• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#41 Xipuloxx

Xipuloxx

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:46 PM

Ooh ouch. Tricky territory here. Do we want to say you can't use this book unless you get Secrets too?

You should be able to use one without having the other.

I'm certainly not saying you should need one book to use the other. Do you need the Lovecraft country sourcebooks (Arkham, Kingsport, Dunwich, Innsmouth) to use More Adventures in Arkham Country or New Tales of the Miskatonic Valley? Instead, they're designed so you have everything you need, but if you have the sourcebooks as well you can use them to flesh the scenarios out. Information is only duplicated if it's directly relevant to a scenario.

Well, this is a collection of scenarios, not a source book. Tom and I felt it would be helpful to include some source material for gaming in NYC, however there is little point in repeating what is already in Secrets of New York. No, you will not need one book to fully utilize the other: the one will simply compliment the other.

This sounds eminently sensible! If there's info you feel needs to be included to make the scenarios work properly, it should of course be included. But I'd be annoyed at paying for a book and finding it duplicates a lot of stuff I already paid for.

It might be worth bearing in mind that the German version of Secrets of New York adds a chapter on organised crime, as this is an element of life in 1920s New York that the Germans apparently thought was neglected in the Chaosium version. Maybe you should address this perceived shortcoming in your book?

That would be cool. I don't know if it's possible, but I'd certainly like to see such info. I think CoC books have been pretty lacking in info on organised crime generally. Though as Scott points out, this isn't a sourcebook, and I wouldn't want it to get bogged down in such things.
Fear Me, for I am Quaadzelaan Xipuloxx! All hail Xipuloxx the Unsound!

(But you can call me Mark.)

#42 nightserpent

nightserpent

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

I was out of town just after Tom posted the art until now- thanks for the kind words about the cover art everyone! I had a good time with that piece.

#43 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:25 PM

I was out of town just after Tom posted the art until now- thanks for the kind words about the cover art everyone! I had a good time with that piece.

Oh, it shows...it shows.:twisted:
Tom Lynch
President & Managing Editor
Miskatonic River Press

#44 sda

sda

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe House of Secrets

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

I have on my desk five of the seven scenarios for the book. Edits are out on the first two, with the edits on the others going out soon. This is going to be an exciting book chock full of Mythos goodness.
Scott David Aniolowski, Master of the Malleus Monstrorum

#45 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

As I get myself excited by this project, looking at the writers and artists involved, I realized I needed a new background on my computer monitor. I'll share it here in case anyone else would like to join me. :cool:

Attached Thumbnails

• TSC-Wallpaper-1.jpg

Tom Lynch
Miskatonic River Press

#46 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:30 PM

Of course, that has reduced the image size. :evil:

I've posted that wallpaper and another I've made on the bottom of the Downloads Page of the MRP site.

Prefer to go directly? That's fine:
Wallpaper 1
Wallpaper 2

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Iä! Paul Carrick!
Tom Lynch
Miskatonic River Press

#47 Dstack1776

Dstack1776

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAbout an hour away from Lovecraft Country

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:50 PM

As a former New Yorker who is about to launch a campaign in the city this makes me happy. Do the scenarios have a default year? And will there be Trail of Cthulhu rules? I was rather pleased to find them in More Adventures in Arkham Country.

Edited by Dstack1776, 20 November 2010 - 10:51 PM.
Unable to spell

#48 Lisa

Lisa

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:00 AM

Tasty! And let me know if you need an extra pair of eyes giving the book a once over.

#49 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:10 AM

As a former New Yorker who is about to launch a campaign in the city this makes me happy. Do the scenarios have a default year? And will there be Trail of Cthulhu rules? I was rather pleased to find them in More Adventures in Arkham Country.

I do not believe there is a set year in the scenarios, but they're not all complete yet, so don't quote me on that. Hopefully we can include Trail rules again, because most seemed to like having them in there, so we shall see.

Tasty! And let me know if you need an extra pair of eyes giving the book a once over.

Extra sets of eyes never hurt. :-D
Tom Lynch
Miskatonic River Press

#50 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:20 PM

The very first play test took place over the weekend. A great game, which we finished in one long session. Very creepy. Everyone had a wonderful time.
Founder of Golden Goblin Press : Golden Goblin Press
Check out my Blog : Oscar Rios - Minion of Cthulhu

#51 sda

sda

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe House of Secrets

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

I am knee-deep in copy editing the wonderful scenarios and the preliminary sketches for the first pieces of art are in, so we're moving along. This is going to be a fun, BLOODY book! Lots of nasty Mythos goodness here.
Scott David Aniolowski, Master of the Malleus Monstrorum

#52 Cthulhudude

Cthulhudude

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

Great news, Scott. Can't wait to see it in the flesh...er, paper.
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos.
Know Nyarlathotep, know chaos.

#53 HomoLupusDomesticus

HomoLupusDomesticus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:55 PM

Just when I kind of decided that, apart from the new Keeper's screen, my collection of CoC was complete you come up with this!

RPGbericht (Dutch)

#54 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:26 AM

And the playtests of two of the scenarios went swimmingly at MythosCon. :cool:
Tom Lynch
Miskatonic River Press

#55 Danharms

Danharms

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:38 AM

I do not believe there is a set year in the scenarios, but they're not all complete yet, so don't quote me on that.

Mine is written around a specific incident, so it's best run in 1928. If the Keeper wishes to move it, I think only NYC history buffs will notice the change.

#56 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:35 PM

And while our copy editors are knee deep in reviewing The Legacy of Arrius Lurco, I'm ecstatic to report that final art has begun to come in for Tales of the Sleepless City! Iä!
Tom Lynch
Miskatonic River Press

#57 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

Nice! What's the ET for the pre-order? Not that I am eager, I couldn't do it now, but just wondering to plan ahead.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu

#58 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:05 AM

Nice! What's the ET for the pre-order? Not that I am eager, I couldn't do it now, but just wondering to plan ahead.

Good question. At the risk of becoming famous for vaporware, we're going to put out the two books we have up for preorder first. Those should both be out this spring. I would look to throw more money at us by summer, for a fall release of Sleepless City.
Tom Lynch
Miskatonic River Press

#59 Cthulhudude

Cthulhudude

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:43 AM

Yay! So when do we get to see a ToC for this? :)
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos.
Know Nyarlathotep, know chaos.

#60 Dstack1776

Dstack1776

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• Patron
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAbout an hour away from Lovecraft Country

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:46 AM

Fall? But I want it now!!!!!

Or at least tomorrow. :)

Seriously though this looks like great fun. My group is going through a ton of real life issues which has made consistent attendance an impossibility. As luck has had it, a game centered around a small detective agency in NYC has proven perfect for my group. Even explaining missing or dropping in characters in multi-part stories has proven easy.