President & Managing Editor
Miskatonic River Press

#22 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:50 AM

As a non~New Yorker.... What building is that?

#23 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:51 AM

As a non~New Yorker.... What building is that?

Steff...you saw Ghostbusters, didn't you? That's the main branch of the New York Public Library!
Tom Lynch
Miskatonic River Press

#24 sda

sda

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe House of Secrets

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:51 AM

Oh, and Scott...niiiice avatar! :-D

Figured I may as well make it official....

And YES, Ia! Ia! Paul Carrick ftaghn!
Scott David Aniolowski, Master of the Malleus Monstrorum

#25 Dr_Locrian

Dr_Locrian

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

Oooh! Shiny. My slight disappointment that Santiago Caruso wouldn't be doing the cover is completely gone--Paul Carrick is my other favorite CoC artist.

#26 christian

christian

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

Its' a great cover
christian lehmann

#27 red_bus

red_bus

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

Awesome news guys - is it too much to hope for that there will be links (at least acknowledegement) to existing NYC scenarios like those in DoTB and Masks?

I think that sounds like a good idea. While I am sure it would be a pain to try and link to many (all!) published NYC set scenarios (and not something to be recommended), it would be really good to have some linkage or even reference made to Masks Chapter 1.

#28 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:44 AM

Oh, and Scott...niiiice avatar! :-D

Two (or more) can play that game!

Also: Huzzah for Paul doing the cover! It's about time you two got to work together on something CoC related. :D
Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#29 Iohannes

Iohannes

Knight of the Outer Void

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

While we're all eagerly waiting for this book, may I recommend Diane Duane's novel So You Want to Be a Wizard? (first in a series) -- which also takes place in NYC, and (though not Cthulhu Mythos) is both High Myth and in passages very dark and nightmarish. Not a children's story, this is rated "Young Adult."

I should think the whole Trail of Cthulhu / GUMSHOE system lent itself to an urban/noir setting, looking for Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe to walk these mean streets and kick some tentacled ass. Meanwhile the urban fantasy of writers from Charles de Lint to John M. Ford has been slumming in the urbanized Elflands, but every so often slouching R'lyehwards. Surely some sort of collision was inevitable....

Posted Image
It is my considered opinion that we have entered the realm of myth and fantasy,
without ticket or passport or any clear idea of our final destination.
-- Mr. Moon

#30 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

Two (or more) can play that game!

I *love* it! Thanks, Bud!

Also: Huzzah for Paul doing the cover! It's about time you two got to work together on something CoC related. :D

Indeed. Having known Paul for...crap...almost 25 years (We met when we were teenagers. Honest!), a professional collaboration is long overdue...I'm just glad we've gotten to do it...and man, what a COVER.
Tom Lynch
Miskatonic River Press

#31 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

Okay, so more news.

I have to say what a pleasure it is to work with a professional editor on this project! I love calling Scott up and harassing him. :D Seriously, though, between the two of us we just generated a bunch of ideas for the book!

Item #1:
A chapter on New York. This would be all about the city itself. Who's there, what it's like, getting around in it (the various subway systems in the days before the Metropolitan Transit Authority...complete with maps). This would include the culture of the time, and what it was like to live in the midst of it all.

Item #2:
Scenario Seeds! Did you like the book? Wanna play more? Wanna start a New York-based campaign? Here are some thoughts! Several seed-thoughts jumped right out at us during the conversation, so watch for that.

Scott also confirmed that we'll be mentioning the other scenarios out there that take place in NYC. But here's a question to those with larger libraries than myself...other than Masks and the NY Source book, what is there that is New York based? Anyone?
Tom Lynch
Miskatonic River Press

#32 Xipuloxx

Xipuloxx

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

Hi! First I'd like to say that this book sounds great already, and the cover art is a thing of beauty. Having liked NTOTMV and fallen in pathetic drooling love with MAIAC (the handouts helped a lot with that, kudos to Mr. Leman), I've become eager to see more classic-era stuff from MRP!

Item #1:
A chapter on New York. This would be all about the city itself. Who's there, what it's like, getting around in it (the various subway systems in the days before the Metropolitan Transit Authority...complete with maps). This would include the culture of the time, and what it was like to live in the midst of it all.

I'm not sure about this; isn't it covered in Secrets of New York? I haven't read that book, so if it isn't, please ignore me! But if it is, duplicating that info seems like a waste of space to me.

Item #2:
Scenario Seeds! Did you like the book? Wanna play more? Wanna start a New York-based campaign? Here are some thoughts! Several seed-thoughts jumped right out at us during the conversation, so watch for that.

