41 replies to this topic

#1 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,392 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

As part of the recent move, we're having a bit of a tidy up on the forum organisation (in an effort to reduce the over all number of forums to a more managable level).

As such the old d20 CoC forum has been merged with the Other eras, Settings & Systems forum, with d20 threads tagged with a [d20] prefix or having d20 in the rest of their title. Over the past few years the d20 conversations have tailed off dramatically, so it was a good candiate for merging.

Other forum updates include:

Merging of Buy/Trade/Sale forums - again with new prefixes available to distinguish thread type.

Reconfiguration of the Cthulhu Dark Ages forum to Cthulhu Antiquita which now also hosts Cthulhu Invictus conversations (again appropariate thread prefixes available).

Currently considering whether the Cthulhu Britannica may be merged. The original plan was as a location for MikeM to build up resources for a Cthulhu Britannica supplement back in about 2004...

[Update: The Cthulhu Britannica forum has now been folded into the Other eras, Settings & Systems forum, again with pre-fix tags where appropriate to denote topic.]

Paul

#2 grodog

grodog

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas, USA

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:41 AM

Thanks for the explanations, Paul: I was wondering about what happened to the other classifieds forums.
grodog
----
Allan Grohe
Editor, Different Worlds Publications
http://www.diffworlds.com/

grodog@gmail.com
http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/
http://www.greyhawko...g/greyhawk.html for my Greyhawk site

#3 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

Good move. As ever Paul you have proved a wise conduit for GOO.

:)

#4 Xipuloxx

Xipuloxx

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

Hi Paul,

Is there some reason the publishers section is done the way it is, as a sort of subforum instead of being shown on the forum front page like everything else? You have to actually click on "publishers" to take you into that subforum...

(I know you can click on the individual publishers on the front page, but you can't see which ones have new posts.)

Not a huge deal, but it seems odd and somewhat messy.
Fear Me, for I am Quaadzelaan Xipuloxx! All hail Xipuloxx the Unsound!

(But you can call me Mark.)

#5 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

It was done because they are relatively low posting traffic areas but occupy a chunk of room on the screen. We had complaints that the forums took up too much screen scrolling, so this was a way to condense things while still being accessible.

#6 Xipuloxx

Xipuloxx

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

Ah, I see. But isn't that why you made the categories collapsible? If there's a category I'm not interested in, I just collapse it so it doesn't take up so much room onscreen.

Alternatively, given how little traffic there is, you could just make it a single "publishers" forum...

As I said, it's not really a big dea, but it just looks messy to me, and it niggles every time I have to click on "publishers" to see which publisher's forum has new posts in it!

#7 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

Obviously the collapsible button collapses the whole category, this way they still remain visable at the top level with people less likely to "collapse" it and see nothing further.

Just a single "Publishers" forum is an interesting idea, but the Publishers there are also Moderators of their own forums, each can be automatically notified when a new post is made in their forum. Combining into one forum would make that facility moot as would their RSS feeds. Plus it could easily turn it into a sticky/announcement "Hell" among other things. :)

Hence the way it currently is.

#8 Xipuloxx

Xipuloxx

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

Fair enough, Paul. You're probably right about the problems of combining them into one forum. I'd personally prefer it to be a collapsible category, and I don't see why it should be different from the rest. But I'm really making a mountain out of a molehill now, so I'll stop...

btw, thanks for your helpfulness in this and the "wobbly bits" thread; I don't want you to think I'm ungrateful! :)

#9 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:26 PM

No worries! :)

#10 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:27 PM

In an ongoing quest to sanitise the number of forum areas we have I'm considering combining the Classic and Gaslight forums into one.

Basically Gaslight doesn't get a huge amount of traffic (though I'd anticipate some increase with the release of Cthulhu by Gaslight, 3rd edition). The differences (technologically and socially) between the 1890s and 1920s are not as great as between those of antiquity and the modern era.

Both [Gaslight] and [Classic] optional prefixes would be available in the combined forum.

#11 Tigger_MK4

Tigger_MK4

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

I can see your point academically....but it just feels....wrong, to me.
On a psychological level, I'd prefer to see "classic" be left unmerged - or at least left as the interwar years (and maybe add ToC ? or Maybe not).

(purity is the keyword mein fuhrer ! ...oh, sorry, channelling famous people again....)

Personally I'd suggest merging the two mythos media forums (perhaps in a similar way as you've done for the publishers), and also merge the market square forums...

Or if you did merge Classic and gaslight at the "Upper" navigation level, perhaps you could still have them as seperate forums, as per the publishers ?

Just posing some ideas....not a rabid advocation/rejection of any of the above.
What do other folks think ?

