Photo
- - - - -

What is YOUR scariest movie scene?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 Cthulhudude

Cthulhudude

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 06:56 PM

After posting that highly questionable (IMHO) list last week I got to wondering, what would you say is the one scene in all horror movie history that has scared you the most? I’m talking about the absolute F-ing limit on fright as far as you’re concerned.

Again, I want to know what scene, not what movie. Case in point, while The Exorcist is the movie that frightened me the most overall (and the only one that can still give me chills today) my scariest scene isn’t in that movie.

So come on, tell me yours and I’ll tell you mine. And be honest no matter how silly the scene was that totally freaked you out. Trust me, mine is kind of silly but that’s fear for you, it’s often irrational. That’s what makes it fun. :)
No Nyarlathotep, no chaos.
Know Nyarlathotep, know chaos.

#2 Nick_B

Nick_B

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:52 PM

The bit with the telly in Ringu.

#3 Graeme_P

Graeme_P

Knight of the Outer Void

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:15 PM

The end of "The Medusa Touch" where the French cop switches off Dickie Burton's life support machine, his eyes open... and his dying hand grabs a pen and scrawls [REDACTED due to spoilers] on the bedsheet.

Don't really know why this freaks me out so much. In retrospect and in isolation from the rest of the movie it's not that scary, but in context it gave me the screaming willies. I fisrt saw "The Medusa Touch" when I was about 10 and it left me sleepless for about a week.

Graeme

#4 Nick_B

Nick_B

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:59 PM

The end of "The Medusa Touch" where the French cop switches off Dickie Burton's life support machine, his eyes open... and his dying hand grabs a pen and scrawls [REDACTED due to spoilers] on the bedsheet.

GOOD CALL. I haven't seen that movie since I was about 10 either, but I remember it as if it were yesterday. In fact, i vividly recall having to ask my Mum what [REDACTED due to spoilers] was, and then thinking '****!'.

#5 DarkAges

DarkAges

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 10:56 PM

5-year old: the winged gorilla in Latitude Zero.
7-year old: the Morlocks coming out of their holes in Time Machine.
21-year old: opening dream scene in Nightmare on Elm Street.
I remember some scenes putting me on edge in Ghost Story, where you expect the woman to turn around and be the ghost.
Few years back: the horrible dwarf at the end of Don't Look Now.
Few years back: the first "transition" in the PS1 game Silent Hill.
Recently: scenes of The Others like the girl scaring her brother that there is somebody else in their (dark) bedroom; the girl "turning" into an old blind hag; the sudden sounds scaring the mom (and me) in the disused room; the strange scene with the door to the piano room.
Recently: the TV scenes in Ring and apparitions of Sadako in the Ringus.

There are others, but less memorable.
Stephane "Cthulhu Dark Ages"
http://home.kpn.nl/gesbe000/
email: stephane dot gesbert (at) gmail dot com

#6 BMonroe

BMonroe

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:00 PM

But the one scene... of all the vast number of horror films I've seen... the one that still to this day gives me butterflies in my stomach and makes me squirm like a little kid...

Hellraiser: The scene where the dad is levering the mattress up the stairs and slices his hand open on a nail.

Man, just thinking about that one makes me queasy...

#7 mike

mike

Neophyte

• 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:20 AM

This isn't the scene that scared me the most, but it does make me cringe everytime I think about it. In Zombie when they pull the lady's head through the hole in the door and a splinter goes right through her eye.

#8 ossadagowah

ossadagowah

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:39 AM

21-year old: opening dream scene in Nightmare on Elm Street.

Johnny Depp gets my personal Award for
Best Slasher Movie Death in an Elm Street movie.
Anata sekai o kakumei surush ga nai deshou?
Anata no susumu michi wa yoi shimashita.

#9 ossadagowah

ossadagowah

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:41 AM

One of my favorite scary scenes
feature the Mystery Man talking to
Fred Madison, discussing how he
can be inside Fred's house. That and the
tape scenes from the movie.

One of my favorite horrifying scenes was
seeing Pyramid Head rape some of the
animated mannequins in Silent Hill 2.
Anata sekai o kakumei surush ga nai deshou?
Anata no susumu michi wa yoi shimashita.

#10 Zane

Zane

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 06:26 AM

I don't really like Horror movies. However, I am quite fond of post-holocaust movies. As such I just had to see "28 Days". My wife rented the DVD, and we made the mistake of reading what the DVD case said. The claims on the case that it was scariest movie ever (or something like that) had us both a little freaked out. We made it as far as the scene where the main character lights a candle in his folks house. At that point we were so totally freaked out we turned the TV off.

