Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

DEAD BUT DREAMING 2
Writers' Guidelines
9-28-09

Dead But Dreaming 2 is the follow-up to the popular Lovecraftian horror fiction anthology Dead But Dreaming, originally published in 2001 by DarkTales Publications and since reprinted -- and given a wider audience -- by Miskatonic River Press in 2008. Dead But Dreaming is frequently cited as the best anthology of Lovecraft-inspired fiction of the past decade: high praise when one considers how many such collections have been published in that time by better-known editors, authors, and publishers. The original Dead But Dreaming contained 15 stories totalling about 86,000 words. Most of those stories emphasized nameless cosmic horrors and personal brushes with the "outside" rather than name-brand figures from the Cthulhu Mythos of Lovecraft and his literary descendants. I eventually chose to select stories based on their use of what I termed the "dark epiphany" that dreadful moment where an individual is faced with evidence that the world he thought he knew is far more vast and uncaring and terrible than he could ever have dreamt in his worst nightmares. This realization is at the heart of what I think are some of the best examples of Lovecraftian fiction, and its absence is frequently why most stories of this ilk are dull, repetitive failures.

With Dead But Dreaming 2 I have no agenda other than to collect 100,000 words (hopefully about 17-18 stories) of the best original Lovecraftian/Cthulhu Mythos fiction I can find. While I tend to scorn most pastiche fiction -- justifiably, I think -- I'm going to try to be a little more receptive to name-brand Mythos elements for this volume. I'm a notoriously hard sell when it comes to Cthulhu Mythos fiction, however, so please don't send me stories containing lists of Mythos books or creatures, or hierarchies and family trees of alien entities, or Mary Sue characters who can rattle off their encyclopedic knowledge of the Mythos at the drop of a hat.

What I AM looking for is good stories first, and good cosmic horror second. To get some idea of my tastes in Lovecraftian horror, obviously the best place to start is with the original Dead But Dreaming anthology. The introduction there lays out my philosophy of what's wrong with most Cthulhoid fiction, and the stories in that book should give you some idea of the types of things I like. Probably the best Cthulhoid anthology of all time -- certainly my favorite -- is Ramsey Campbell's New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, containing several truly classic stories by David Drake, T.E.D. Klein, A.A. Attanasio, and Campbell himself. I greatly admire the voices and storytelling abilities of T.E.D. Klein and Thomas Ligotti, and two of my favorite modern Mythos stories are Karl Edward Wagne's pulpy "Sticks" and Ramsey Campbell's cosmic nightmare"The Tugging".

For Dead But Dreaming 2 we're looking for stories up to 10,000 words in length. No poetry, please, and I'm not much of a fan of humorous Mythos stories or parodies -- again, such a thing would be a hard sell with me.

As an avowed Luddite, I prefer hard copy submissions sent to the editorial address listed at the end of this prospectus. Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope or a valid email address for my reply, and if you want your manuscript returned include sufficient postage. Multiple submissions are permitted as long as you don't send more than three stories at a time, and no more than three stories per month. If you wish to send an email copy, please contact me first via the Miskatonic River Press website. If an electronic submission is arranged, please have your story saved in Rich Text Format -- again, see Luddite admission above.

If your story is accepted, Miskatonic River Press will buy the First North American Serial Rights to your story. Payment will be in the form of royalties based on the book's cover price, number of copies sold, and the number of contributors. We are open to submissions beginning immediately (September 2009), with a final deadline for stories being May 31, 2010. Publication is tentatively planned for August 2010 -- the 120th anniversary of Lovecraft's birth. If you have any questions, please contact me or Tom Lynch via the Miskatonic River Press website.

Kevin Ross
Fiction Editor, Miskatonic River Press
www.miskatonicriverpress.com

Editorial address
Dead But Dreaming 2
1210 Greene St #4
Boone, Iowa 50036
USA
Tom Lynch
President & Managing Editor
Miskatonic River Press

#2 MikeC

MikeC

Community Patron

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:04 PM

Hmmmm.....

Would slightly pulpy submissions be accepted for consideration>

(I own DbD, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet, sorry Tom).

MikeC

#3 KRoss

KRoss

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

Ladies and Gentle-Squids,

Tom Lynch has reminded me that I need to announce that the deadline for submissions for Miskatonic River Press' Dead But Dreaming 2 anthology has been extended. I don't have a book-full of good solid stories yet, so we're going to push back the deadline for subs until September 1st, at least. We don't want to rush the book, since it's got a helluva stiff reputation to live up to with its predecessor.

So keep those stories coming, and don't feel you have to Next Day Air stories to me to meet the deadline of this weekend. Plenty of time. Send me something frogging brilliant.

Sincerely (or at least as sincere as I get anyways),

Kevin Ross
MRP fiction editor

#4 GreatRedShark

GreatRedShark

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

You've just made my wallet very happy, and FedEx very sad.