#12 Xipuloxx

Xipuloxx

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

I agree with Tigger that "Classic" should remain separate, as it's the game's most popular era, judged both in terms of the number of supplements out for it and the number of posts it generates. Merging it with any other era seems ... wrong.

If anything, Gaslight should be merged with Antiquita (in a sort of pre-20th century forum) or perhaps "Other eras".

OTOH, when the new Gaslight book comes out, I suspect it may warrant its own forum again anyway...

I've mentioned before that I dislike the subforum structure you've used for Publishers; I certainly wouldn't want to see that used for Classic/Gaslight.

Unless you make everything subforums, having a sort of "contents page" as the first one we go to when we click on "forum" from the front page.

This would have categories for "The Game" (subforums for general game discussion and the various eras would be within that, in the same way as the various publishers' subforums are currently within the "Publishers" category), for "Mythos Media", and so on.

#13 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

Some interesting points!

I will probably hold off merging Classic and Gaslight for the moment and revisit it later, but the suggestion of merging Collector's Corner with the General Buy/Sell seems a good one, so we'll see about doing that. Book of Dark Wisdom and Unfilmable may (possibly) also be merged under a general "Mythos Media" heading (though less likely). Electric Card Board and Live Action are also candidates. Trail of Cthulhu will be separated so there isn't a large visual block of seven forums in a column.

I've mentioned before that I dislike the subforum structure you've used for Publishers;

I'm afraid the Publisher forums are very low traffic. It was either the current sub-forum format or the merging of all Publisher forums into one - which is something publishers might not want, as well as raising questions of how moderation would work.

We currently have over 20 forum areas, so having a few less probably wouldn't harm.

#14 Xipuloxx

Xipuloxx

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

Some interesting points!

I will probably hold off merging Classic and Gaslight for the moment and revisit it later

Please, if you do so, consider merging Gaslight with something else instead. Anything else instead! :)

but the suggestion of merging Collector's Corner with the General Buy/Sell seems a good one, so we'll see about doing that. Book of Dark Wisdom and Unfilmable may (possibly) also be merged under a general "Mythos Media" heading (though less likely). Electric Card Board and Live Action are also candidates.

These all seem good ideas to me, though I think the literary and film forums are possible busy enough to justify remaining separate.

Trail of Cthulhu will be separated so there isn't a large visual block of seven forums in a column.

I see you've done that now; it looks good. As a non-ToC player, I like having it separate from the CoC forums, as I read all of them but hardly ever read it.

I'm afraid the Publisher forums are very low traffic. It was either the current sub-forum format or the merging of all Publisher forums into one - which is something publishers might not want, as well as raising questions of how moderation would work.

Yes, we've had this conversation before -- only a few posts above, in fact, though it was quite some time ago! I actually think it would be OK if everything was in subforums like that, it just irritates me to have the publisher forums treated differently. But never mind, that horse is well dead, and indeed quite unpleasantly liquefied by now. It showers me with maggots every time I beat it. ;)

#15 cjearkham

cjearkham

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Premium
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:05 PM

If anything, Gaslight should be merged with Antiquita (in a sort of pre-20th century forum) or perhaps "Other eras".

If you have to merge it with another group, I vote for "Other eras". It's not old enough for "Antiquita".

Chris Jarocha-Ernst
Hagiographer of the Cthulhu Mythos

#16 Paddurz

Paddurz

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron Ultra
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationWest (Best) Coast of Sweden

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

If you have to merge it with another group, I vote for "Other eras". It's not old enough for "Antiquita".

Gaslight definately doesn't belong to Antiquita! I completely agree with you on this!

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

http://twitter.com/paddurz

#17 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

I've decided to let Gaslight stay seperate for the meanwhile (hopefully it will pick up further wih Gaslight 3rd edition). I've done a little re-organisation and the only planned merge in the immediate future will be Buy/Sell/Trade with Collectors.

#18 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

Buy/Sell/Trade has now been merged with Collectors and a new [Collector] optional prefix tag has now been added to that forum.

This brings us to 20 forward facing forum areas, which should be enough. :)

#19 Afraid of the dark

Afraid of the dark

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:27 PM

Will you be re-stickie-ing those collector threads? Handy having them at the top.
Please have a read of the game "The Sanitarium," on my Blog. Say what you think!

#20 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,392 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

It's under review. At the moment I'm trying to locate where the old ~Tome Seeker~ thread decided to go. In the meantime here's a Google cache version (it should still work, even with the web page saved offline).

Attached to this post a couple of offline versions (Firefox, Safari).

Attached Files