The next day I did some research, and found out that it wasn't supposed to be that scary of a movie, and we finished watching it. I really liked the movie, and just bought a copy a couple weeks ago.

As an ex-sailor, prior to that probably the scariest movie I'd seen was "The Perfect Storm".

Zane

#11 delrio

delrio

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:55 PM

Again, I want to know what scene, not what movie. Case in point, while The Exorcist is the movie that frightened me the most overall (and the only one that can still give me chills today) my scariest scene isn’t in that movie.

A scene from Exorcist III.

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Do not keep reading if you think you might ever want to watch this movie (it's better than the average horror sequel, having actually been done by the creator of the original).

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

In the hospital, an orderly hears something, and wanders down the corridor checking rooms. There's no music, and no camera movement during any of this. You keep waiting for something awful to happen, as the seconds tick by, listening to his shoes scuffling, and doors squeaking. He checks room after room, you get 2 or 3 real moments of nail-biting tension, and then finally it seems like it was nothing after all. He turns his back and walks into the room across the hall, making you think the scene is over. At which point a figure swathed in white follows him across the corridor, holding a pair of giant shears open at neck level. Nearly stopped my heart.

And believe it or not - the next scariest thing I've seen was the opening scene from the new Dawn of the Dead movie.

Del Rio
Delta Green: Rising Tide (rebooted April 2013)

#12 Acorn

Acorn

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:19 PM

5-year old: the winged gorilla in Latitude Zero.
7-year old: the Morlocks coming out of their holes in Time Machine.
... Few years back: the horrible dwarf at the end of Don't Look Now.
Recently: the TV scenes in Ring and apparitions of Sadako in the Ringus.

That dwarf in "Don't Look Now" ... (shudder) I'd forgotten about that. It seriously creeped me out as a kid and still does.

I found the scene with the horse on the boat in "Ring" really disturbing, for reasons I can't really put my finger on. I also flinched at the brief shot of the dead girl in the closet.

The scene in "Don't Look Now" reminds me of my own nightmares. A scene that did so even more was the bit with the two kids playing with their dolls and talking nursery rhymes in "Beyond the Door." I can't even describe this scene in any way that would make sense. It's not a good movie, but that scene really gets to me.

As a kid, the most frightening scene I can remember is the murder in "Suddenly Last Summer," which my grandmother foolishly thought was okay for me to see (when "official" horror films were sometimes deemed off-limits). That one haunted me for years.

#13 BMonroe

BMonroe

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:58 PM

A scene from Exorcist III.

I have to say, that as soon as you mentioned Exorcist III, before I read any further I thought.. "Man that scene with the guy in white with the shears scared the hell out of me..."

#14 Cthulhudude

Cthulhudude

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 06:12 PM

Real quick about Exorcist III: delrio & zomben, good call, that movie as a whole wasn’t great but that one scene was masterful.

Now for mine, but before we begin let me stat that I’m not an overly religious person. I’m not an atheist or anti-religious but I’m not what you would call a true believer or anything despite being raised as a Christian. The reason I mention this is it plays a part in my confusion as to why I’m so scared of the following scene. Hell it’s basically just a single image but for some unknown reason it still creeps me out like nothing else. Even to this day when I’m watching the movie again and I know its coming I’ll “conveniently” be looking somewhere other than the screen when it’s on. How chicken **** is that? :oops:

Anyway, the movie is the original Carrie but surprise, it’s not the scene you first think of when that movie is mentioned (the last one that made everyone crap themselves). The scene I’m talking about happens right after Carrie comes from a very bad night at the prom and her psychotic zealot of a mother comes after her with a knife. Carrie must defend herself so she does some psychic mojo and whips 8 or so other knives into dear old mum and pins her standing up in an archway. Naturally this freaks Carrie out and the house starts to come down all around her so she runs into her “prayer closet” that her mother would lock her in and this is when it happens.

In the closet there was always a large crucifix complete with Jesus in all his “passion”. Well this time the figure of Jesus has been replaced by, or changed to look like, the image of Carrie’s mother as she was crucified by Carrie with the knives in the doorway. The Jesus/mom figure has its arms all cockeyed, there’s blood and tiny knives sticking out of it and it even has long red hair. Then the house comes apart and Carrie “dies”.

