340 replies to this topic

#1 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

I am hard at work writing A Second Theseus, the fourth and final chapter of The Legacy of Arrius Lurco. Hard might be a bad word, because the writing is going very smoothly and easier than I expected. I am way ahead of schedule and may begin play testing next weekend (January 24th). After I am done writing this scenario, I'll work on an introductory chapter full of background information to make the campaign as Keeper Friendly as possible. Tom and I are getting ready to start real work on interior art and map assignments.

I'm chatting with Chad Bowser, bouncing things off of him, to get it all as tight as possible. I've shot my editor (Andi Newton) a note, informing her of the manuscript's status and that she should expect delivery in the next (Dare I say it?) sixty days?

To those of you on the fence about picking up the Cthulhu Invictus book - There is a campaign coming. This will be four multi session, play tested scenarios giving keepers and investigators alike many hours of play. I am very excited to be bringing the campaign to its long anticipated conclusion, and to be in these final stages of writing.

If you liked Ripples from Carcosa or The Ravenar Sagas, well, let me say this; I was just getting warmed up.

Edited by Gol-Goroth, 17 August 2010 - 02:40 PM.

Founder of Golden Goblin Press : Golden Goblin Press
Check out my Blog : Oscar Rios - Minion of Cthulhu

#2 Gladiator

Gladiator

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

I am really looking forward to this. I was a bit disappointed with the C-I book itself but this morning I recieved the Malum Umbra and Extrico Tabula which I believe are by Gol-G and was pleasantly pleased. They are just what I was hoping for- well written scenarios and backgrounds info of Cthulhu set in the Roman era. I anticipate lots more good Roman stuff from Miskatonic River Press in the future. Keep up the good work for us Romans.
B.

#3 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,399 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

I've just moved it over to the MRP forum since there's already one reply in this thread. No cross forum posting please, for reasons that I hope are evident. Cheers! ~PoC

#4 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

At 11:53am, on the 23rd of January 2010, work on "A Second Theseus" came to an end, sixteen days ahead of schedule.

This also means that work on "The Legacy of Arrius Lurco", a campaign for Cthulhu Invictus, is now also complete.

I have to give everything some polish and write an introduction chapter, but the campaign itself is written.

I just checked some dates of e-mails. Apparently I've been working on this campaign since November of 2008.

Fifteen Months... I can hardly believe it... I'm done.

~Long Contented Sigh~

#5 knas

knas

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:02 AM

Any chances we could get a small sneak peak of what we might expect? :)

#6 MikeC

MikeC

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:45 AM

Knowing Osc's work just a little, the only sneak peek you need is one word:

PAIN.

MikeC, see ya at Dreamation!

#7 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

Knowing Osc's work just a little, the only sneak peek you need is one word:

PAIN.

MikeC, see ya at Dreamation!

And speaking of Osk and Dreamation, you'll get that peek if you sign up for his Saturday games. He's running book one of the campaign.

Oh, and Mike's right, PAIN is dead on (as is "dead").

As for the sneak peek: http://www.facebook....co/277394028576
Tom Lynch
President & Managing Editor
Miskatonic River Press

#8 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

The Legacy of Arrius Lurco.
A Campaign for Cthulhu Invictus
By Oscar Rios

"I am writing this down so I do not forget, so I will remember why I do what is hard and right. I write this to remind myself of what has happened so that when the fear grips me and my resolve wavers it shall not fail. A hero does what he must, not what he will. I am not a hero; I am but a man, a mortal man without much time left upon this earth. But I will try to make a difference, I shall stand and fight and likely fail. But I will not go quietly or meekly. Let this, above all else, be my legacy.

Quintus Arrius Lurco"

The book will be four scenarios, set in Rome, Ostia, Athens, Delphi and other places... It's a long campaign, with each scenario taking at two-four sessions of play. So far in play with my home group it's been physically lethal and mind shattering. Oh, and we start play testing the final scenario tonight.

Osk

Edited by Gol-Goroth, 17 August 2010 - 02:41 PM.

#9 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:17 AM

Glee!
With so many prominent locations in the Roman World this looks like an amazing way to immerse players into the setting. However many games a keeper will set in the universe of CI his players will be able to say "Oh yeah, we were here last year.. I wonder if that Taverna still has Gaulish wine?"

cool!

#10 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:49 AM

And speaking of locations, we have this *great* cartographer who just happens to specialize in maps of the ancient world. ;-)
Tom Lynch
Miskatonic River Press

#11 StephanieMcAlea

StephanieMcAlea

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:50 AM

hahahaha.... (no pressure!)
say it AFTER i've drawn them Tom ;)

#12 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:42 PM

Tomorrow is the second session of playtesting for the final scenario in the campaign, "A Second Theseus -"Part Four of The Legacy of Arrius Lurco." We are starting early, 11:30am, it is my hope that with the extra time we will be able to finish.

