#21 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hey there everyone!

Well, The Legacy of Arrius Lurco has been in editing for a week now. I hear that process is going well. I get my "Try" right and my "Wish" wrong, which I am told isn't so bad. I guess only editors will understand that.

The sketches for all the art for the 3rd scenario are approved; Alberto is now producing the finals.

I just sent the last set of official art assignments, for the 4th scenario, to Tom for review.

I plan to start working on the first round of Map assignments, possibly in the next few hours.

I have been given the name of someone I am told can provide accurate Latin translations. I will be contacting them soon. As has been abundantly pointed out by some on these message boards I do not have any sort of command of the Latin language. If you can't do, learn. If you haven't time to learn, subcontract.

I have finished writing the free gift scenario for those first fifty pre-orders of The Legacy of Arrius Lurco. The scenario is called "Blood and Glory", and while it can be set in a variety of places the published version takes place in the city of Rome. It centers on 3 days of games set in the Colosseum. I began running this last week for a small group of play testers and it is proving to be an interesting, challenging and enjoyable little scenario. It plays longer than I thought, as I was sure it would be a 1-shot, but almost everything I write plays longer than I expected it to. My players are certainly not complaining. We are scheduled to have out next session the day after tomorrow.

Other than the scheduling setbacks due to problems with "More Adventures in Arkham Country", and a few unpleasant events during play testing this project still seems to be coasting along under a lucky star. No major issues.

Well, that's the update for Sunday March 21st, 2010. The sun is rising, the birds are singing and winter is over. Spring has finally arrived.

Edited by Gol-Goroth, 17 August 2010 - 02:48 PM.

Founder of Golden Goblin Press : Golden Goblin Press
Check out my Blog : Oscar Rios - Minion of Cthulhu

#22 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

....and since Osk is in his car driving, I'll toss out a quick update here.

I have a preliminary contract and map assignments zipping across the Atlantic to a certain cartographer who does simply brilliant work.

Editing is moving on swiftly, and I hear well enough that Andi has not taken a hatchet either to her computer or to her husband. Both are good news.
Tom Lynch
President & Managing Editor
Miskatonic River Press

#23 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:17 AM

Editing is moving on swiftly, and I hear well enough that Andi has not taken a hatchet either to her computer or to her husband. Both are good news.

Is she saving the axe for Osk's manuscript? ;)

I reckon Osk and i need to have a chat soon about certain book design topics, eh wot?

-=b
Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#24 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

I have a preliminary contract and map assignments zipping across the Atlantic to a certain cartographer who does simply brilliant work.

hahahaha! No pressure then! I got my map assignments today and have sorted them into my schedule. Completion is early April (once I've finished with my current client).

I'm looking forward to taking a cartographic tour around the eastern Med.

Ave!

(Steffanus Worthingtonus, aspirational imaginary Legate of the XXth at Castra Legio in Britannia Superior)

#25 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

We are entering a very exciting stage of this project's development. I am no longer the only person working on this, in fact, others are much more busy than I am with it.

Art, Editing, Maps, and soon layout... As an author and publisher, it's thrilling.

#26 Eugene

Eugene

Master

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

We are entering a very exciting stage of this project's development. I am no longer the only person working on this, in fact, others are much more busy than I am with it.

Art, Editing, Maps, and soon layout... As an author and publisher, it's thrilling.

Any updates on this project?

#27 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:23 PM

Any updates on this project?

Sure...

UPDATED JUNE 18th, 2010

With the release of More Adventures in Arkham Country sort of dragging itself out, The Legacy of Arrius Lurco was put on the back burner.

But with that book due to go to the printer in the next three weeks, Tom and I are going to be getting to work on this again in July. Our plan it to rework some of the manuscript to make it a little less rail roadish and a little more of a sandbox. We're replacing one monster with something brand new, adding a scene here and there to make things a little longer and fuller. The inital round of editing is done, this is now the final round of polishing up. Scott Aniolowski has agreed to join Tom and I for the final round of revisions. Our hope is that over the next six to eight weeks a much improved manuscript will be ready for layout.

Layout is standing by for the final manuscript.
Interior art is 100% in house.
Maps - Some are in house, a second round of map assignments will be going out in the next few weeks.

There's been no reason to rush this because of the project ahead of it. But as soon as that project is out The Legacy of Arrius Lurco becomes our top priority.

Edited by Gol-Goroth, 18 June 2010 - 12:28 PM.

#28 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

Maps - Some are in house, a second round of map assignments will be going out in the next few weeks.

These going to me?

#29 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

These going to me?

Well, MRP *does* have a cartographer. I think we'll use him...
Tom Lynch
Miskatonic River Press

#30 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

July 17th Update - Progress is slow, but steady, on this project.

