor, innocent Sara while being drawn further in to the mystery.

#27 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

The second session of The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island is now available.

Thanks, Jim! Something fishy is going on in this island.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

#28 TravelerJim

TravelerJim

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:48 PM

Session 3 of The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island is now available for your listening pleasure.

The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island 03

Personally I can not wait to see what happens in Part 4, this should be good.

Monhegan Island, Maine
Thursday, June 05, 1924

Sara Godwin is missing, and our investigators appear to be at a loss as to how to find her. And after throughly ransacking the Martensen household the mystery of Monhegan Island has only deepened.

Will our team of heros be able to help young Sara? Or is she doomed to whatever fate awaits her ... and perhaps our investigators as well. Surrounded by unfriendly locals and with no way off the island what can be done?

#29 TravelerJim

TravelerJim

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:12 PM

Session 4 of The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island is now available.

007 - The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island 04

Skype of Cthulu presents a Call of Cthulu scenario: The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island, by Gary Pilkington. Published by Grenadier Models, Inc. 1984.

Monhegan Island, Maine
Thursday, June 05, 1924

Blocked at every turn in their search for poor Sara Goodwin, our investigators decide that they must escape from Monhegan Island before their own lives are forfeit. Will their clever ruse succeed in transporting them to safety? And is Sara thus condemned to whatever fate has befallen her with no one to come to her rescue?

#30 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

My B-Day is on June 5th, not very kind of you, Jim, to treat my character and his friends on the way you did that day in my real time b-day. :D

#31 eyeharvester

eyeharvester

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationA fog-shrouded valley amongst mountain fastnesses

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

Cheers eyeharvester!
Are you a fan of BÖC by any chance?

Yes. =)

BTW, I know it's rather late to mention it, but Mainers all pronounce the name of the city near the mouth of the Penobscot as "Bang-Gore", not "Banger". Rather drove me up the wall listening to episode 004.
"The Universe has no obligation to be reassuring."
--Anders Sandberg

#32 boysmithers

boysmithers

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

Cool! For me they found the perfect mix of fancy prog bits and ass-kicking rocking and Joe Bouchard is one of my favourite bass players.

[Ahem, back on topic]

Yes, pronunciations can be a problem! Just as well the scenario wasn't set in "Poughkeepsie"

Will try and mention Bang-Gore in the last episode to make up!

#33 TravelerJim

TravelerJim

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

The thrilling conclusion to The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island!

008 - The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island 05

Monhegan Island, Maine
Thursday, June 05, 1924

After a dramatic, although perhaps ill-concieved, escape attempt the Investigators find themselves captured and at the mercy of the islanders. What are Mr. Martensen's intentions now? Can the Investigators find a way to break free of their captors? As is there no one else on the island to help?

#34 PaulFricker

PaulFricker

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

Yes. =)

BTW, I know it's rather late to mention it, but Mainers all pronounce the name of the city near the mouth of the Penobscot as "Bang-Gore", not "Banger". Rather drove me up the wall listening to episode 004.

Let's hope they don't have to travel from Magdalen ('maudlin') College to Edinburgh ('Edin-bruh') via Towcester ('toaster') and Loughborough ('luff-bruh') :)
The Good Friends of Jackson Elias : a Podcast about Call of Cthulhu.

#35 boysmithers

boysmithers

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:44 PM

Well Frank put quite a few points into Own Language (English) so he'll get by I think.

#36 Lady_Hawkeye

Lady_Hawkeye

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:08 AM

Hey guys,

Having just finished the last episode,I had to say that I am having a good time listening to the five of you.You have great chemistry together

Those new sound effects Jim where great and a good idea indeed.

I guess the only recommendation that I could make his to have your characters join a gym to learn boxing or judo or anything else but please gentlemen,I beg you to ditch the three stooges school of martial arts,it's just not working for you :P

Keep up the fun.I can't wait for next's week game as using childrens as characters will be interesting to listen.

Bye for now

Catherine
The Lady Hawkeye

#37 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for listening, I am glad that you are having fun.

I guess the only recommendation that I could make his to have your characters join a gym to learn boxing or judo or anything else but please gentlemen,I beg you to ditch the three stooges school of martial arts,it's just not working for you :P
Catherine
The Lady Hawkeye

Three Stooges School of Martial Arts....LOL....sounds about right.

#38 Dwarin

Dwarin

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

TravelerJim: mind tell me what setup you use for recording the Skype conversations and playing sound effects? I tried to use SpoliCall for recording and Pamela for Skype for sound effects but my voice (GM) just comes out of the left headphone and the players' voices come out of the right headphone (even though I configured the software for stereo) and it doesn't record the sound effects Pamela plays.

#39 TravelerJim

TravelerJim

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

... mind tell me what setup you use for recording the Skype conversations and playing sound effects?

Not a problem. For a cart machine - to play the sound effects, I use Soundboard. Excellent piece of software this, works really well. There is a (known) bug in the latest version, but I'll get to that in a second.

The output is then picked up by WireTap Anywhere. I have a device defined therein which mixes the Soundboard output and my microphone. This device is then set as the input source for Skype.

Finally, I use WireTap Studio to record two sources - one being the aforementioned WTA device, and the other being the Skype output. The two sources end up recorded as separate tracks, so I can fiddle the levels separately if need be.

It is possible with the latest version of Soundboard to do this without WireTap Anywhere - Soundboard can mix it's output with the microphone creating its own virtual device. This is where the bug I mentioned comes in though - there's a latency problem of up to a second or so at times, which you can hear in #008. I was trying exactly this configuration when recording it. Won't do that again until they get it fixed.

And before anyone asks - I have no connection to Ambrosia other than being a long-time satisfied customer.

#40 TravelerJim

TravelerJim

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:03 PM

After a week off due to adjusting work schedules, Skype of Cuthulu reunited last week for a one-off scenario, The Dare by Kevin Ross. Unfortunately there were some technical difficulties and the recording was lost ...

This week, we return to our regular campaign ...

009 - The Plantation 01

Alexandria, Virginia
Friday, September 05, 1924

The investigators take some time off after their harrowing escape from Monhegan Island, and reunite for a relaxing hunting trip in rural Virginia. Upon their return to Mr. Ratcliffe's home, they find two young boys waiting for them: Jason, a distant cousin of Mr. Ratcliffe's, and Joe, his friend. The two boys have <i>walked</i> all the way from South Carolina to enlist their help - Joe's sister and mother have been kidnapped, and evil cultists are hot on their trail.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press Release