Edited by Gol-Goroth, 17 August 2010 - 02:41 PM.

#13 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:19 PM

Anyone leaving early will be sacrificed to the gods.
Tom Lynch
Miskatonic River Press

#14 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:01 PM

Finished play testing the campaign a couple of days ago. It needs a few tweeks, which is why you play test. But the campaign is done, it's been totally played, which is great.

I'm doing my sweep/dusting/editing of the material before I send it off to my editor. I'm already on the 2nd scenario in that process. The first draft is always that, the first draft. The 2nd version, after play testing, is when things come into focus.

That's all for now. Stay Tuned for more updates.

#15 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

...and for those who haven't seen/heard, Osk will be running Book One of The Legacy of Arrius Lurco @ Dreamation next weekend. If you're nearby the area, it will be worth your while. :twisted:
Tom Lynch
Miskatonic River Press

#16 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

Technically I am running the first half of book one. Book one is the first and second scenarios of the book, while book two is the second half.

As was said in the last session by both keepers and players, "It's been a long campaign". But funny enough a few of my players are not ready to stop. Even after this entire thing they want to know what happens next, they want to find other adventures, role play meeting back up with NPC's they met. The want to get into how they spend the money they earned. For them this is hardly the end, it's only the end of this particular adventure. When I mentioned the upcoming scenario I'll be working on called "Shards of Nemesis" half the group jumped up and said they wanted to get in on it.

Which, I guess, is a really good thing for keepers wanted to run this as a way to launch their own Cthulhu Invictus game.

#17 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:02 PM

Further Updates -

The art is pouring in, thankfully. MRP now has finished high resolution scans for the illustrations for the first two (of four) scenarios. We are sending the assignments out today for the 3rd scenario.

Ran the 1st scenario at Dremation this weekend, a double session with some of my best convention players. It was the updated version, post initial playtest and edited. The changes helped and the players really enjoyed it. They wanted to start part two, but after nearly 7 hours of playing I was shot.

I am currently polishing up the 2nd scenario, which for me will likely need the most work. But it's going well, I need to get back to it. A stomach virus and Dreamation haulted work on this particular part of the process.

That's all for now.

#18 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:27 AM

You want to know what's good about a snowstorm so bad they close down your job? The fact that you suddenly have a 3-day weekend when you are in the middle of re-writing you're book. :)

I've gotten LOADS of work done over the last few days. The re-write is going great. I am way ahead of where I thought I would be now. I am in the middle of re-writing the third of four scenarios. My goal was to finish by the end of the month (March). It now looks like I can get this complete before the middle of the month.

The editor is waiting for the manuscript to be ready. Tom and I are waiting for sketches for the 3rd round of art assignments. We need to get a contract together for the editor.

Things are going VERY well. Tomorrow is the 1st day of March and I have no stress about where the project is at this time, all things considered.

#19 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

Updates for March 9th -

Yesterday was a good day for the project. MRP got art sketches for 2 new items, which we approved for final inking with a few very minor suggestions. Our artist is a joy to work with.

Re-writes are going very well, much better than expected. I will soon pass on the baton to others. I have mixed feeling about that. After working with this project for so long is difficult to let go of it, like a parent sending a child off to college.

Tom and I will soon be talking about the last round of art assignments and maps. We also need to find someone with a better command of Latin than mine, which if you know me really won't be hard.

Expect a major announcement on this project in six days time, on March 15th, the ides of March.

#20 Gol-Goroth

Gol-Goroth

Golden Goblin Press

• Publisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

On this momentous day, March 15th, the Ides of March, Miskatonic River Press joins Chaosium in celebrating six months of Cthulhu Invictus as an official setting for Call of Cthulhu. We have an important update and a gift. First out update…

The Legacy of Arrius Lurco - Our campaign for Cthulhu Invictus is now officially in editing. The manuscript is done and now in the very capable hands of Andi Newton. Art for the progress is coming in smoothly and we are quite pleased with what we're seeing. More than half of the art is already in house. Map assignments will be going out in the next week or two. So far this project seems to be protected by the goddess Fortuna, as everyone involved with it is a joy to work with. Would that every project be so blessed!

We'll be starting pre-orders of this book once editing is complete. When that begins the first fifty people who preorder the book directly from us will get a free gift. Their books will not only be autographed, they will come with an additional short Cthulhu Invictus scenario. This scenario will ONLY be available to those lucky first fifty people to pre-order the book, for at least a year. The scenario may be published later, should the gods so choose.

MPR will aloso be giving out our 2nd free PDF gift. Remember our 2009 Halloween gift, "The Strength of Twenty Men"? We here's a new one entitled "Bracing for Trouble". Check out our "Happy Ides of March" thread!

Edited by Gol-Goroth, 17 August 2010 - 02:43 PM.