I am in the process of re-working the manuscript, to reflect play test and editorial suggestions. The result is that this is becoming a much more interesting, colorful, dynamic and dangerous campaign. Like new monsters? We’ll have at least three now! The eternal struggle between railroad and sandbox continues… Is it possible to put a sandbox ON a railroad car? We’ll see. I think so… Our cartographer is now working on a map of the city of Rome, showing the hills and neighborhoods, to make running a game in this urban center easier and more interesting for players. We also have a WONDERFUL fellow providing MRP with spot on Latin translations (Take THAT haters!).

Currently I am adding further options for keepers in the 2nd scenario. We’re not rushing this, as More Adventures in Arkham Country is due out any day now, and we’d want a few months between releases either way. We DO hope to have this out in the fall of 2010.

That’s all for now…

#31 Tigger_MK4

Tigger_MK4

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

Sounds good, look forward to seeing the book, Osk !

p.s. I loved the conceit of the white mice in "Tales of Death and Darkness" by the way.

#32 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

If you're going to do something fanciful anywhere in the mythos, a Bed and Breakfast in Kingsport would be the place to do it. Glad you liked that, and hell, glad you even read "Tales of Death and Darkness".

#33 Ballyon

Ballyon

Neophyte

• 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

Is this resource flexible as to time period or is it fixed during the reign of a particular emperor or something similar? I was hoping to have the book in hand before beginning my new Cthulhu Invictus campaign, but with a projected release date of Fall 2010 that won't be possible. I'm trying to start the game in A.D. 79 and was wondering if that date would be feasible to use with this campaign.

#34 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

The campaign is set late in the reign of Hadrian, so it's later than 79. HOWEVER, it does not need to be set in any specific time. You can easily place it earlier as it touches on no specific historical events.

#35 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

Hi Ballyon, my Cthulhu Invictus scenarios are also set in AD79 (the year my home town was "founded" as a Roman Garrison for the XXth legion) and having done a couple of maps for the book I can reassure you that I will find it equally as useful for my players (by possibly having either time gate knowledge or my characters sons carry on their mythos fighting legacy). I think the issue for me is more of a distance as 'TLoAL' takes place a little way from my usual games set in Britannia.

...and of course as Osk has said... I didn't get the impression from my brief notes that TLoAL was time-tied or era specific.

:)

#36 Dr_Locrian

Dr_Locrian

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

OK, now that More Adventures is in the bag, the poking and pestering about TLoAL can begin again! Er, any updates on this puppy coming in the near future? This book definitely tops my wish list for the rest of the year, along with Bookhounds of London.

#37 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

We at MRP just looooooove fans like you. :D

Osk is working on edits now, and Steff is working on some more maps. We may or may not be adding a couple pieces of art, but we hope to get this seriously underway in the coming months...while we work on our scenarios for the *next* book. ;)
Tom Lynch
Miskatonic River Press

#38 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:44 AM

Update from Author…

Hey there everyone.

Well I am hard at work on rewriting / editing “The Legacy of Arrius Lurco”. The project is becoming bigger, better, more detailed and gaining a lot more depth. New monsters, spells and encounters are being added, to reflect our first editor’s comments and player feedback from one and a half playtests (the 2nd group is half way through the campaign).

I am on the edits / rewrites of the first section of the final scenario. I have at this point 51 pages left to go, but that might change as the length of the book grows. A sandbox requires more words than a railroad after all. Currently the book is a tad bit more than 80% edited / rewritten.

Once I am done it gets a coupled of read throughs, a formal final copy edit, layout and some proof reads. This post writing production period is a lot longer than most people realize, myself included until a few short months ago. At best from the final version of the manuscript being done until we go to print could be 5 months. Yeah, seriously, it will probably be five months. Who knew?

Our best estimate, our most hopeful guess, is that “The Legacy of Arrius Lurco” will be released in February 2011. Yeah, I know, that sort of blows, but that’s the best we can do. Honestly, for a small company like MRP that’s actually not bad at all. We have a great team who will be working very hard on this as soon as the manuscript hits their desks.

MY hope is to have the edits / rewrites done before midnight August 16th, but that’ll be tough to do. I’m going to do my best.

Edited by Gol-Goroth, 13 October 2010 - 01:55 PM.

#39 Tigger_MK4

Tigger_MK4

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

Thats not so bad...after all we do have MA(N)iAC (and Maulm and so on) to keep us busy until then, and the timings good for me : My sunday night group will be playing D&D 4e (meh) until then.

:-)
My Beyond the Mountains of Madness blog

"RULES" ARE GUIDELINES !

#40 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:19 PM

Thats not so bad...after all we do have MA(N)iAC (and Maulm and so on) to keep us busy until then, and the timings good for me : My sunday night group will be playing D&D 4e (meh) until then.

:-)

Chaosium should have the monograph from the Cthulhu Invictus scenario contest out before too long. I'll probably have a scenario in that one called "Blood and Glory".