Thanks for the update, Kevin. We'll try to do you, MRP, and the Ghosts of Mythos Writers Past proud.
www.cosmicomicon.blogspot.com

#5 tlynch999

tlynch999

Lesser Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

<Bump!>

I just want to remind everyone that we're still looking for submissions, and hope to hear from fellow Yoggies for this project. By all means, scrawl something down and send it on to Kev.

Thanks!
Tom Lynch
President & Managing Editor
Miskatonic River Press

#6 Tony

Tony

Keeper of the Silver Gate

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:17 PM

<Bump!>

I just want to remind everyone that we're still looking for submissions, and hope to hear from fellow Yoggies for this project. By all means, scrawl something down and send it on to Kev.

Thanks!

Is the deadline still September 1st?
A Pagan Publishing fanboy.

#7 KRoss

KRoss

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:07 AM

Is the deadline still September 1st?

Nah, I'm going to need at least another couple of months to get enough good stories to make this a worthy successor to the first DBD. Let's say December 1st for now, give or take a month or so.

Kevin Ross
DBD editor

#8 GreatRedShark

GreatRedShark

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:14 PM

I'll be sending you off two offerings (one is the rewrite) in the next 2-3 weeks, and then at least two more before December.

Quantity over quality, and all that... ;)

#9 KRoss

KRoss

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

Hey Squids,

One last reminder that the el finale deadline for submissions for MRP's Dead But Dreaming 2 fiction anthology is December 1st. You've got about a month left to send me your stories. The book is looking good so far, but I can always use more good stories. Send me something great!

Kevin Ross
Deaditor

#10 GreatRedShark

GreatRedShark

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

With the permission of the MRP higher ups, I officially spilled the beans on DBD2 in my little corner of the creamy ether:

http://cosmicomicon....thankfully.html

#11 Cthulhudude

Cthulhudude

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

Congrats, Shark. Can't wait to read it.
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos.
Know Nyarlathotep, know chaos.

#12 GreatRedShark

GreatRedShark

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:26 AM

Thanks, 'dude!

#13 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:01 AM

Huzzah, sir! :D

-=b
Designer of Eldritch Tomes for Chaosium, Pagan, MRP, GGP
www.squamousstudios.com || Twitter: @squamousstudios
The only way to escape terror is to bury yourself in it.

#14 GreatRedShark

GreatRedShark

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:47 PM

Tanx, Badge!

#15 Cthulhudude

Cthulhudude

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:17 PM

WOO HOO! Looks like you and I are going to be book-mates, Shark. I just poked the powers that be and that gave me the nod that my tale, "Father's Day" will also be in DBD2. YAY! YAY! YAY! Hey, maybe they will be printed one after the other and out little stories can can hold hands? *blush*

#16 GreatRedShark

GreatRedShark

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:23 PM

HUGE CONGRATS, CTHULHUDUDE!

Nothing wrong with a little inter-story fraternization. Builds character. :)

#17 KRoss

KRoss

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:20 AM

That tears it!

There will be absolutely NO inter-story fraternization in Dead But Dreaming 2, and that's final! You perverts.

For the record, submissions are now officially closed for DBD2. Looks like a pretty good book, if I do say so meself. 22 stories, just over 100K words, with lots more recognizable names than last time, including (obviously) a few that hang around these rather seedy parts. I need to finalize the contents a bit, gain permissions, rough out a story order, and finish my intro, and it'll be finished.

And so will I.

Kevin Ross
editor, Dead But Dreaming 2

#18 GreatRedShark

GreatRedShark

Knight of the Outer Void

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:08 AM

All of us, both writers and readers, appreciate the hard work you put into this sucker, Kevin.

Can't wait to see the completed tome.

#19 KRoss

KRoss

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:41 AM

All of us, both writers and readers, appreciate the hard work you put into this sucker, Kevin.

Can't wait to see the completed tome.

Many thanks for the kind words, Ted. It feels really nice to be this close to finishing the last of the FIVE big book-length projects I've shepherded over the past two years. Finally able to give DBD2 some quality time after all that. It's got a more personal slant than the first volume, while still containing more overtly Cthulhoid elements (ie. name-brand stuff). Plus, as I said, lots of more familiar Lovecraftian writers than before.

As for me, nothing else on the horizon at this point, nothing else owed to anybody. I reckon I'm a damned dangerous individual right now.

Hopefully you'll be seeing DBD2 sometime next year.

Yaaaaah!
KAR
DBD2 ed

#20 Cthulhudude

Cthulhudude

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:04 AM

What he said. :) Thanks so much for the hard work. If you've never headed up a book before you don't know how big of a pain in an a$$ it can be to do so. So for all that thanks again, Kevin.