Photo
- - - - -

2 UK (I think) horror movies I need info on

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cthulhudude

Cthulhudude

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:07 PM

There are two war / horror movies coming out to DVD here in the States next month that I have heard namedropped quite a bit but never really heard anything much about as far as if they were good or not. Both were made in the UK (I think) so since I know there’s a gaggle of Brits on this list I figured I’d ask if anyone here saw either of these flicks.

The Bunker: in which German soldiers hide in a haunted bunker in W.W. II.

Deathwatch: in which British soldiers wander into a fog bank and bad stuff happens in W.W. I

So, anyone see either of these? Any thoughts on them?
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos.
Know Nyarlathotep, know chaos.

#2 ThothAmon

ThothAmon

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:17 AM

I've seen both. I'll try to keep my comments spoiler free.

Deathwatch

More of a psychological horror film than anything else, it relies heavily on metaphor to make its point. As with most low budget stuff the SFX are negligible. There are a few good performances in this, in particular from the guy who played Gollum in LOTR.

I enjoyed this but the Big Twist might leave you cold, experienced plotters will see it coming. In summary, if it had been made by M Night Shyamalamawotsit it would probably have received heavy plaudits.

The Bunker

Technically similar in theme to Deathwatch (i.e. horrors of war, inhumanity of man) but IMO nowhere near as good. I never became sympathetic to any of the characters and, given that they are Germans in WWII hiding from advancing Allies, that's a major problem. There is also a massive plot hole in this one, of the same size as, say, flying buses in 'Speed', and it seriously spoils what could have been an interesting premise. Additionally, the main MacGuffin in the movie has been done better elsewhere e.g. in Lumleys first two Necroscope novels.

Furthermore, I found myself comparing this movie with 'The Keep' as they are essentially similar. Dodgy plot and unsympathetic characters mean that this film suffers dreadfully by comparison to 'The Keep', itself an uneven movie.
Cheers.

Peter.

#3 Nick_B

Nick_B

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:00 AM

I guessed the 'twist' in Deathwatch from the poster. It's *that* obvious. The Bunker is similarly predictable, but then it's supposed to be.

They're both quite similar films, actually; nicely directed, both very much 'mood' pieces, both ultimately quite dissapointing.

#4 GHill

GHill

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:08 AM

I guessed the 'twist' in Deathwatch from the poster. It's *that* obvious. The Bunker is similarly predictable, but then it's supposed to be.

They're both quite similar films, actually; nicely directed, both very much 'mood' pieces, both ultimately quite dissapointing.

I didn't get to see Deathwatch at the cinema but saw it recently on sattelite, like Nick I fairly quickly worked out what the twist was and pretty much stopped watching it as a movie and more as a source of atmospere for No Mans Land.

Likewise the Bunker, although I admit to having given up on it after about half an hour at which point it assumed the role of background noise (accompanied by the squeels of the wife) as I read a good book instead.

I must however admit to liking the Keep, although I wish the ending had been reworked.

#5 Cthulhudude

Cthulhudude

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:10 PM

Thanks from across the pond for the info. Well I guess I'll see if I can rent these someplace before I buy them. It is kind of a bummer as I liked the premise behind them but oh well...

As for Ghill and him liking The Keep; good God man, I can only hope that you are talking about the book (which was good) and not the horrible Michael Mann movie where it's Nazis meets the Inhumanoids (remember them? Hell, did you guys in the UK even have this cartoon?) all set to cheesy synth-pop music and a visual style better suited for Miami Vice than a horror movie. Man oh man do I dislike that film. :evil:
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos.
Know Nyarlathotep, know chaos.

#6 Herne_the_hunter

Herne_the_hunter

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:38 PM

I bought Deathwatch, then sold it. Now I want it back again. It's not the best horror movie ever, but it certainly has atmosFear. Some very memorable moments too. I particularly loved what Andy Serkis did to the captured German.

#7 Mr_Lin

Mr_Lin

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:15 PM

As for Ghill and him liking The Keep; good God man, I can only hope that you are talking about the book (which was good) and not the horrible Michael Mann movie where it's Nazis meets the Inhumanoids (remember them? Hell, did you guys in the UK even have this cartoon?) all set to cheesy synth-pop music and a visual style better suited for Miami Vice than a horror movie. Man oh man do I dislike that film. :evil:

I think the Keep is a badly flawed film, but on the whole I like it. I find the visual style quite striking and I thought the Tangerine Dream score was great. I have the feeling that the movie was butchered by the studio which may account for the fact that it's largely incomprehensible if you haven't read the book. As for the ending being different from the novel, Mann has always had a free and easy attitude towards his source material: The end of Manhunter is very different to that of Red Dragon, and his first film Thief/Violent Streets departs quite radically from the book it is based on. I don't think Mann is unique in this, it seems to be pretty standard in the movie business.