And that’s it, that’s the scene that still haunts me to this day and I don’t know why. I can eat 95% of horror movies for breakfast without the tinniest shudder but a little metamorphic crucifix and I fall all to pieces? And as I said, I’m not even a believer. Oh well, I’m sure my shrink could come up with some deep seeded reason as to why that image affects me so, too bad I killed and ate her last month. *sigh* I guess I’ll never know. :(

Hey, I told you mine was silly, so back off! But if I can admit to something as inane as that frightening me YOU out there should have no excuse not to share your fears.

#15 thor

thor

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:03 AM

Thats quite fine- you dont need to get defensive about it... *snickers* In any case, the first scene from the movie version of "The Stand" (I love that book) when "Dont fear the reaper" comes on

#16 CharlesDexterWard

CharlesDexterWard

Son of Yog-Sothoth

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 03:47 AM

I can't think of a scene in a movie that scared me as much as one episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker. I was only 10 when the show was on, but the episode with the female vampire scared me so much I had to change the channel and didn't see how it ended until 14 years later in a late-night rerun. A very simple scene of her hands clawing their way out of the dirt freaked me out. I held on, but the scene of her baring fangs & tossing someone around like a rag doll just freaked me out and I switched channels. (I think the scene went something like this: she was feasting on a man who picked her up in a bar and taken the vamp to his apartment; he was dead and his wife came home early and was attacked.)

I can't think of a movie moment that scared me more than that. Although some great "shock" moments (like the head popping out of the damaged boat hull in Jaws) really made me jump in my seat.
"He stumbled on things no mortal ought ever to know, and reached back through the years as no one ever should reach; and something came out of those years to engulf him." - H. P. Lovecraft, 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward'

#17 cynick

cynick

Greater Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:30 PM

Cthulhudude, I always thought the way Carrie's mother was killed (with all the knives, forks, etc sticking out of her) was supposed to be a reference to the martyrdom of St. Sebastian, but I could be wrong - haven't seen the movie in a while.

Plenty of films have given me a good shock (the head scene in Jaws, various scenes in The Thing, etc, etc), a lot have grossed me out (the recent remake of Chainsaw Massacre was way OTT compared to the original), and many have moments of high tension (too many to name), but I don't recall being scared by anything in a movie for a very long time.

The last time a film ever truly scared me was when I first saw The Incredible Shrinking Man for the first time. I must have been around 7 or 8 at the time, but the scene in the cellar where he fights the spider with a pin had me leaving the lights on all night and checking for spiders for about a week. Surprisingly enough I'm not even arachnaphobic. The last scene, where he ponders his final destiny now strikes me as being very Lovecraftian in nature.
We do not stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing - George Bernard Shaw

#18 DarkAges

DarkAges

Knight of the Outer Void

• PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:34 PM

I suddenly remember a movie I "accidentally" saw on TV, probably a B-film, with a group of people stranded on a strangely empty earth, in an airport or something. The sense of "emptiness" was strangely haunting, and there was this undefinable ominous sound that seemed to come from very far and continuously increasing. Nothing really happened, but the eerie atmosphere and the growing anguish of the characters to understand what was going on and what was this sound I found fascinating.

Anybody knows the name of this film?

Regards,
Stephane "Cthulhu Dark Ages"
http://home.kpn.nl/gesbe000/
email: stephane dot gesbert (at) gmail dot com

#19 Cthulhudude

Cthulhudude

Lesser Servitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:39 PM

Sounds like “The Langoliers”, a short story by Stephen King that was made into a made-for-TV movie. The story was ok at best and the TV flick was worse. Did someone get beat down with a toaster? :twisted: If so, that was “The Langoliers” (IIRC).

#20 Badger

Badger

Greater Servitor

• Old Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 01:31 AM

I got a few:

- There was an X-Files episode called "Home" that was banned from Fox after its first showing (though you can catch it on the FX network from time to time); it was all about the inbred family that refused to leave their home, had the mother hidden under the bed on rollers, booby trap-fu, dead baby-fu, best use of sand lot baseball in a horror show...Joe Bob sez check it out.

- A scene in The Shining where Shelley Duvall's character looks down that hallway, and sees a fellow dressed in a pig suit, going down on another person wearing a smart tux. It was just so bizarre and creepy- very madness inducing moment. I couldn't scratch that image out of my brain for days.

- The "spider crawling" scene in the re-release of The Exorcist. I don't normally jump out of my chair and scream "Aaagh!!!" during horror flicks, but that little bit did it to me.

-Badger