249 replies to this topic

#1 TravelerJim

TravelerJim

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

So we've managed to get a group together to play CoC via Skype, and in the best of traditions are recording the sessions for podcast release. The first session was this past Sunday, and it is now available for your listening pleasure.

http://skypeofcuthulu.blogspot.com/

Skype of Cuthulu presents a Call of Cuthulu scenario: Mister Corbett, by Michael DeWolfe. From Mansions of Madness, published by Chaosim, Inc. 1990.

Providence, Rhode Island
Sunday, January 24, 1924

It is a cold, clear evening in Providence. Mr. William North, an elderly gentlemen and moderatley successful publisher is being visited by one of his authors Mr. Geoffrey Ratcliffe of Alexandra to discuss a new project. This particular evening, Mr. North has invited some of his acquaintances to a dinner party with Mr. Ratcliffe. Joining them are Dr. Gregory Larson, a successful psychiatrist from Arkham; Mr. Frank Ballentine, a local private investigator; and Mr. Terrence Williams, a local barber.

The evening starts out pleasant enough, until ...

#2 Butters

Butters

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

Cheers for this TravelerJim downloading now.Looking forward to hearing how it all plays out.

#3 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:54 PM

Thanks to Jim for putting this game and its resulting audio up, I had a lot of fun. It is interesting to notice the protocol of playing a Skype game. One of the things I noticed is that you do not want to interrupt the others, so there are times when there is only dead air, but the more interesting thing IMO is that it is more immersive than any other face to face game I had ever played before.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu

#4 JonHook

JonHook

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:21 PM

Hi Jim,

Can you do me a favor and post a direct link to the audio file? I'm on a Mac, and for some reason your blogspot site isn't formatting correctly, and I can't download the audio file to my computer.

Also, do you know if your game will eventually be posted to iTunes? I'd like to subscribe that way.

Thanks man.

#5 Elky

Elky

Neophyte

• 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:32 PM

..."genetics? what's that"... I've been listening to the audio since yesterday and I can't stop laughing, it's so interesting and you guys really give it a nice touch, great party.

#6 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

Hi Jim,

Can you do me a favor and post a direct link to the audio file?

Jon, if you right click the "Play Now" in this link you can save the target. There is also an "add to iTunes" link on the right hand side.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

#7 JonHook

JonHook

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

Jon, if you right click the "Play Now" in this link you can save the target. There is also an "add to iTunes" link on the right hand side.

Thanks man. I'm now subscribed via iTunes. Can't wait to listen.

#8 gatherer3

gatherer3

Master

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:18 AM

Thank you for posting this game. I've only just started role playing games and it's a whole new world.

#9 TravelerJim

TravelerJim

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:09 PM

We had our second session today, the audio will be up soon.

I'm definitely enjoying the play-by-skype paradigm. You have to be patient from time to time in dealing with the occasional audio quality problems and disconnects, but overall I'm pretty positive about the way this is working.

IMO is that it is more immersive than any other face to face game I had ever played before.

I noticed that as well. The game starts at 0600 for me, so it's dark out ... a bit chilly ... only the one light above my table is on ... and all is quiet. Really nice!

#10 TravelerJim

TravelerJim

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:48 PM

The second session of Mr. Corbett is now available.

002 - Mr. Corbett 02

Skype of Cuthulu presents a Call of Cuthulu scenario: Mister Corbett, by Michael DeWolfe. From Mansions of Madness, published by Chaosim, Inc. 1990.

Providence, Rhode Island
Monday, January 25, 1924

The early morning hours find our intrepid investigators in something of a pickle after a most eventful night. Mr. Williams and Bernard Corbett are waiting at the hospital for news on Mr. North's condition, who was taken ill during the night.

Meanwhile Mr. Ratcliffe, Mr. Ballentine, and Dr. Larson find themselves in police custody having been detained in somewhat suspicious circumstances around Mr. Corbett's home. They have managed to convince the officer that he can find Mr. Corbett at the hospital, and hope to clear everything up there.

But at the hospital, someone is waiting ...

#11 JonHook

JonHook

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:18 AM

Cool. I can't wait to listen to the second episode. My favorite part of the first episode is the no-holds-barred honesty with the cops. Fracking hilarious! :D

#12 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

My favorite part of the first episode is the no-holds-barred honesty with the cops.

It took us by surprise :)

#13 boysmithers

boysmithers

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

Thank you for posting this game. I've only just started role playing games and it's a whole new world.

Likewise!!!

#14 boysmithers

boysmithers

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

We had our second session today, the audio will be up soon.

I'm definitely enjoying the play-by-skype paradigm. You have to be patient from time to time in dealing with the occasional audio quality problems and disconnects, but overall I'm pretty positive about the way this is working.

I noticed that as well. The game starts at 0600 for me, so it's dark out ... a bit chilly ... only the one light above my table is on ... and all is quiet. Really nice!

Yes, not being able to see each other probably helps to visualize the other players and the scene! I was "in" Randolph Tomaszwhatever's apartment. Until Frank had to "step outside"

#15 TravelerJim

TravelerJim

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:23 AM

The third (and final) session of Mr. Corbitt is now up.

003 - Mr. Corbett 03

Providence, Rhode Island
Tuesday, January 26, 1924

Our fearless investigators, having now learned a great deal about the enigmatic Mr. Corbett and his history, determine that they must return to the Corbett home and confront the disturbing creature previously encountered.

Little do they know that another, far more terrifying horror awaits them.

#16 Butters

Butters

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:50 AM

Really enjoyed hearing you guys any plans for more in the future?
P.s Any tips ref using Skype.

Many thanks.

#17 TravelerJim

TravelerJim

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:00 AM

Yep, we'll be continuing next week with a new Scenario - The Horrible Secret of Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island - with the same characters.

P.s Any tips ref using Skype.

Be patient with the sound quality issues. It can take some fiddling for people to work out some problems (feedback, EMS noise, etc.). And be sure to defer to the other players, everyone can not talk at once. But with the right group, it works really well.

#18 Ilinx

Ilinx

Community Patron

• Patron
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed SoC, which has kept me intrigued and often chuckling away (when I'm supposed to working) over the past few days. So, thanks very much for sharing that! Looking forward to the next scenario.

Edited by Ilinx, 15 February 2011 - 10:18 AM.

#19 TravelerJim

TravelerJim

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:41 PM

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed SoC...

Thanks! Glad to know you (and the other's who have posted here and commented on the web site!) are enjoying it. We certainly are enjoying playing.

#20 Butters

Butters

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron+
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the reply looking forward to hearing from the guys again as they tackle one of the older scenarios.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Press Release