14 replies to this topic

#1 synthboy

synthboy

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

I'm in the process of writing a campaign that features the Karotechia as the principle bad guys. The eraly part features Reihard Galt touring right-wing, Mythos affiliated groups in N America trying to track down a diary. The investigators learn of this during a seemingly unrelated investigation. I've sown some clues that will lead them onto the next step but I wanted to leave an additional clue in the bedroom Galt stayed in that, if they find it, will give the investigators some sort of boost. I don't want anything too obvious (I'm intending to reveal things very slowly) but I do want something that is more useful than just intriguing, even if that use doesn't become apparent until later. Any ideas, anyone?

* File Uploads for (almost) All *

#2 rylehNC

rylehNC

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:38 PM

Maybe an African tribal fetish that leads to the Anziques?
Happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes.

-Ibn Schacabao

#3 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,566 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:43 PM

Recipe notes in German? Dried human blood on the cutlery?

#4 synthboy

synthboy

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

Maybe an African tribal fetish that leads to the Anziques?

Yeah, I can see that working. The significance would not be clear until they reach NY and visit a certain gentleman at the Museum of Natural History...

Recipe notes in German? Dried human blood on the cutlery?

Menu from Ghoul Pizzas? Seriously, it's given me an idea for bite marks in a human cadaver later on that will reveal 1920s dentistry...

Thanks guys.

#5 StagLord

StagLord

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:44 PM

Is the character's name really Galt?

Like as in John Galt from Ayn Rand?

#6 sglancy12

sglancy12

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:37 PM

The fact that I named a sinister, psychopathic, sexually perverse, immortal Nazi cannibal Galt should give you some hint as to my opinions on the writings of Ayn Rand.

And Synthboy, your suggestion of bite marks revealing 1920's dentistry is a pretty good one... however, such dentistry has a tendency to erode over time and it's likely that 70-80 years later Herr Galt would have had that work replaced with more modern techniques. After all, if anyone is going to look after this teeth, it's going to be a cannibal.

As for the African fetish, or any other items left behind, the only way such items would be abandoned is if they were forced to be abandoned... i.e. a law enforcement raid or other emergency forced Galt to abandon a personal item. Not to make things more complex for you, but you're going to have to consider not only what was left behind, but also why.

Frankly, the best thing to leave behind in Galt's wake are stories. Like maybe those Mythos-affiliated right wing group members can't stop chattering like fanboys about how cool it was to meet him and about how bad ass he is... or at least how bad ass they think he is. Maybe one of them is less awe-struck and more frightened... maybe an older member who notes that the man hasn't aged since his last visit in 1965. Or maybe he remembers that when Galt last swung by this chapter of the Invisible Knights of the Klu Klux Klan he ordered out... had the men bring him some racial enemy which he promptly butchered, cooked and ate.

On surveillance tapes the players could hear the local skin heads arguing that THIS Galt couldn't be THAT Galt. After all it's been over forty years. Maybe it was his dad?

Anything worthwhile there?
A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing

#7 ProfSpender

ProfSpender

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:04 PM

I would also go with Bauern telling "war stories" of The Amazing Galt. Perhaps while trying to intimidate/impress DG agents with their importance and connections ("Galt will get you, just you wait!"). In my campaign, I had them compare the resurrected Reinhard Heydrich to Galt, with the latter come up even better. If not in person, then such talk might turn up in neo-nazi internet chats, emails, forums. Maybe some neo-nazi "artist" made a song about Galt? ("Who is Reinhard Galt?")

#8 WinstonP

WinstonP

Breakfast Clubber

• Super Moderator
  • 3,566 posts
  • LocationFleeing westward

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:12 PM

The fact that I named a sinister, psychopathic, sexually perverse, immortal Nazi cannibal Galt should give you some hint as to my opinions on the writings of Ayn Rand.

I must confess when some on the Right threatened to 'Go Galt' as a response to recent electoral losses, my mind first went to the Nazi Cannibal before remembering Rand's ubermench.

#9 The_Tatterdemalion_King

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Lesser Independent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:03 PM

What kind of implements are used in the preparation of the Food of Life? Does he eat out, or in? Someone notices meat in the freezer? How much ammo does he carry on him at a given time? Does he use fake IDs? How many would he have on him at any given time? Does he re-use them, burn them after a specific mission is completed, or have different sets for both? Does he have emotional needs? Does he still have sex, or are his urges completely sublimated into cannibalism? What does he read before bed?
Portfolio at www.chrishuth.com • Clients include Chaosium Inc, Sixtystone Press, Pelgrane Press and Sentinel Hill Press

#10 rus

rus

Master

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:50 AM

On stories, sexual perversion which hints at cannibalism seems an obvious choice. If Gault is making the rounds neo-nazi groups, there's going to be some groupies. Say one or two of them decided Gault would be the perfect Aryan father; spreading the seed of the true race and all that.

Figure whatever BDSM perversions you can imagine Gault finds passe, so mix in a snack. Ripping a clitoris off with his teeth seems both fitting and memorable, although perhaps over the top.

#11 synthboy

synthboy

Breakfast Clubber

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:36 AM

And Synthboy, your suggestion of bite marks revealing 1920's dentistry is a pretty good one... however, such dentistry has a tendency to erode over time and it's likely that 70-80 years later Herr Galt would have had that work replaced with more modern techniques. After all, if anyone is going to look after this teeth, it's going to be a cannibal.

As for the African fetish, or any other items left behind, the only way such items would be abandoned is if they were forced to be abandoned... i.e. a law enforcement raid or other emergency forced Galt to abandon a personal item. Not to make things more complex for you, but you're going to have to consider not only what was left behind, but also why.

On surveillance tapes the players could hear the local skin heads arguing that THIS Galt couldn't be THAT Galt. After all it's been over forty years. Maybe it was his dad?

Anything worthwhile there?

Torpedoed by Scott Glancy! I guess there's some honour in that. :lol:

Seriously, on the subject of Galt's teeth, maybe it's not dentistry so much as dental surgery. Maybe Galt had some sort of outmoded but recognisable dental surgery to correct an overbite or similar. Is that feasible? Any dentists or dental historians care to comment?

The comment about the fetishes is spot on. No way that Galt would have left anything of value behind deliberately and if it was accidental there's been enough time for him to send back for it. I'm thinking now something written in German, a note made after answering the phone or something similar. What does that dsound like? And what should it say?

And surveillance tapes: doh! I've spent ages thinking about the security system in this place and not thought that there'd be a record of Galt. Great for the investigators to get a record of this guy and also great for their DG handlers to realise who they're up against.

#12 AdamAstonbury

AdamAstonbury

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:11 AM

Figure whatever BDSM perversions you can imagine Gault finds passe, so mix in a snack. Ripping a clitoris off with his teeth seems both fitting and memorable, although perhaps over the top.

Rus. You are a very ill man. But is it therefore wrong of me to say that I likes yer thinking ?! :twisted:

#13 StagLord

StagLord

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:12 PM

Brilliant, Mr. Glancy. Brilliant. I like the cut of your jib, sir.

#14 rus

rus

Master

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

Rus. You are a very ill man. But is it therefore wrong of me to say that I likes yer thinking ?! :twisted:

:lol:

#15 PoC

PoC

Breakfast Clubber

• Administrator
  • 18,177 posts
  • LocationInnsmouth House, Yorkshire Branch

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:50 PM

We've had a couple of private comments on this thread concerning content/reception. While Call of Cthulhu often contains adult & mature topics that are discussed in game terms, I'd be grateful if people could keep an eye on the nature of their posts in light of this being a publicly accessible forum.

Many thanks!

Paul