41 replies to this topic

#21 Nemo235

Nemo235

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:30 AM

Hey Paul,
Sent you a message on my plan to reformat the ~Tome Seeker~ list.
My theory is it got lost in cyberspace because there were too many characters per post.
So I'm going to work on getting it up and running again.
I hope it helps people find books they really enjoy.
It's my contribution to Ol' Yoggie, since I'm not a patron yet.
Please check out my Deviant Art gallery at:
http://nemo235.deviantart.com/gallery/

#22 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

Thank you. Message received! :)

#23 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:13 PM

We're currently considering amalgamating the Publisher forums on YSDC into a single forum for use by all Cthulhu publishers

There are a number of possible advantages to this:

1) It makes the Publisher forum area appear more active with all publisher related posts in one place.
2) It means we stop breaking forum presentation style by removing the "sub forum" aspect of the Publishers' area and also removing one further "drill-down" action.
3) When someone posts in or views the general publishers forum, everyone sees all the other content of the other publishers at the same time which may kickstart more activity in the Publisher forum overall.
4) The Publishers forum can be opened up to more Cthulhu publishers simply by expanding the number of prefix tags, rather than creating yet more forums.
5) It's fewer forums for us to administrate and also for people to navigate, bringing it down to nearer the 20 mark (which is a good maximum limit).

The primary disadvantage is a loss of the ability to "Sticky" posts - but often people are subject to "sticky blindness" and the best way to keep a topic in the eye of the reader is to encourage posting of regular content.

#24 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:18 AM

We're currently considering amalgamating the Publisher forums on YSDC into a single forum for use by all Cthulhu publishers

The primary disadvantage is a loss of the ability to "Sticky" posts - but often people are subject to "sticky blindness" and the best way to keep a topic in the eye of the reader is to encourage posting of regular content.

...which knocked all of the Keith Herber-related Stickies from the top of the MRP Publisher forum. Considering his influence and legacy, seeing this happen is a damn shame.

-=Badger
Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#25 allicorn

allicorn

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 839 posts
  • LocationGloucestershire

Posted 22 April 2011 - 02:42 AM

I think it may be the case that although sticky-ing capability has been removed from the Publisher users themselves because of the new organisation, Admins might still be able to permanently stick a few threads that everyone would agree are worth preserving. Not sure. The sticky option still seems to there for me. Paul?

Alli

@AllicornUK ::: www.allicorn.com ::: Listen to the whole At the Mountains of Madness album on Bandcamp

#26 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

I still think we should have a 'In Memorium' section. That way we can say a little about Doc and HPL and one or two others. Doesn't have to be prominent. A little gallery of loved Cthulumni who have passed beyond the veil of sleep. I am primarily think of Doc Herber and Badgers above post when I say this...

#27 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:51 AM

Regarding tributes to the likes of HPL and Doc Herber then a dedicated article may serve a better purpose than a stickied thread (which tend to suffer from "sticky blindness" after a short time).

Links to such articles in your signature are a great way of keeping access to that information (and those memories) current.

#28 trevlix

trevlix

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

In the Yoggie chat last night someone asked about something which I thought sounded good. Are there any plugins which would automatically extract an entire thread into a PDF? I think for instances like the 'In Memorium' threads, that would be perfect.

#29 allicorn

allicorn

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 839 posts
  • LocationGloucestershire

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:52 PM

If there aren't, I'm fairly sure I could put one together.

Alli

@AllicornUK ::: www.allicorn.com ::: Listen to the whole At the Mountains of Madness album on Bandcamp

#30 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:33 PM

Regarding tributes to the likes of HPL and Doc Herber then a dedicated article may serve a better purpose than a stickied thread (which tend to suffer from "sticky blindness" after a short time).

Links to such articles in your signature are a great way of keeping access to that information (and those memories) current.

So until someone writes up these dedicated articles, the now non-sticky posts are just going to fall by the wayside? That's really upsetting to me, to be perfectly honest.

