158 replies to this topic

#41 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:32 AM

Any new incidents? I imagine that by this time, the credit card fraud investigators would have had time to figure out that there was a nexus of events after a transaction? My credit card company was good enough to credit me, but I also feel that Chaosium has to say something to its loyal customers. I don't expect a grovelly apology, but please guys, say something.

#42 Gil_Trevizo

Gil_Trevizo

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:52 AM

My credit card company was good enough to credit me, but I also feel that Chaosium has to say something to its loyal customers. I don't expect a grovelly apology, but please guys, say something.

Although I thankfully haven't (yet) been hit, I don't think there's anything that Chaosium could say that would motivate me to purchase from their website again. Based on so many accounts of false charges, there's no way I'm going risk using the site and really wish there was some way that I could scrub whatever information I've already given Chaosium in my transactions with them. Now, I am in the lucky spot that I live in the Bay Area, and I always see the Chaosium booth at three gaming conventions every year; so, I don't usually need the website to get monographs, which seems to be the only thing that Chaosium sells on their website that isn't available thru Amazon. That said, even if I were to move or there was some special purchase that could only be made through the website (i.e. a limited special version of CoC 7th edition), I don't think I could ever trust Chaosium seeing as how threadbare an operation it seems. I'd like to think Paypal transactions would be secure with them, but I just don't know.

#43 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:01 AM

I'd just like them to acknowledge if there is a problem, and let us know when it has been fixed. At the moment it's a case of silence, despite lots and lots of people reporting problems.

I can't buy from Chaosium directly, other than through mail order. And I buy a lot of PDFs, which sometimes are only available from Chaosium directly and not from RPGNow etc.

I would like to buy from them again. But having been stung once, and possibly through their website, I'm very wary.

#44 GHill

GHill

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

When I saw this thread's start date, my first thought was I wonder how they resolved it? I'm rather surprised there hasn't been any kind of response from Chaosium.

[Edit] then immediately after posting I wondered whether any acknowledgement by Chaosium might be taken by the credit card companies as an admission.

As I understand it the Credit Card companies will always try to hang any fraud related losses on the retailer.

As such I suspect you probably shouldn't expect to hear anything from Chaosium.

Edited by GHill, 06 December 2010 - 12:30 PM.
sudden realisation.

#45 jasonw1239

jasonw1239

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB Canada

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

As a monograph author I am troubled by this whole situation.
The online shop is the only channel for sales of the monographs.
As buyer confidence evaporates it will have a series impact on monograph sales.
At the very least Chaosium should take steps to secure the site and make an announcement about actions they are taking to increase security of their ordering and checkout process.

Jason Williams

Author of Secrets of Tibet & scenario author in Tales of the Caribbean from GGP

#46 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:10 PM

Even if they won't admit anything that could lead to liability Chaosium need to reassure their customers to rebuild confidence. Saying nothing isn't a viable option IMHO.

#47 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:16 PM

Guess what I got from today from a CC I used on Chaosium a few weeks ago? Yep, a fraud alert. :(

#48 Xipuloxx

Xipuloxx

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:06 PM

As a monograph author I am troubled by this whole situation.
The online shop is the only channel for sales of the monographs.
As buyer confidence evaporates it will have a series impact on monograph sales.
At the very least Chaosium should take steps to secure the site and make an announcement about actions they are taking to increase security of their ordering and checkout process.

Even if they won't admit anything that could lead to liability Chaosium need to reassure their customers to rebuild confidence. Saying nothing isn't a viable option IMHO.

I have to say, this is all very alarming to me. I've never bought anything from Chaosium's website, but I was planning to. Now? No chance! They really aren't doing themselves any favours by not publicly addressing this.

Perhaps those of you who've contacted them and received no reply should let them know about this thread. If they realise how bad it looks they might post here or something!
Fear Me, for I am Quaadzelaan Xipuloxx! All hail Xipuloxx the Unsound!

(But you can call me Mark.)

#49 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:12 PM

I'll say that I did contact them and received a reply that they are working on the issue. I don't feel comfortable saying more than that, but suffice to say they are dealing with the issue.

#50 sraymonds

sraymonds

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

Just going out and publicly stating that they are looking into the problem would go a long way to assuage the fears of potential customers. As it is right now, I’m checking my bank account every other day despite having used Paypal for my last few purchases.

#51 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

Perhaps those of you who've contacted them and received no reply should let them know about this thread. If they realise how bad it looks they might post here or something!

I included a link to this thread in the 2 emails I sent on 30th November ...

#52 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

I'll say that I did contact them and received a reply that they are working on the issue. I don't feel comfortable saying more than that, but suffice to say they are dealing with the issue.

#53 Xipuloxx

Xipuloxx

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

I included a link to this thread in the 2 emails I sent on 30th November ...

Ah, fair enough then. Though perhaps they haven't looked here and don't realise how many people are reading about it, and how it's affecting their reputation.

Also thanks to trevlix for the info that they are actually looking into it, it's just a shame they couldn't announce that here!

btw (and off-topic) to yockenthwaite: I believe we've met before on a certain Doctor Who forum. I'll just say "Dark They Were, And Golden-Eyed"! ;) Did it turn out to be the story you were looking for?
Fear Me, for I am Quaadzelaan Xipuloxx! All hail Xipuloxx the Unsound!

(But you can call me Mark.)

#54 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

btw (and off-topic) to yockenthwaite: I believe we've met before on a certain Doctor Who forum. I'll just say "Dark They Were, And Golden-Eyed"! ;) Did it turn out to be the story you were looking for?

Yes that's me :) I have the book with the short story in beside my chair. It's the right one.

#55 K_Peterson

K_Peterson

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:25 AM

Has anyone who used Paypal at the Chaosium store been hit by fraudulent charges? I've been checking my Paypal and bank account daily, over the past week, and haven't seen anything suspicious yet.

#56 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:39 AM

Has anyone who used Paypal at the Chaosium store been hit by fraudulent charges? I've been checking my Paypal and bank account daily, over the past week, and haven't seen anything suspicious yet.

I used Paypal, no hits.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu

#57 patrick1971

patrick1971

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:02 AM

Not yet... Putting in another order January, we'll see if anything happens then. But I will always use paypal from now on... and change my password once I'm done

#58 Arquebus

Arquebus

Neophyte

• 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

I got hit in the beginning of May this year after purchasing from various, online stores, including Chaosium and the again this fall on a cc only used once on, you guessed it, Chaosium.com. Emailed them and got no reply. Good thing this has come to the ligth of day here on the forum.

just have to say one thing to the public: DO NOT USE YOUR CREDIT CARD AT CHAOSIUM.COM

#59 Sefton

Sefton

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:06 PM

Ok I was also wondering how I got hit, but now I suppose I do have an answer. Sad :(. Second time this year I have to change my credit card.

#60 TheHistorian

TheHistorian

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

One person said they had, but that shouldn't really be possible, so I don't quite get it. My recent purchase of MoN hc was via paypal and I've had no problems.