158 replies to this topic

#21 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

I'm sorry to hear that so many people have been affected by this.
Chaosium must be horrified.

They should, with X-mass around the corner, not good to have a security breach. Worst of all, I bet their core buyers are all reading this thread, meaning the yoggies.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu

#22 AJKM

AJKM

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Old Patron
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

I brought quite a few things from Chaosium in the sale over the weekend. Although no illegal charges have occured, I have cancelled my card anyway and am getting a new one issued. It's a wee bit of a pain, but not a huge drama. Just means I'll be without one for a few days.

It sucks for Chaosium though. It means even I, who wasn't stung, will think twice before ordering in the future. And it may add to the delivery time as well.

#23 Fallorn

Fallorn

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

I ordered stuff for my Secret Shoggoth victim this last Sunday. No fraudulant charges are appearing as of yet (*fingers crossed*), but I'll definitely be checking it out periodically to make sure.
Be Seeing You,
Fallorn

#24 neorxnawang

neorxnawang

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

Strangely, this happened to me as well and I am now on a new card. Same pattern, but thankfully the card company blocked everything. I didn't even consider that it might be Chaosium's site. This sort of thing never happens to me so it was a bit of an unpleasant novelty.

#25 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

Master

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:34 PM

Same here. I ordered MoN HB when announced and next thing I know is letter from CC co saying they have some suspicious transactions. TFL congestion charge. Not very expensive. Card cancelled and reissued.

I did wonder at the time. I guess I was right. Its a shame for Chaosium.

#26 Radical Therapy

Radical Therapy

Master

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:47 PM

Thank you everyone for alerting the boards to this problem; I purchased a monograph from Chaosium recently and have just sent for a new card before any unsavory charges could be made.

#27 Frank2769

Frank2769

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:26 PM

I ordered via Paypal and had two unauthorized transactions since the purchase. I wrote to Charlie and they are looking into it. Has anyone else here contacted them directly besides me?

#28 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,403 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:36 PM

Were those two unauthorised PayPal transactions or two transactions dealing straight with your credit card?

#29 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:47 PM

I wrote to Charlie and they are looking into it. Has anyone else here contacted them directly besides me?

Lots of us have contacted them (see earlier posts in this thread). I emailed Charlie and Customer Services but haven't had any reply. I'm just glad they know about it.

#30 Frank2769

Frank2769

Master

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

They were unauthorized Paypal transactions and were not related to a credit card at all. It may be just a coincidence but I just wanted to chime in and see if anyone else had a similar problem. I have always used Paypal with Chaosium and never had a problem. I can't even say that it's their fault at all. In the meantime I scrubbed my pc clean and have an Elder Sign as my wallpaper to keep the Great Old Ones from messing with my limited finances.

#31 cjearkham

cjearkham

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:50 PM

They were unauthorized Paypal transactions and were not related to a credit card at all. It may be just a coincidence but I just wanted to chime in and see if anyone else had a similar problem.

FYI, I ordered on the 21st and paid with credit card via PayPal. No transactions since then.
Chris Jarocha-Ernst
Hagiographer of the Cthulhu Mythos

#32 Af

Af

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:52 AM

What does Chaosium have to say about this?

#33 yockenthwaite

yockenthwaite

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationDundee, Scotland

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:07 PM

What does Chaosium have to say about this?

No idea. They haven't replied to my emails (of 30th November) at all. And sorry folks, but phoning up isn't an option for me, not just because I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

I'm really hoping they are investigating things, and fixing what appears to be a big security hole.

#34 Af

Af

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:16 PM

No idea. They haven't replied to my emails (of 30th November) at all. And sorry folks, but phoning up isn't an option for me, not just because I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

I'm really hoping they are investigating things, and fixing what appears to be a big security hole.

I was hoping to buy some printed monographs, but since the site is probably insecure I may have to settle for some pdfs purchased elsewhere. I've e mailed Dustin. If I get any reply I'll post it here.

#35 Af

Af

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:26 PM

...Leaving this issue to fester will just undermine confidence in their online store and force people to take their business elsewhere (Amazon.com).

I wish that Chaosium would sell printed monographs through Amazon.com and Amazon UK. I'd buy much more from them if they did.

#36 FunGuyfromYuggoth

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Greater Independent

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

No response from them on the issue, but they delivered my order in record time. I am quite happy about that!

Posted Image

#37 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

c'mon Chaos dudes! Confidence is the key to business! answer an e-mail!

#38 lawrenson

lawrenson

Master

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:11 PM

Hi,
not sure how Paypal can have unauthorized transactions?

Did you set some invoices sent to you, to pay?

Cheers,
Karen

#39 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

Has anyone with stolen card info tried calling Chaosium? What has been their response?

#40 Tristan

Tristan

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

Same issue here for an order done mid-September. I discovered one week later that that very same day, my card got charged by 600 euros by an online travel agency - I didn't connect both events then, since the fraud was from inside the EU, but looking at this thread, I guess it's impossible to doubt.