-=badger
Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#31 Afraid of the dark

Afraid of the dark

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

Any chance of that tome seeker as a stickie, as that was REALLY useful, and finding it now is no where near as easy. Someone put a lot of work into that (very appreciated by me) and it seems a shame for it to be hidden away.
Please have a read of the game "The Sanitarium," on my Blog. Say what you think!

#32 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

A new edition of the Tome Seeker is being worked on, in the meantime you can download an offline version via my previous post in this thread:

Tome Seeker files.

#33 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

For the New Year we'll be looking into some further forum re-organisation/merging to reduce the (rather hefty) number of forum areas we currently have (c. 20) and to tighten up scrolling page length. Mostly based on traffic.

Under consideration:
  • Merge Convention News & Tournament Talk with Meetings & Greetings -> Conventions, Meetings & Greetings forum [prefix tag: Convention] - Done
  • Move Publishers forum into a renamed forum area with Book of Dark Wisdom and Unfilmable forums - > Mythos Media & Publishers (forum area) -Done
  • Merging of Gaslight with Classic [prefix tag for Gaslight] - Done
  • Merge Lovecraftian Live Action with Cthulhu Electric Card Board Club [prefix tag: Live Action] - Done
  • Merge Yog Radio & Site News forums [prefix tag: Site News] - or - move Yog Radio forum over to Mythos Media & Publishers forum area - Done
Nothing is set in stone but fewer, more active forums are generally better and help other forum areas overall.

[Updated]

#34 ElijahWhateley

ElijahWhateley

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:22 AM

I like the sound of most of those changes, except for combining the Electric Card Board Club with Live Action. Those are two very different subjects, and if I'm curious about one I'm usually not simultaneously curious about the other. Also, given the very slow rate of Live Action posts, they would get buried under ECBC posts, making the title even more misleading.

#35 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

"Live Action" can be considered to fall under the "Not Tabletop RPG" category (which is a part of what CECBC is). With "Live Action" having so few posts it's one of the main reasons for its proposed amalgamation.

The title (and description) would be updated to reflect any such change.

#36 Tigger_MK4

Tigger_MK4

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

Fair nuff. My suggestion would be that mythos media is the better area of the two for yog radio, given its not just the bradford group that post audios there ?
My Beyond the Mountains of Madness blog

"RULES" ARE GUIDELINES !

#37 GothicPrincess1974

GothicPrincess1974

Master

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

Hiya,

I'm the managing editor at Stardust Publications and I've been trying to post some notices about our recent releases in the Publishers forum, but I keep getting a message telling me something about a Thread Prefix that I need to add or something like that. What do I need to do to post our notices?
Bree Orlock, Managing Editor: Stardust Publications, bree.orlock@stardust-publications.com

#38 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Currently the Publishers forum is for specific Cthulhu publishers who have a direct arrangement with us and used to have full forums (e.g. Cubicle 7, Pagan, TUO etc. - as seen on the prefix list).

For other commercial announcements please use the Arkham Market Square forum. There are [Press Release]/ [Sell] prefixes there that may be of use?

Cheers!

#39 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

A little more re-organisation, which I anticipate will be the last for some time.

• "The Game" forum has been renamed "General Discussion" - as that's what the descriptor has said for a long time anyway.
  • The Yog Radio forum has been renamed to the more general "Mythophonia" to help emphasise that's it's not just about YSDC audio.
  • The Publishers' forum has been amalgamated into Arkham Market Square due to the longstanding very light traffic of the Publishers' forum itself. This solves a few issues including where new/alternate publishers should post (e.g. when talking about fundraisers) and makes Arkham Market Square the default forum for all commercially related discussion. A series of prefix tags mean that threads for relevant publishers and commercial subjects can easily be distinguished via the filter option at the bottom of the page.
  • A trial [Spoilers] prefix tag has been added to the "General Discussion" forum for those wishing to label an entire thread that way. Using the text-specific Spoiler forum code in your posts may still be the best way.

I'm hoping all this will give us a suitable balance between subject traffic, information and number of forums.

#40 WiseWolf

WiseWolf

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

Thanks, Paul. The changes make sense.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack”

Listen to us playing in Skype of Cthulhu