Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationShadowy Scotland

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

Cthulhu_Britannica_Scotland.jpg

Hi folks,

I've been getting quite a few private messages so I thought I would just say a word or two here.

This thread will update people on the release of Shadows Over Scotland.

I will pass along any and all updates here. :D

Cheers,
Stuart

Edited by StuartB, 02 March 2011 - 10:33 PM.

#2 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

Thanks Stuart. Would it be possible for a table of contents to be posted ahead of release, to whet people's appetites? As a Scot I'm really curious to know what's in this book :)

#3 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:37 PM

Hi, Yockenthwaite,

I'll check with Cubicle 7 on that one and get back to you. :)

#4 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:38 PM

I'll check with Cubicle 7 on that one and get back to you. :)

#5 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:04 AM

As requested, here is a content teaser:

In addition to 7 scenarios (see below), Shadows Over Scotland is very much intended to be a resource for Keepers. There is a wealth of information for creating Scottish scenarios here, including:

• An introduction to Scotland in the 1920s, setting the scene as it were
  • A brief history of Scotland: prehistory through to the 1920s including Mythos events and potential scenario seeds
  • A Mythos timeline from 350 million years ago to the 1920s, intertwining human and Mythos history (and more scenario seeds)
  • Information on notable figures of 1920s Scotland, getting around, currency and the lingo (from Alba to Zoomer)
  • New eldritch spells, vile tomes, useful/dangerous items and unique Mythos entities
  • References for further reading

Shadows Over Scotland breaks the country down into three regions: Lowlands, Highlands, Islands. Each of these includes detailed information on:

• Geography & travel
  • Culture & people, including Mythos cults
  • Flora & fauna
  • Climate & weather
  • Full and detailed Mythos descriptions, focusing on intrigues, introductions, investigations and revelations

As well as discussions of known Mythos cultures and creatures, the book introduces a large number of unique Mythos entities, such as:

• ‘Old Maggie’, the Crone of Appin Hill
  • The Thing in the Clyde
  • Sawney Bean
  • The Blue Men of the Minch
  • Bishop Warlock
  • The Floating Horror of Glen Affric
  • ... and others too horrible to mention!

For each region, three 'Cities in Detail' are provided with further discussion of locations, personalities, and Mythos elements. These are:

• Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews for the Lowlands;
  • Aberdeen, Inverness and Fort William for the Highlands;
  • Kirkwall, Portree, and Stornoway for the Islands

Finally, the seven scenarios in the book are:

Death and Horror Incorporated

A string of nightmarish incidents in Glasgow’s East End leads investigators to Glasgow Cathedral, HM Duke Street Prison, the Royal Infirmary, and the Necropolis—all situated within a mile of each other—to uncover a dark nexus of evil.

The Hand of Abyzou

When an old friend ends up in an Edinburgh asylum raving about witchcraft and the end of the world, investigators must uncover the mystery of the ‘Sleepers’ and venture into Edinburgh’s catacombs to face an ancient terror that must never wake.

Uisge Beatha (“The Water of Life”)

A new young laird from America gets more than he bargained for when he visits the ancient whiskey distillery on his land. The investigators receive a frosty reception from the locals, and discover there truly is ‘something in the water.’

Heed The Kraken’s Call

Determined to plumb the depths of Loch Ness, Norway’s celebrated naval explorer Erik Øland arrives in Inverness bound for the world’s deepest loch. But when his purpose-built ship, The Kraken, is set alight in the Moray Firth that same evening and Øland is found murdered in his hotel room, investigators are called in to look into the mystery.

The Forbidden Isle

With plans of turning the island into a luxurious playground for Britain’s rich and famous, Sir George Bullough invites the investigators to the Western Isle of Rúm to discover why neighbouring islanders refuse to set foot on ‘The Forbidden Isle’ and what nameless horror has claimed the island for its home.

Star Seed

Archaeologist John McNamara invites the investigators to Skara Brae to confer on a strange artefact he’s discovered. If he’s right, there might have been a very, very good reason why the settlement was abandoned so suddenly millennia ago. Worse than that, it would appear the stars are aligning once more and that the same ‘reason’ might well be returning from the depths of timeless space.

The Ballad of Bass Rock

When a leisure cruise out to Bass Rock goes awry and a summer thunderstorm traps the investigators on the barren island with only a ruined castle and a run-down lighthouse as shelter, things can’t seem to get much worse. But as the storm rages on into the black night, they discover just how wrong they are.

[ATTACH]1104[/ATTACH]

Hope that whets your appetite! :D

Attached Thumbnails

• Cthulhu_Britannica_Scotland.jpg

Edited by StuartB, 18 December 2010 - 07:12 PM.