Scott also confirmed that we'll be mentioning the other scenarios out there that take place in NYC. But here's a question to those with larger libraries than myself...other than Masks and the NY Source book, what is there that is New York based? Anyone?

"The Dreamer", from Day of the Beast / Curse of Cthulhu / Fungi From Yuggoth is the only one I can think of.

And story seeds are never a bad idea, though I wouldn't want them to take up more than a page or so.
Fear Me, for I am Quaadzelaan Xipuloxx! All hail Xipuloxx the Unsound!

(But you can call me Mark.)

#33 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

Classic era scenarios:

"Look to the Future" (Shadows of Yog-Sothoth)

"Only after Dark" (from the Book of Dark Wisdom #1), combined with the article on Greenwich Village, both cut from SoNY

"Lurker in the Crypt" (Fatal Experiments)- great cult group, but far too much a dungeon crawl

"Restoration of Evil" (CoC Keeper's Screen)- Red Hook

The Cold Case of Robert Suydam- ditto

"Song of the Spheres" (In the Shadows)- evil musicians, underrated scenario in my opinion

"Last Stand at Fat Maybelle's" and "What if Carlyle Sells the Books" (forthcoming in the MoN Companion; short scenarios/encounters, both by Mike Czaplinski)

"Sense of Slight of Hand Man" (Worlds of Cthulhu #6, part 1 only, also from Dennis Detwiller himself, see link)- starts in NYC

(also- his villains in "Call of Duty" are relocated Gothamites)

Probably more- I'll edit this list if I can recall any others (I know "The Scuttling" as a brief Gaslight visit, for example)

Edited by WinstonP, 13 October 2010 - 03:53 PM.
remembered more!

#34 Xipuloxx

Xipuloxx

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

"Restoration of Evil" (CoC Keeper's Screen)- Red Hook

The Cold Case of Robert Suydam- ditto

*Kicks self in head for forgetting those two*

"Only after Dark" (from the Book of Dark Wisdom #1), combined with the article on Greenwich Village, both cut from SoNY

"Song of the Spheres" (In the Shadows)- evil musicians, underrated scenario in my opinion

And I really should have remembered those as well, having read them both fairly recently! Mr.Brain just isn't at home today. :oops:

I agree with you re: Song of the Spheres, btw. (Though it's just one evil musician,isn't it?)
Fear Me, for I am Quaadzelaan Xipuloxx! All hail Xipuloxx the Unsound!

(But you can call me Mark.)

#35 sda

sda

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:06 PM

Secrets of New York does, indeed, cover all of the things Tom and I were discussing, so no need to reprint the material here.

Two of the scenarios have begun author rewrites, so the ball is moving.

#36 StagLord

StagLord

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

In addition to winstonp's list - the Chaugnar Faugn story from Curse of the Cthonians is set in NY.

Lurker in the Crypt is probably a failure as a scenario - but the Bishops are great villains. More to the point: the author in that piece uses the NY Pillar-Riposteas the newspaper of record for handouts.

The same Pillar-Riposte that appears in Chapter I of Masks. Little touches like that serve as connective tissue between scenarios and really make the campaign game world seem alive.

#37 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:07 AM

:shock: I can't believe no one's mentioned Beyond the Mountains of Madness yet!
Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#38 Iohannes

Iohannes

Knight of the Outer Void

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:56 AM

I'm not sure about this; isn't it covered in Secrets of New York? I haven't read that book, so if it isn't, please ignore me! But if it is, duplicating that info seems like a waste of space to me.

Ooh ouch. Tricky territory here. Do we want to say you can't use this book unless you get Secrets too?

You should be able to use one without having the other.

But then again...{wild eyes gleaming} having both should confer some extra benefit, by cross-reference.

Every so often, a path traced in Secrets should be crossed in Sleepless... and that shift in perspective should reveal something.

At least the intersection point -- be it a street crossing, a newstand, a café, a motel room, or a particular bus or subway car -- would be knowable only to someone who'd read both books. What changed there, what it meant, where it led... there's the story hook.
It is my considered opinion that we have entered the realm of myth and fantasy,
without ticket or passport or any clear idea of our final destination.
-- Mr. Moon

#39 GreveMagnus

GreveMagnus

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

It might be worth bearing in mind that the German version of Secrets of New York adds a chapter on organised crime, as this is an element of life in 1920s New York that the Germans apparently thought was neglected in the Chaosium version. Maybe you should address this perceived shortcoming in your book?

#40 sda

sda

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

Well, this is a collection of scenarios, not a source book. Tom and I felt it would be helpful to include some source material for gaming in NYC, however there is little point in repeating what is already in Secrets of New York. No, you will not need one book to fully utilize the other: the one will simply compliment the other.