Photo
- - - - -

Searching for a Phrase

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zoran

Zoran

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:35 AM

Children of the Deep[/i] in The Game forum Robbie]

So, how do I do search for a phrase in the forums?

I'd love to be able to give you the definitive answer on this, but I can't, I'm so sorry. :(

We are aware that there are problems with the forum search. I will ensure that the site owner is informed of this direct question, but I fear only he is in a position to give you something approaching an accurate answer.

Don't be surprised if it takes a little while to get back to you, though. Feel free to PM either myself in, say, a week's time if you have heard nothing.

Okay, it's been a bit over a month and so far nothing.

I figure no-one knows what the story is with Children of the Deep, which is fair enough, but I thought I would have heard something back about searching for a phrase in the forums.

That's why I'm posting this reminder.

Also why I've moved it to the News & Messages forum rather than The Game since it's a question that has more to do with the site rather than the game. Also, since there's less traffic on the News & Messages this post will probably stay near the top longer as a reminder that the question needs an answer.

So, to repeat the original question, to save people having to look it up:

The problem is that I couldn't find a way of searching for a phrase. All I kept getting back were posts that happened to contain the words "children", "of", "the" and "deep", though usually not anywhere near each other and definitely not in the specific order "children of the deep".

I tried enclosing the phrase in quote marks, which usually works, and including "AND" between each of the words indicating that I wanted all of them to appear in any results, but I couldn't find anyway of indicating that I wanted the words to be adjacent to one another and in a particular order.

So, how do I do search for a phrase in the forums?

I'm sure the problem is a product of my own lack of computer literacy, but I'd appreciate any help on how to search of phrases, not just individual words.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Zoran
The job of a mother is to deliver children.
Once, obstetrically; thereafter, automotively.

#2 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,685 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:50 PM

Apologies for the delay in reply. To answer your question:

I'm afraid that 'Searching by phrase' is not available in the current forums.

This is apparantly done for performance reasons. Your best course of action for the time being would be to use: 'Search for Keywords' in conjunction with 'search for all terms'.

Best,

Paul

YSDC Players' Directory

Over 1,500 Players Worldwide

#3 Lingering_Dark

Lingering_Dark

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 10:54 PM

Happy 800th post Paul....Keep it up (or I'll have nothing to read) :8E:
"Go ahead...open the book...how dangerous can a book be?"

#4 Zoran

Zoran

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 02:30 AM

Apologies for the delay in reply. To answer your question:

Not a real problem. I only remembered that I'd asked the question a couple of days ago.

I'm afraid that 'Searching by phrase' is not available in the current forums.

This is apparantly done for performance reasons. Your best course of action for the time being would be to use: 'Search for Keywords' in conjunction with 'search for all terms'.

Okay. Thanks for the reply. I can see how "searching for a phrase" would be slower than just searching for keywords, but -- gosh, darn it! -- it would be so useful.

Still, it's not the first time I've had to use work-arounds. We all adapt to the systems we have; "we are shaped by our tools as much as we shape them" or something to that effect. From Arthur C. Clarke, I think.

Regards,

Zoran
The job of a mother is to deliver children.
Once, obstetrically; thereafter, automotively.

#5 fantomas

fantomas

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:25 AM

You can also use google. Not sure how often it crawls the site.

Doing a search on "Children of the Deep" yog-sothoth revealed only one hit - the orginal post Zoran made about Cildren of the deep.
The Culture has become addicted to the chaos it thought it was inoculating itself against
...We are becoming your role models, your heroes. Our lives are your movie...
-The Invisibles-

#6 delrio

delrio

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:25 PM

You can also use google. Not sure how often it crawls the site.

Doing a search on "Children of the Deep" yog-sothoth revealed only one hit - the orginal post Zoran made about Cildren of the deep.

Yep. Although the best way to narrow the search to yog-sothoth is with the site keyword. I.e. the search you would type in would be:

"children of the deep" site:www.yog-sothoth.com

It doesn't matter so much on a search that produces so few results, but for example if you were searching for a phrase that shows up more commonly in association with yog-sothoth, like say, "gate" or something, you would end up with hits from all over the web if you didn't limit it by site.

Del Rio
Delta Green: Rising Tide (rebooted April 2013)