#6 GHill

GHill

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:00 AM

What a lovely cover, very pretty and nicely understated.

#7 Noble

Noble

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

I am so looking forward to getting my sticky paws on this one.
The static in my mind, leaves me hollow and unkind.

#8 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

Looks great. Thanks! I'm particularly intrigued by some of those scenarios.

#9 jorune

jorune

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

This looks fab, looking forward to it.

#10 Noble

Noble

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

I think it could only be improved by having a free CD of Andy Stewart singing, "Donald where's your trooser's"

The static in my mind, leaves me hollow and unkind.

#11 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:21 AM

I think it could only be improved by having a free CD of Andy Stewart singing, "Donald where's your trooser's"

Goodness... I think you are right!

Thanks for the positive comments, yoggies! :D

#12 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:27 PM

Just a quick update...

The folks at Cubicle 7 sent along some of the artwork for Shadows Over Scotland to me today and I can tell you I am hugely impressed.

Some amazingly evocative and atmospheric stuff (e.g. people, city scenes, stunning vistas), some wonderful character pieces (incredible to see Sawney Bean and Salty Bob come to life!) and great cosmic horror thrown (e.g. invocations, ravening cultists, mind-bending monsters and eldritch revelations).

In short, it's going to be a real treat to see this in February/March. :)

And, yes, we're on track as we head into Christmas.

Edited by StuartB, 11 February 2011 - 10:26 AM.

#13 Garry G

Garry G

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

So Dundee gets looked over in favour of the 'city' of St Andrews. I'm disappointed but not overly surprised by this even though Dundee was at its height during this period what with the jute trade, being a leader in trade unionism, journalism and other stuff. To be fair it was only a city for 700 years at that point which is barely a moment compared to the length of time that St Andrews has held that distinction.

I think I'll pass on this one.

#14 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:04 AM

Stuart, do you know if there are tie-ins and/or references to past CoC adventures or sourcebooks? All the goings-on in Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, for example.
Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#15 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:19 AM

Stuart, do you know if there are tie-ins and/or references to past CoC adventures or sourcebooks? All the goings-on in Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, for example.

Hi, Badger,

One of my remits was to make the sourcebook as open a framework as possible. That is, to allow Keepers to pick, mix, choose, and otherwise slot in characters, locations, events, and whole scenarios wherever and whenever they like. The Cannich section of Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, as you rightly point out, provides a perfect opportunity to include other characters/creatures/events/scenarios as characters travel throughout the Highlands. There are a number of possibilities in Inverness and in the Great Glen that could coincide with the Cannich adventure.

That said and to answer your question, tie-ins are implicit rather than explicit, although explicit references are made to the CoC rulebook and Malleus Monstrorum as resources. A central philosophy behind the book is that the Keeper holds all the power, especially in any choices, connections and decisions made. Apart from the 7 scenarios provided, Shadows Over Scotland is very much a sourcebook and 'toolbox' for Keepers to create their own unique story/adventure arcs and scenarios. My intention is always to empower Keepers.

#16 StuartB

StuartB

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:51 AM

So Dundee gets looked over ... I think I'll pass on this one.

Garry, welcome to Yog-Sothoth :)

Dundee is indeed fortunate to have such fans. Given time and a limitless word count I would have loved to include all the villages, towns, burghs, and cities of Scotland. No word of a lie. Each has stories to tell.

Edited by StuartB, 17 December 2010 - 09:35 PM.

#17 Danharms

Danharms

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:37 PM

So Dundee gets looked over in favour of the 'city' of St Andrews. I'm disappointed but not overly surprised by this even though Dundee was at its height during this period what with the jute trade, being a leader in trade unionism, journalism and other stuff. To be fair it was only a city for 700 years at that point which is barely a moment compared to the length of time that St Andrews has held that distinction.

I think I'll pass on this one.

I agree - when I get a Call of Cthulhu sourcebook for a location, I always turn to the index first for its coverage of trade unions and jute.

#18 Max Schreck

Max Schreck

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

I agree - when I get a Call of Cthulhu sourcebook for a location, I always turn to the index first for its coverage of trade unions and jute.

Oh, Dan, you crack me up.
:D
"How can I believe in a pig that talks?"

#19 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:39 AM

Stuart, thanks for the great response. I'm not hoping for extensive write ups of other bits previously used in other books, but it's always neat to see acknowledgement of prior works. It helps lend a feeling interconnection, which helps build a better foundation for the world that we're creating in the game.
Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#20 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

I have my Feb hobby-money saved for this one :D ( although I was planning to create an investigator from the jute trade, I will have to wiki-it now...)
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu